Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GPS QUESTION, WHICH ONE TO BUY. THIS IS MY LIST OF WHAT I WANT OUT A GPS. PLEASE FILL FREE TO ADD ANY SUGGESTION.

I USE MAGELLAN TRX7, oNX OFFROAD AND PAPER MAP.

IF IT’S A MOBILE APP. IT HAS TO BE ABLE TO WORK OFFLINE. PRE DOWNLOADING MAP.

APP ON MY COMPUTER TO PLAN DOWNLOAD OR SYNC ROUTES AND WAYPOINTS TO MY DEVICE. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO PRE PLAN SOME OF MY TRIP. MAKE A FILE FOR EACH AREA I RIDE. WHEN I GET HOME, BEING ABLE SYNC TO MY COMPUTER. MOVE AND ORGANIZE ON MY COMPUTER , THEN SYNC IT TO MY DEVICE

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
MAKING TRACKS AND WAYPOINTS. BEING ABLE TO SAVE TRACK TO A SD CARD OR MEMORY ON MY DEVICE. MOVING, SHARING AND STORING GXP FILES. YOU HAVE TO HAVE AWAY TO MOVE SAVE TRACK & WAYPOINTS OFF YOUR DEVICE, IF NOT AFTER TIME. IT STARTS GETTING CLUTTERED .

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ROUTING. BEING ABLE TO PICK ONE OF MY TRACKS AND IT MAKES A ROUTE EVEN IF THE TRACKS ARE OFF ROAD. THE DEVICE I HAVE NOW HAS A BACKTRACK

HAVING TOPO, MAP, SATELLITE OR HYBRID VIEW.

I WANT TO BE ABLE TO PUT MY SON IN MY SIDE BY SIDE AND KNOW HE CAN FIND HIS WAY BACK TO CAMP

ON ONE MY PHONE GPS APPS onX OFFROAD SHOW PRIVATE PROPERTY LINE. THAT HELP KEEP ME OUT OF TROUBLE.

AND I USE A GOOD PAPER MAP. I KNOW SO OLD SCHOOL RIGHT!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Received one as a Christmas gift, it is a Garmin and has all of the National Parks and the areas I ride in loaded. You can also download additional maps. It can save waypoints and fits my needs. Think it came from Best Buy. In any do a search and see if consumer reports have evaluations. Ray you might consider not using all caps, no worries just saying. Ride safe and be sure to have fun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ROUTING. BEING ABLE TO PICK ONE OF MY TRACKS AND IT MAKES A ROUTE EVEN IF THE TRACKS ARE OFF ROAD. THE DEVICE I HAVE NOW HAS A BACKTRACK

HAVING TOPO, MAP, SATELLITE OR HYBRID VIEW.

I WANT TO BE ABLE TO PUT MY SON IN MY SIDE BY SIDE AND KNOW HE CAN FIND HIS WAY BACK TO CAMP

ON ONE MY PHONE GPS APPS onX OFFROAD SHOW PRIVATE PROPERTY LINE. THAT HELP KEEP ME OUT OF TROUBLE.

AND I USE A GOOD PAPER MAP. I KNOW SO OLD SCHOOL RIGHT!
Received one as a Christmas gift, it is a Garmin and has all of the National Parks and the areas I ride in loaded. You can also download additional maps. It can save waypoints and fits my needs. Think it came from Best Buy. In any do a search and see if consumer reports have evaluations. Ray you might consider not using all caps, no worries just saying. Ride safe and be sure to have fun.
[/QUOTE
I used Garmin for years and always love them. I can't see that good anymore. Needed something with a bigger screen At the time I bought the Magellan the newest Garmin

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
I mounted mine up high to stay out of the water and mud. Took a bit of searching to find the right mount -- below is a picture.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
I use mine in the Talon and also have a mount in our Winnebago I just switch it out. Serves as a street guide in the Winnebago and I use the GPS function in the Talon. Let me know what you end up with and how you mount it. Always looking for a better way to install stuff. Have fun and ride safe.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Nice, I would move mine over but have 7 extra switches and a module for the second battery located there. Just not a lot of room in the Talon for add ons.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have you add more graphics to your door. If you don't mind send me a better side view pic

·
Registered
48 Posts
just a tip on saving decals from pressure washer. If you have one with changable tips (Mine is 3GPM & 3,000PSI), you can buy a white tip (I think 40 degree) for a 4GPM and it should drop pressure to say 1,500PSI and still have full water flow. For me, it gets the mud and crap off and I have not had an issue with decals since started going that way. Most of the lower PSI washers don't have any GPM, plus most can't snap in foam gun

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Yup that I what I use came with 4 tips and the white one is what I use on decals, I still knock one off once and a while. Mud riding is fun but clean up is a chore. Do ride safe and have fun doing it.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Yup works fine some of the stickers are not very good others top quality never a problem. In any case I just slap another one on. No worries.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I used to run the Garmin Montana with OnX hunt maps. They show most of the trails out there and let you know what land you are on, private, national parks, state trust, whatever. I used Garmin Base Camp on my PC to organize, up load and down load.

I wanted to combine devices and simplify so I am using my old IPhone SE with the OnX hunt map app. You can use it on cellular or if no service, you can down load detailed maps and satellite images. My iPhone runs my chase lights blue tooth and music to my intercom blue tooth.

It would be better with a larger screen like my iPhone 8, but I'm not sure I want to use it due to dust, even though I have it in a life proof case🤔😝

You can set it up and it will show you single track, limited width trails, high clearance 4x4 and even shows closed trails.

So if you have a phone and don't want to spend $200-$1000 depending which gps unit you chose, here is an option to try.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts