Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good GPS unit to get. I get lost in my own town. The megallian says it comes with trails already downloaded. Anybody have experience with these or like units?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon R
9 Posts
I’m going with the Garmin Overlander. I haven’t ordered it yet but I currently use a Etrex handheld that’s great just too small a screen for reading while moving. The garmin on my motorcycle is awesome and I assume fairly similar in design just with the offroad perks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
i have the Magellan trx7. I bought it early before Yamaha started using them. It is an android so little clunky compared to a mac, but updates in software have improved it quite a bit. If get one, be sure to get the TRX7 as some of the other models look same but are not dust and water proof. Like any tablet, you need a good mount or it will vibrate around. I have had it mounted above my head on roll bar, but when I moved the gauge to in front of me, I used that spot to mount GPS. In that location passenger can do more where above head, it is just you. I did not have a lot of luck with the ram mounts handling the weight. It starts up with key on if plug in lighter hole, but it has to be manually shut down at end of day. It will put screen to sleep after few minutes but battery still goes down over time. You do not loose data if battery goes dead, but have to charge enough to stay on to upload data to it. With practice you can record your path and save it. It has back track feature to get you back home (just remember it records all the wrong trails you took and you will have to pay attention when you come to a corner that you went several ways from or you make all the same mistakes on way home too LOL)

Maps are Ok and if you take time to down load additional stuff for arae before leaving home, it is even better. I have not tried the stat view because you almost need your route laided out so you can down load the data at home. Would be good idea for ride park with specific boundies, but not real practical if doing 100 mile day.

I have tried using some of the tablet units, but to me once learn it, it is more durable. Just my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
216 Posts
I used to run the Garmin Montana with OnX hunt maps. They show most of the trails out there and let you know what land you are on, private, national parks, state trust, whatever.

I want to combine devices and simplify so I am using my old IPhone SE with the OnX hunt map app. You can use it on cellular or if no service, you can down load detailed maps and satellite images.

It would be better with a larger screen like my iPhone 8, but I'm not sure I want to use it due to dust, even though I have it in a life proof case🤔😝

You can set it up and it will show you single track, limited width trails, high clearance 4x4 and even shows closed trails.

So if you have a phone and don't want to spend $200-$1000 depending which gps unit you chose, here is an option to try.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered the map book from vvmapping. They have wisconsin maps and thats where I ride. I like the GPS units and will get one but want to make sure I get the right maps. From what I read about alot of the stuff out there they do not have the upper Midwest on them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks, that is just what I wanted to see! I have the superATV windshield too. I think moving the instruments is in my near future.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm using the trx7 Magellan and OnX offroad. I'm really starting to like using the Magellan I've always been a Garmin fan there is a pretty good learning curve but it has some nice features. You just can't beat that big screen. I like using the OnX Offroad because it shows you private property boundaries. I also incorporate using a good paper map.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm using the Samsung Galaxy Tab with Gaia GPS on a huge RAM mount bolted to the passenger grab handle. Steady as a rock. Jury's out on Gaia.
POL_7998.JPG
POL_7999.JPG
The off-road guides use it, but I don't like the maps for northern Nevada.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm using the Samsung Galaxy Tab with Gaia GPS on a huge RAM mount bolted to the passenger grab handle. Steady as a rock. Jury's out on Gaia.
View attachment 890 View attachment 891 The off-road guides use it, but I don't like the maps for northern Nevada.
Yeah I use Gaia, but it just doesn't show many of the trails. I mainly use it to give trail tracks to my friend, not for my use.

·
Registered
216 Posts
View attachment 890 View attachment 891 The off-road guides use it, but I don't like the maps for northern Nevada.
Yeah I use Gaia, but it just doesn't show many of the trails. I mainly use it to give trail tracks to my friend, not for my use.

·
Registered
216 Posts
30% off

·
Registered
7 Posts
What is a good GPS unit to get. I get lost in my own town. The megallian says it comes with trails already downloaded. Anybody have experience with these or like units?
Check out lifetime trail maps. I use it and is pretty good

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dave, yes the gage move is worth it. When ready, do a search for help (several threads on it). If you undo the harness, you do NOT have to move any of rocker switches. It just takes more time and patience.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts