Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a 5 day tour in the eastern Sierras/White Mountains/Inyo's (California), and I am pleased to see how much more OHV friendly the area is compared to the past. A lot of paved roads are now open so you can get from your campsite to the trailheads. I had to do one long stretch down a major highway, and nobody seemed to care. (Nice to have DOT approved tires.) And UTV's in town at the gas pumps, is a good sign.

Back in the day (early 80's), the hippies in Moab Utah would spit on you, just for riding a mountain bike. Then Jeeps took over, and how that place has changed!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hopefully Oregon will catch up soon and become more UTV friendly. We can't ride on any state or federal highways even if we are 'road legal'. Can't even ride down the shoulder in a town to get from one street to the next! It's odd to hear that California is more relaxed then Oregon! The local counties decide if you can ride on county roads, and local cities decide if you can ride in town. The 'authorities' in Oregon are control freaks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hopefully Oregon will catch up soon and become more UTV friendly. We can't ride on any state or federal highways even if we are 'road legal'. Can't even ride down the shoulder in a town to get from one street to the next! It's odd to hear that California is more relaxed then Oregon! The local counties decide if you can ride on county roads, and local cities decide if you can ride in town. The 'authorities' in Oregon are control freaks!
You still can't pump your own gas!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Actually the state finally has allowed counties with large areas and small populations to have self serve gas stations, and many service stations in those areas have self serve available after hours. Way overdue!

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably, these communities now realize that OHV tourism is an important part of their economy, and they shouldn't bite the hand that feeds them. This is Inyo County, and I will be interested to see how Mono County is doing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts