Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before the X4 came out, I remember reading an explanation of how Honda extended the frame from behind the front seats. In the X4 they placed the anemic fuel tank under the rear seat.
So....I thought that maybe there should still be the real-estate left for another tank in the original two seater position. Well, there is. The only requirement is to remove about 4" from the foot-well of the rear passenger. So having purchased an original tank and pump/sender unit off Ebay, I intent to install it. I intend to add an additional aluminum skid-plate to protect it as well. With 15 gallons on board, even with the Turbo, I should have plenty of range. Aside from the second filler cap, it will be concealed. Does anyone see any issues that I am not seeing?

·
Registered
220 Posts
You will have another vent but you should be able to "T" them together.

How are you tying them together? Switching from one tank to the other? You have a pump, sender and fuel pressure to deal with.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will have another vent but you should be able to "T" them together.

How are you tying them together? Switching from one tank to the other? You have a pump, sender and fuel pressure to deal with.
I'm thinking of switching all the circuit paths: pump, level sender with one switch. I did this on my Landcruiser and it worked great.
I just need to put a ball check valve in the fuel lines so it won't pump from one tank to another.
When the first tank runs low I flip the switch and I get the secondary tank level on the guage as well.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm thinking of switching all the circuit paths: pump, level sender with one switch. I did this on my Landcruiser and it worked great.
I just need to put a ball check valve in the fuel lines so it won't pump from one tank to another.
When the first tank runs low I flip the switch and I get the secondary tank level on the guage as well.
That should work!

I make one suggestion... The fuel gauge is connected directly to the cluster and it has some sensitive electronics and can trigger a fuel level sensor problem code so I suggest you only switch the tanks with the key off.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This was a much easier solution than adding an additional tank. Rotopax, more weight to soften that rear bucking suspension and no loss of footwell for rear passengers. Extra six gallons and Iade the mounts for cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts