Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed yesterday while driving in a straight line that the steering wheel was turned about 20 degrees left of center. The vehicle was however tracking straight, with no steering wheel input. I got out to inspect the front end and the wheels seem to be toed out a very noticeable amount. Normally, I would assume that I hit something that misaligned my steering, but when this morning I called my alignment guy to make an appointment (who himself also became a recent owner of a Talon!), he said his is the same way, and he has been thinking about that!

So, is this what anyone else has experienced? Is a large amount of toe out normal for this machine? I am running Terra Master tires (30X10-15") on Method 410 rims (15X7", 5+2 offset just like stock rims). Are my tires/rims perhaps affecting this? Around here, dealerships are all closed on Sunday/Monday, so I can't call them or go in and look at a machine sitting on the showroom floor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just took delivery and same was true of mine.

my E tracks on the trailer are wider than the wheel base and so the wheel nets pull outward on the tire so I wondered if that had done it but my buddy who helped install the tracks helped build the Honda land speed record bike a few years ago and said they trailer stuff like that all the time. So Interesting you and your friend found the same issue with the steering wheel. Mine was at least 45 degrees to the left.

I noticed yesterday while driving in a straight line that the steering wheel was turned about 20 degrees left of center. The vehicle was however tracking straight, with no steering wheel input. I got out to inspect the front end and the wheels seem to be toed out a very noticeable amount. Normally, I would assume that I hit something that misaligned my steering, but when this morning I called my alignment guy to make an appointment (who himself also became a recent owner of a Talon!), he said his is the same way, and he has been thinking about that!

So, is this what anyone else has experienced? Is a large amount of toe out normal for this machine? I am running Terra Master tires (30X10-15") on Method 410 rims (15X7", 5+2 offset just like stock rims). Are my tires/rims perhaps affecting this? Around here, dealerships are all closed on Sunday/Monday, so I can't call them or go in and look at a machine sitting on the showroom floor.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Very normal in my opinion. Every side by side I've owned I have set the toe and recentered the steering wheel. I typically set my toe at around an 1/8 of an inch in. Then as long as you're steering rack is centered properly I then center the steering wheel. Doesn't take much time. New rims and tires will not change the steering settings like that....

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Very normal in my opinion. Every side by side I've owned I have set the toe and recentered the steering wheel. I typically set my toe at around an 1/8 of an inch in. Then as long as you're steering rack is centered properly I then center the steering wheel. Doesn't take much time. New rims and tires will not change the steering settings like that....
Easy to do with two people and a tape measure. Front of wheel centerline of tire to centerline of other tire first front then back. I use 2 each 12 by 12 1/2 inch PVC squares on each tire. Allows accurate measurements and adjustments without having to "settle" suspension after adjustments.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have a service manual yet. Does anyone know if it specifies a specific amount of toe out (or in)? Haven't measured mine yet, but by eyeball it looks like an inch or maybe more.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went into the dealer this morning and they printed out the specs off of the servicemanagerpro web site, and the Toe In is listed as 0-0 mm. I had everyone in the shop look at a Talon sitting on the floor and they all agreed that by eyesight it appeared to be toed out a significant amount.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Someone at the factory who should be checking this before it leaves for the dealer's must be absent or asleep on the job. That much toe-out will eat the edges off the tires in short order.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did the old measure the width between the front and rear of the tires, and the difference is all of 3/4". So that is a big amount of toe out compared to the 0 specified.

Also, I remember reading that the Live Valve system has a steering position sensor. This is so the system can distinguish between suspension changes from cornering vs a hit from the terrain vs just bein gplain old off-camber. So, the wheel being canted 20 degrees to the left makes it not enough to just recenter the wheel, but it is very important that it also be at top dead center!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts