Honda Talon Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
im having problems getting the driveline out...does anyone that has done it have any advice or tips?
ive slid the front diff fwd, removed the driveline hoops but cannot get it to slide out of the front diff?
It's a tight fit, but it was possible. I think I left it in the front & was able to remove the rear first. Then the front was pulled out & the whole assembly was removed from the rear, along side the passenger side of the engine. I'm sure the first time is the hardest. If I ever have the front diff out for any reason, I think a little work w/ a die grinder on the differential housing & as well as the frame, would provide that extra 1/16" of movement that would make this a much easier task.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
It helps if you can get three people, two in the front to pull diff up and forward and one in the rear to pull back and hold the shaft. If only one person suggest you pull both front axles and then slide the front diff housing forward as far as you can get it. It is a pain and I used crow bars to push the diff up and and forward. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2019 Talon R. View attachment 936 Anyone else have the U joints on the front driveline fall apart? Mine did. On the rear spicer joint. Looks like the C clip fell off & the bearing cup vanished. Honda is giving me a whole new drive shaft, under warranty. If I get to keep the old one, I'm going to take it to a good driveline shop & see if there's a replacement joint available. Hopefully w/ better quality C clips....
Has anyone on here had this problem return after the first repair?

·
Registered
158 Posts
im having problems getting the driveline out...does anyone that has done it have any advice or tips?
ive slid the front diff fwd, removed the driveline hoops but cannot get it to slide out of the front diff?
Well you definitely don't need to follow the service manual on how to replace your front prop shaft / drive shaft. I replaced mine with my machine sitting in the shed. I did not jack it up or remove any wheels or axles. Once you get the floor board and side cover off on the driver side, which feels like it has 9,000 plastic rivets! :) At that point all's you need to do is remove the two safety loops and the three bolts that hold in the front diff. With the three bolts removed on the front diff that gives you enough play to remove the drive shaft. You will need to remove the front portion from the front diff first. It is shorter than the rear and you will have enough room with the play in the front diff to pull it out. The retaining clip on the front diff is a pain and was the hardest part of the easy job. If you didn't have to remove the plastics to access the drive shaft it would take less than an hour to do.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts