Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 Talon R. P9141750.JPG Anyone else have the U joints on the front driveline fall apart? Mine did. On the rear spicer joint. Looks like the C clip fell off & the bearing cup vanished. Honda is giving me a whole new drive shaft, under warranty. If I get to keep the old one, I'm going to take it to a good driveline shop & see if there's a replacement joint available. Hopefully w/ better quality C clips....

·
Registered
12 Posts
All I can say is that by bringing it into Honda dealership the company will have to address the issue during the next relevant business meeting. Maybe even generate a recall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't mention in my original post that my R had only 630 miles when the U joint failed. It took Honda a few weeks to get me the new driveline. My old one was not repairable due to the yoke being destroyed. I showed the new one to a very reputable shop in Reno & they highly recommended balancing it & even replacing the joints w/ better quality parts. They speculated that the problem was it being out of balance. Not wanting to spend the time or $$ to heed their advice, I just installed it as is & hoped for the best. It is a pretty easy install. Maybe this winter I'll pull it out & have it upgraded.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Interesting.... You did the work yourself? Mine was under warranty but it took 10 shop days to complete. But a got a wash out of the deal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If mine makes it thru till winter I'm going to take it out and have a good drive line shop re build mine with good parts and balance it,,, preventive failure,,, another Honda drive line will just do the same thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I lost my front one in the middle of the Sawtooths at 1101 miles. Scared the crap out of us! Warranty fixed it and at the time this happened to me they said they had just heard of another one that popped at 700 miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A friend of mine has a 2021 Talon X
That lost the u joint at about 800 miles
So it’s not just the first run ones that are bad

·
Registered
23 Posts
2019 Talon R. View attachment 936 Anyone else have the U joints on the front driveline fall apart? Mine did. On the rear spicer joint. Looks like the C clip fell off & the bearing cup vanished. Honda is giving me a whole new drive shaft, under warranty. If I get to keep the old one, I'm going to take it to a good driveline shop & see if there's a replacement joint available. Hopefully w/ better quality C clips....
We have 10 Talons in our group and never had this problem. One has 20k on it ,so we are keeping our fingers crossed!! T- BOB

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
It does happen, and you do not have to remove the half shafts, or disconnect the front final drive from electrical connections. Just remove front bumper and work it forward to get the forward drive shaft out. Drive shaft comes as a complete item with universal at about $180. I do not know of any aftermarket U joint fix -- should be only $20 or $30 dollars.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Same part number as RZR prop shaft u joint -lol - fought them into multiple rzr prop shafts - crappy castings required some filing to get c clips to seat correctly ......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts