Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 1000R. Only have 140 miles on it. Went riding this past weekend and nothing crazy at all just road hard. Well after cleaning it up I noticed that my front lower a-arm was pushed backwards and as I first looked I though a rock might of hit it. After more looking it wasn’t, but was bent back and creased the skid plate. Looking more there was stress on way more points that popped the paint. It is on both sides where paint has popped at the welds. The front pipe that goes from radiator that is like in a U with 2 holes drilled in it, creased right at the lower hole. Has anyone else had this problem. Need help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Pictures would sure help.

I have 2000 pretty hard miles of mostly sand dunes and rock crawling. I have hit dips pretty hard/fast, bottomed out on rocks with the stock skid plate and also flipped my machine 1.5 and landed on the roof. It has also been on its side (although it was a gentle lay down in the sand) and the only thing bent on my machine is the very rear of the roll cage from the flip and it is so slight I have not even replaced it and it happened 1986 miles ago (there was only 14 miles on the machine when I flipped it).

One time last fall, I came off a rise and hit so hard with the front I stopped to look because I was certain there was damage. Nothing bent or broken and the toe was still dead on. These machines are pretty tough in my opinion.

Was your machine a demo by any chance? DId it have more that a couple miles on it when you bought it? Are you sure that damage wasn't there when you bought the machine? Do the other welds look correctly placed?

Honda did have an issue with the early 2019's where the computerized welds on the cage were off a little and recalled a few machines and replaced the roll cages. Maybe the weld robot missed on your frame somehow?

Pictures, post lots of pictures!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for responding. Some of the last are where it’s stressing on passenger side.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pictures would sure help.

I have 2000 pretty hard miles of mostly sand dunes and rock crawling. I have hit dips pretty hard/fast, bottomed out on rocks with the stock skid plate and also flipped my machine 1.5 and landed on the roof. It has also been on its side (although it was a gentle lay down in the sand) and the only thing bent on my machine is the very rear of the roll cage from the flip and it is so slight I have not even replaced it and it happened 1986 miles ago (there was only 14 miles on the machine when I flipped it).

One time last fall, I came off a rise and hit so hard with the front I stopped to look because I was certain there was damage. Nothing bent or broken and the toe was still dead on. These machines are pretty tough in my opinion.

Was your machine a demo by any chance? DId it have more that a couple miles on it when you bought it? Are you sure that damage wasn't there when you bought the machine? Do the other welds look correctly placed?

Honda did have an issue with the early 2019's where the computerized welds on the cage were off a little and recalled a few machines and replaced the roll cages. Maybe the weld robot missed on your frame somehow?

Pictures, post lots of pictures!!!
Also it was brand new off the floor. I’ve had apart and back together as I put wench, stereo and amp, along with wheels and tires. There only 30” nothing to big.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wow !!!!

Very hard hit on something. Did you let anyone else drive it?

Frames obviously bent - contact insurance company?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow !!!!

Very hard hit on something. Did you let anyone else drive it?

Frames obviously bent - contact insurance company?
No I’m the only one. I’ve drove my rhino harder then I’ve drove this one. Brand new and baby it more. I don’t have a lot of money and the second thing besides my tractor that I’ve ever bought brand new. I’ve contacted Honda to see if something was wrong with this one, but I think it will be a while due to this virus crap. It bent the frame right behind the back lower a-arm bracket. This is why I’m reaching out to see if anyone else is ha omg this problem. There is no evidence of hitting anything that hard. Thank you for your direction.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That damage (lower A Arm mounts and upper frame) looks virtually identical to one of my riding buddies. He was going about 50 when he collided with another machine that crossed his path. Still drivable and hardly noticeable unless you really look at it. At first, they thought it only slightly bent a tie rod and didn't even notice the frame bent until the Dealer took a closer look.

My front skid plate (under the winch) is all bent to hell because I have bottomed out and hit stuff so many times and I don't have any frame damage. I quite straightening it out long ago, I just keep hitting stuff.

It takes a lot to bend one of these machines, your damage did not happen on a casual ride. You have paint peeling from metal moving and stress cracks all over the place. And some of that rust looks old.

I all but guarantee your machine has been in a collision of at least 30-50 MPH. If you didn't do it then it was that way when you bought it and you just didn't notice it until now.

How many miles did it have on it when you took delivery? The ODO on these from the factory is near zero so any miles on it were done at the dealer.

Maybe a word with your dealer is in order.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That damage (lower A Arm mounts and upper frame) looks virtually identical to one of my riding buddies. He was going about 50 when he collided with another machine that crossed his path. Still drivable and hardly noticeable unless you really look at it. At first, they thought it only slightly bent a tie rod and didn't even notice the frame bent until the Dealer took a closer look.

My front skid plate (under the winch) is all bent to hell because I have bottomed out and hit stuff so many times and I don't have any frame damage. I quite straightening it out long ago, I just keep hitting stuff.

It takes a lot to bend one of these machines, your damage did not happen on a casual ride. You have paint peeling from metal moving and stress cracks all over the place. And some of that rust looks old.

I all but guarantee your machine has been in a collision of at least 30-50 MPH. If you didn't do it then it was that way when you bought it and you just didn't notice it until now.

How many miles did it have on it when you took delivery? The ODO on these from the factory is near zero so any miles on it were done at the dealer.

Maybe a word with your dealer is in order.
It had 2 or 3 miles when I bought it. It has 150 miles now. No collision. Slide into a tree going downhill about 1 mph and just busted my headlight lense. It’s even stressed cracked paint on passenger side. There is no visible signs of bottoming out on anything or hitting the a-arm. Tie rod is straight. Top a-arms are fine no stress signs at all on them. I also just had it in for the 100 mile tune up before we went on this ride, and it lost a u-joint cap on the 4wheeler drive shaft close to engine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
shows a serious tangle with something as PaulF stated.

Is what it is - bent frame.
O yes it’s bent right behind that a arm mount. Shouldn’t be stressed on passenger side in different places. No body damage . If I hit something at even 10 mph or 5 there would be a whole lot more damage in other places.

·
Registered
54 Posts
O yes it’s bent right behind that a arm mount. Shouldn’t be stressed on passenger side in different places. No body damage . If I hit something at even 10 mph or 5 there would be a whole lot more damage in other places.
Buddy that hit at 50 MPH had NO body damage whatsoever. His tire met the other vehicle's tire. Impact side damage was almost identical to yours. Not sure about the opposite side, I will have to check on that.

Someone hitting a tall curb or parking barrier at 30 MPH at an angle favoring one side could possibly do damage like that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I don’t know, I’m the only one that’s drove it that I know of anyway. Haven’t hit anything with tire that would have been damaging. I have no clue. You would have to see it to get the whole effect. It’s hard with pics. Thanks thought for your thoughts. Guess I’ll wait to see what dealer says and go from there. Is there any frame stiffers that you can purchase to help prevent some of this stuff?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’m the only one that’s drove it that I know of anyway.
If you have taken it to the dealer for any service or warranty work then you are NOT the only one that has driven that machine. Some mechanics and lot boys have no scruples and will drive it like they stole it. You need to consider every possibility.

Is there any frame stiffers that you can purchase to help prevent some of this stuff?
Yes but you shouldn't need them unless you are on the Honda race team or running Portals...

·
Registered
2020 Honda 1000R Talon
14 Posts
You can only go so big with tires/ rims and the frame and structure will pay the price. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You can only go so big with tires/ rims and the frame and structure will pay the price. Just my two cents.
I have 14” wheels and 30” tires. So is that to big? It comes with 15” rims and 28” tires. You tell me?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts