Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Light is never on when the vehicle is first started, but always comes on after about 10 minutes of riding. Riding it with light on, even bashing big desert whoops, I can't perceive any major differences except that subjectively perhaps it bucks a little (to little rebound damping?).

What is everyone else's experience? Thankfully, still on warranty. Is this something the dealer will take weeks to sort out?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ours did it within the first 4 miles everything just driving around the neighborhood to break it in. Would reset every-time you shut if off. Took it to the track and never had an issue sense. Has to do with the steering sensor and the steering wheel alinement I believe. Try shutting it off wile out riding and let it rest. Then hammer down. If the light keep coming on. Take it in for the new steering sensor.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just had it realigned, and re-centered the steering wheel. It was toed out a couple degrees, and the steering wheel was at about 1/8 turn to the left, going straight down the road. It came from the factory like this....not the result of me bashing something. Was at the dealership the other day, and I called everyone in the shop over to look at a brand new Talon sitting on the floor, and everyone agreed that it looked dramatically toed out (to the naked eye).

Strangely, now you can turn the wheel way to the left, so far that the rim rubs the little protective gusset on the a-arm. Never could do that before. Can't turn it anywhere near that far to the right. Steering wheel is centered and tires are parallel and it goes straight down the road without any steering input. So yes, could very well be that it doesn't like what it is seeing from the steering position sensor.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone know how to determine when the steering position is centered and the computer is happy, relative to the front end alignment?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just had it realigned, and re-centered the steering wheel. It was toed out a couple degrees, and the steering wheel was at about 1/8 turn to the left, going straight down the road. It came from the factory like this....not the result of me bashing something. Was at the dealership the other day, and I called everyone in the shop over to look at a brand new Talon sitting on the floor, and everyone agreed that it looked dramatically toed out (to the naked eye).

Strangely, now you can turn the wheel way to the left, so far that the rim rubs the little protective gusset on the a-arm. Never could do that before. Can't turn it anywhere near that far to the right. Steering wheel is centered and tires are parallel and it goes straight down the road without any steering input. So yes, could very well be that it doesn't like what it is seeing from the steering position sensor.
Talons come with the steering wheel not installed, the Dealer puts it on and sometimes incorrectly.

I have seen several machines like this and all of them had the rack not centered. You need to center the rack, remove and center the steering wheel on the centered rack and then set the toe to the centered rack.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ours was straight when we received it. It slipped to off just like yours while driving around the neighborhood to break it in. We would make sure the wheel was centered when we would shut if off. We had marked the steering wheel with tape as to where center was. It ended up fixing itself. Glad you were able to get it fixed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've owned mine since Aug 20, light came on as I unloaded at home after coming from dealer, been to the shop 4 times, still not fixed, 1st try they did repositioning steering, 2nd try was they claimed some wire wasn't fully inserted into another for shocks, 3rd time was steering positioning sensor and 4th time is some part they ordered that was supposed to be here in mid December, still not here, so just waiting to see if this part fixes problem, then I'm done with it if this don't fix problem.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At this point, my suspicion is that the steering rack jumped a tooth. So, top-dead-center on the steering column can no longer matches up with the rack. I can turn the wheel way far to the left (until the rim rubs!), but will not turn anywhere near that much to the right. On warranty, so I have an appointment next week. Concerned because dealer has not seen this before, so it will take them a while and probably a call to Honda tech to sort it out.

Noticed that Jsportsxs is marketing an aftermarket rack. They prepped the desert race team machines last year, so maybe they already learned some hard lessons about the stock rack? It is not Live Valve compatible, but they are racing Live Valve machines this year, so maybe we will see something soon....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Honda will have them check three things. Some fixes are as easy as the connection to the suspension ECU or brain is not clicked in all the way. There is another connection in the center counsel area and then the Steering sensor. Our steering was way off also. I check all the connections. Turned it off with everything centered. Did a recalibration they walked me through and it was all good to go. No issues since. Just actually changed the shocks Saturday to test it as a non live valve on the track. See how it goes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey, let me know what you learn with steering rack jumping a tooth. When I first got my machine, steering wheel was centered perfectly.
I hit a stump within mile 2 on the machine at about 1MPH and then noticed steering wheel wasn’t centered.

In a not so smart move I just repositioned the steering wheel after measuring steering rods, etc.

Was kind of baffling to me and just didn’t want to deal with it I guess properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts