Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
FOUND THIS. Im still curious if anyone has done it?

Is Flat Towing an Option?
Towing a UTV can be done, especially for shorter distances, flat towing your UTV is not recommended. First of all, to do this, your vehicle needs to be street legal and registered with your state’s BMV, which most of UTVs, particularly straight from the factory, are not. Among other things, most of them are equipped with off-road “dirt” tires which are not street legal.

Besides, you don’t want to put unnecessary strain and mileage on your vehicle or your tires. Driving on a pavement with a speed of around 70 Mph will cause your stock tires to burn up and melt. Unlike cars or jeeps, UTVs do not have a tow bar option, so the alignment with the towing vehicle would be all screwed up. Adjusting alignment for towing means that once you reach your destination, you’ll have to readjust your vehicle all over again and repeat the process for a trip back home. Definitely not worth the effort.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Has anyone flat towed their Talon?
Does someone make a nice tow bar for it?
That's not something I would even think is an option! The rear diff. is a locked system and would bind up on every turn you made. And the tires are not DOT, I don't think your even going to make it more than 50 miles until it either binds up or the tires melt!

·
Registered
1 Posts
@skillets reference a car dolly.

I am contemplating it. Use tie downs to lock steering and back it onto tow dolly. Then in neutral, it does not engage trans or clutches, only final shaft in sub trans turns. With front tires on the ground, they are not locked like the rear. Should be no problem mechanically. I've got BFG KM3 that are pretty hard n handle the pavement well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback.
BTW, I have two trailers that are very capable of towing my Talon.
Still want to know if anyone has flat towed their Talon?

·
Registered
391 Posts
@skillets reference a car dolly.

I am contemplating it. Use tie downs to lock steering and back it onto tow dolly. Then in neutral, it does not engage trans or clutches, only final shaft in sub trans turns. With front tires on the ground, they are not locked like the rear. Should be no problem mechanically. I've got BFG KM3 that are pretty hard n handle the pavement well.
If you put the rear on a dolly, you can tow it in park. The driveline is hooked directly to the rear and detached from the front diff at the diff clutch. When not in 4WD, the front diff freewheels.

That said, I would not advise turning the front wheels that fast without the rear wheels and driveline spinning along with it. It is unknown if the diff clutch is designed to "slip" that much for long distances and it may ruin the front diff clutch and that thing is over $600.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thanks for all of the feedback.
BTW, I have two trailers that are very capable of towing my Talon.
Still want to know if anyone has flat towed their Talon?
A couple miles (maybe even 5) under 30mph probably won't hurt the machine but just remember...
  • The manual specifically says not to for a reason.
  • Pavement and corners kill the rear inner CV joints, especially with higher traction tires.
  • Stock tires are shit on pavement, DOT approved tires will do better.
  • You must have working tail/brake lights.
  • Some states require anything towed over 1500 lbs must have brakes tied to the tow vehicle.
  • Some states require any towed vehicles (regardless of weight) to have brakes tied to the tow vehicle.
Not sure your reasoning but I have a toy hauler and have run into the need to get my machine to a trailhead 10-15 miles from camp. I have pondered and pondered this dilemma but did not resort to flat towing and just made mine street legal and drive to the trailhead instead. Someday, this will come back to bite me :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Paul, very interesting information.

Somewhat related question--do you typically drive in 2WD or 4WD in dirt situations that do not require it? How about on pavement?

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A couple miles (maybe even 5) under 30mph probably won't hurt the machine but just remember...
  • The manual specifically says not to for a reason.
  • Pavement and corners kill the rear inner CV joints, especially with higher traction tires.
  • Stock tires are shit on pavement, DOT approved tires will do better.
  • You must have working tail/brake lights.
  • Some states require anything towed over 1500 lbs must have brakes tied to the tow vehicle.
  • Some states require any towed vehicles (regardless of weight) to have brakes tied to the tow vehicle.
Not sure your reasoning but I have a toy hauler and have run into the need to get my machine to a trailhead 10-15 miles from camp. I have pondered and pondered this dilemma but did not resort to flat towing and just made mine street legal and drive to the trailhead instead. Someday, this will come back to bite me :)
My reason is as Paul stated above. I came up with 4 ways to get my Talon to the trail head when I’m not camped with direct access.
1. Drive it there. I’m street legal licensed in AZ, but some other states don’t recognize it for a UTV.
2. Flat tow it.
3. A rack for my truck that I would have to partially assemble/disassemble because I tow a 40 foot 5th wheel toy hauler.
4. A trailer that I would have to partially assemble/disassemble and stored in or under the toy hauler or truck bed.
The easiest, other than driving it there is to flat tow it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts