Honda Talon Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X 4 Live Valve
92 Posts
Live in Arizona and checked mine when i did the first service at 122 miles and the air filter looked like it had the normal amount of dirt on it not real bad and certainly was not dirty enough to replace. I am hoping the aftermarket will produce one that we can clean.
Try this, I have have been using their filters for years and I have one for my Talon. No more Honda filters every 3 or 400 miles at $50 a pop !! R2C Performance Synthetic Air Filter Kit for 2019-2020 Honda Talon

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think you would be happy with the Honda Talon, I know the more I use mine the more I like it. With the Dual Clutch trans mission being the single most thing I like about it. But Honda is way behind in other areas compared to the Polaris. I have been watching the new videos for the 2020 Polaris and they have really made some improvements to stay the leader in the UTV market.
As for the Particle Separator, It is a real necessity on the Honda Talon.
I sent them pictures of my installation and things I used to install it on my Talon since I have a full rear window and I believe there unit which will be available in another two weeks, will not be designed for units with the rear window. I could be wrong on that, and I did not want to wait to find out.
It will be interesting to see what they have come up with for the Honda Talon....DRK
I have and use the KWT particle separator on my Talon 4 Live Valve. Works wonderfully, easy install, no motor to make noise and go bad, no need for electrical hook up, removes 98-99% of all dust, silt and dirt, and best of all, it is over $100 less money than the S&B. KWTfilters.com

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just did my first oil change tonight at 112 miles. The engine and DCT filters were cleaner than expected and the oil looked clean too. I then checked the air filter. Holy crap it is filthy.. I can't believe Honda engineered something this shoddy. Everyone who claimed the issue is the gaps in the wheel well/intake shroud are 100% correct. I shined a flashlight up from the rear tire and looked down through grill just behind the rear passenger shoulder, and there are gaps everywhere. Tomorrow I am going to pick up a washable dirt bike air filter skin, I think it'll fit over the mushroom shaped intake pipe just behind that plastic grill. This may prove a decent temporary fix until I can get a particle separator. Also the design of the airbox is horrendous. The smallest mistake when lifting the clean air side of the housing off could easily drop dirt directly into one of the air intakes. I wouldn't be surprised if Talon engines start failing prematurely due to the design of the air intake system

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have to agree that the KWT separator is a good unit.
I like my S&B separator a little better than the KWT because it is self cleaning. The fan only draws 3 amps, so unless you have a large amp draw due to too many accessories, you should not have a problem. I also like the mounting location into the air stream and extra boost from the fan to help spin the dust to help remove it.
As for noise I can not hear mine because of the back window.
As for the cost, the price is the same for the S&B as the KWT. You only pay $100 more if you order it from Honda.
Order it from S&B for a Polaris 1000 S and install it on the Talon using a $0.75 ABS 3" reducer to the air box.
Either way it beats the stock Talon poorly designed system...DRK
I

·
Registered
119 Posts
How did the Uni pre filter work for you? Do you have specs for it so others can purchase one?
The UNI filter as a pre-filter seems to be working pretty well. The only issue I can see is that the UNI filter area is fairly small and can’t trap a lot of dirt before it needs to be cleaned, and in order to clean It I have to go through the same process I have to do to replace the factory filter, i. e. Take everything out of the cargo box, wrangle the cargo box out from under the spare tire rack, remove the cover, remove the filter housing cover, remove the factory filter, tgen I can remove the UNI and wash it out with a bucket of warm water and Dawn dish washing soap. I then hook the UNI to my shop vac hose and draw air through it via the shop vac until it’s dry. Then oil it up and reinstall.
It’s a bit of a pain to do after every dusty ride, but I think it needs to be cleaned frequently to avoid too much airflow restriction.
The pics are of the filter after 5 days at Moab that really wasn’t very dusty riding. I just got back from 5 days riding on the Alpine Loop in CO, but haven’t pulled the filters yet. The Alpine Loop road was pretty darn dusty so I’ll be curious to see how bad it is.
So far the UNI has kept the factory filter very clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, you are getting good results, and it is one inexpensive way to go, but as you say, having to do this everytime is a royal pain. This is exactly why I use a KWT particle separator. All I have to do, and very rarely I might add, is to push 3 buttons, drop the dirt container, pour out the dirt and Place it back on ..... mission accomplished. Granted, the initial cost is much higher than what you are doing, but well worth the expense, peace of mind, savings in time and not having to spend $50 bucks a wack on Honda filters every 300 or 400 miles of AZ riding.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Gprap, how does your setup work when in rainy conditions? Does rain enter the intake? I'm from PA where it is usually wet although we are currently experiencing drought.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A good question. You have to understand that I live in AZ where rain is very seasonal and infrequent. I have not been out in any heavy rain. I will say that I don’t take much care when hosing down my Talon. I have forgotten about the KWT being there on occasion and have directed hose water right into the unit. Afterwards, I have dropped the bottom dirt tray only to find an insignificant amount of water in it, and not enough to even be able to pour out. I am sure that where it is mounted will have an affect on just how much it is exposed to rain also. I really don’t think it is much of an issue at all because the unit is mounted horizontally and has a very fine prefilter material placed in the intake cover grate. If this is a concern, I would contact KWT on their website at kwtfilters.com and ask your question directly to them on their customer service email address. I know they will be happy to get back to you quickly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just did my first oil change tonight at 112 miles. The engine and DCT filters were cleaner than expected and the oil looked clean too. I then checked the air filter. Holy crap it is filthy.. I can't believe Honda engineered something this shoddy. Everyone who claimed the issue is the gaps in the wheel well/intake shroud are 100% correct. I shined a flashlight up from the rear tire and looked down through grill just behind the rear passenger shoulder, and there are gaps everywhere. Tomorrow I am going to pick up a washable dirt bike air filter skin, I think it'll fit over the mushroom shaped intake pipe just behind that plastic grill. This may prove a decent temporary fix until I can get a particle separator. Also the design of the airbox is horrendous. The smallest mistake when lifting the clean air side of the housing off could easily drop dirt directly into one of the air intakes. I wouldn't be surprised if Talon engines start failing prematurely due to the design of the air intake system
I too was concerned about all the open area above the rear wheel and where the shock mounts up. I was convinced that lots of dirt was coming up from that area and filling up the cheezy OEM filter. My solution to solve the open problem was to take a can of expanding foam sealant , the insulation stuff ,, and I filled up that open area and closed it off. Now the air for the engine comes strickly in the open vent at the top by the roll bar. Incidentally the vent on the side will let dirt in the intake area as well so I plugged it and made a plastic cover for it and the other side also. Doing that keeps mud out of there .

61 - 70 of 70 Posts