Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting ready to install a UNI pre filter in my airbox but decided against it because I didn't want to keep opening the seal on the air box and filter for what I think will be a relatively small surface area filter that will need frequent cleaning. Instead, after doing some research, I am going to install a filter minder by drilling a hole into the clean air side of my airbox so that I can replace the filter only when it actually needs it. From what I read, a dirty air filter that isn't clogged is actually a better filter than a new one. I'm probably either going to buy a K&N 85-2444 or an AC Delco AFM4. The K&N one goes to the red zone at a reading of 10 and the AC Delco goes to 25. I'm not sure what the numbers are yet. (mm H2O maybe?). I was wondering if anyone else has done something like this that can share their experience. My filter lasts me long enough that I don't want to cut holes and add pre filters and.particle separators I don't think. However I do want to know when to change the OEM one.

BTW my diesel truck has one of these and it keeps me from breaking the seal on the air filter box frequently to check the filter or replace it before it's necessary.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the suggestion but for that price I can buy 5 OEM air filters. That will laste me a fairly long time. A lot of filter minders are less than the cost of an OEM filter. I don't mind changing the OEM filter when it begins to get too clogged, I just want to know when that is. With a filter minder I don't even need to open the air box to find out, plus for the Talon you also have to remove the filter and you can't really tell how well a filter is working by looking at it anyway.

· Registered
78 Posts
I was getting ready to install a UNI pre filter in my airbox but decided against it because I didn't want to keep opening the seal on the air box and filter for what I think will be a relatively small surface area filter that will need frequent cleaning. Instead, after doing some research, I am going to install a filter minder by drilling a hole into the clean air side of my airbox so that I can replace the filter only when it actually needs it. From what I read, a dirty air filter that isn't clogged is actually a better filter than a new one. I'm probably either going to buy a K&N 85-2444 or an AC Delco AFM4. The K&N one goes to the red zone at a reading of 10 and the AC Delco goes to 25. I'm not sure what the numbers are yet. (mm H2O maybe?). I was wondering if anyone else has done something like this that can share their experience. My filter lasts me long enough that I don't want to cut holes and add pre filters and.particle separators I don't think. However I do want to know when to change the OEM one.

BTW my diesel truck has one of these and it keeps me from breaking the seal on the air filter box frequently to check the filter or replace it before it's necessary.
You are a wise man. Lots of people throwing away air filters way too early. I just changed mine in prep for a trip to Utah and it was dirty but there was lots of green media still left to breath through. I had 600 or so miles on it including 3 Glamis trips, and the rest were dusty Arizona trails.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

· Registered
37 Posts
I put one of the Uni filters in the air box. I then cut off the snorkel cover (only) and fitted another Uni on the tube left by removing the snorkel cover. I added an access door in the bed. I also blocked off all the openings leading into this area with sheet metal and Gorilla tape. Now all the air comes in the grille above passenger door hinge. This filter on the snorkel catches virtually all the dirt and is easily serviced. I’ve checked the Uni filter in the air box (and used new gaskets) and it is almost perfectly clean in 1000 miles of desert and woods riding.

Too much restriction? It pulls the speed limiter easily.

I haven’t gotten the hang of posting pictures. Send me a PM or email: [email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts