Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone of you who have 2 way radios, do you need an FCC license to use them when off roading with your group? If so what did you all get?

Thanks

·
Registered
295 Posts
Here is what Rugged says about the topic, I could not find PCI's but I think they are similar...

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
I do not know if this will help explain or answer your question, but this is what I got from Garmin Tread.

Do I need a license with the FCC in order to operate this radio?
No. The Tread product uses MURS (Multi-Use-Radio-Service) for radio technology, which means that you do not have to file a license with the FCC in order to use this product.

So, if Rugged Radios uses the MURS technology, just like the Tread, you will not need a license. So, does anyone know if Rugged uses MURS or other frequencies? I just don't know.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I do not know if this will help explain or answer your question, but this is what I got from Garmin Tread.

Do I need a license with the FCC in order to operate this radio?
No. The Tread product uses MURS (Multi-Use-Radio-Service) for radio technology, which means that you do not have to file a license with the FCC in order to use this product.

So, if Rugged Radios uses the MURS technology, just like the Tread, you will not need a license. So, does anyone know if Rugged uses MURS or other frequencies? I just don't know.
MURS is 5 VHF channels and limited to 2 watts.

Rugged uses the Business Band and has 40 VHF channels. 7 are listen only and 33 are licensed by them for their customer's use. 2 channels are 35 watts that the others are all 60 watts.
Their newer radios also have UHF and that adds another 30 channels.

Some of their licenses are nation wide and other are area specific.

You can also program their radios with GMRS frequencies but you would need a personal license for that.

See the link I posted earlier for more info.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have GMRS Radios. FCC license is "required". The license will cover you and your whole family for 10 years. What a waste of abou $110 if memory serves me right. The Radios work really great, I have Baofeng handheld and vehicle mounted versions and the range is excellent. But noone is ever going to catch you without a license. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think anyone is patrolling the wilderness looking for rogue GMRS operators.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Anyone of you who have 2 way radios, do you need an FCC license to use them when off roading with your group? If so what did you all get?

Thanks

The technically correct answer is yes, you do need an FCC license. In reality, these channels are business band channels used for this type of activity and if you're not hearing race traffic or some type of event then you're not likely going to bother anyone by using these channels and nobody will care. I have found this to be the case with every group I have ridden with in four different states.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We use boat radios of amazon just hit Clear (CLR) button twice work just fine we ride rush in Kentucky and cam pick up boats at lake cumberlan so range is pretty good

·
Registered
89 Posts
We use boat radios of amazon just hit Clear (CLR) button twice work just fine we ride rush in Kentucky and cam pick up boats at lake cumberlan so range is pretty good
Using marine band radios is a horrible idea. That potentially creates problems for those on the water. Especially should they need assistance. If you can hear them, they can hear you.

btw, marine band radio use is only for use on the water and requires a license.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Let them come get me they were cheap and work good, im not hurting boaters its one more person who can relay message to authorities if needed. Maybe your cd is interfering with truckers doing their job

·
Registered
89 Posts
Let them come get me they were cheap and work good, im not hurting boaters its one more person who can relay message to authorities if needed. Maybe your cd is interfering with truckers doing their job
Well, I don't use CB. I am a licensed ham operator and have a comprehensive understanding of different radio services along with their intended use and why that is.

FRS/GMRS radios are cheap, work good and won't interfere with other radio services.

btw, truckers don't use CB for their job.

I suppose I could go into more detail explaining all this to you but I can't understand it for you so I'll just leave it at this and wish you the best.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts