Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like this set-up, and I bet it helps with the "bucking talon"...but, wow, they are sure proud of it. Near $700 with the spare mount added. Does anyone else manufacture something similar at a lower price point? Or am I just a cheapskate? I'll answer that for you. YES...yes I am.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I purchased one a couple months ago. I added a few options to it and it was around $800.

It is a hand-made to order, powder-coated unit that is of the highest quality and has worked flawlessly for the close to 2000 miles I have put on my Talon since installing it. It helps the suspension, carries additional fuel safely, provides a spare tire mount, has a very high quality gate, adds cargo space, and works with my Dragon Fire hitch receiver. It went on cleanly and easily and Dirt Road Fabrication was a pleasure to deal with.

The tooling and experience required to produce a unit of this quality is both expensive and hard to come by. There are no doubt quite a few hours involved in hand fabricating each and every one of them, and DRF have about a 12 week lead time because of the demand for them.

I looked and there is nothing of this quality available elsewhere, short of going to a good race car fabricator and having one hand made. Before I went this route, I was quoted over $3K for a cage with something similar on the back, but other than looking a little cooler than the stock Talon roof, added nothing the Dirt Road Fabrication unit doesn't include.

Well worth the money.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I purchased one a couple months ago. I added a few options to it and it was around $800.

It is a hand-made to order, powder-coated unit that is of the highest quality and has worked flawlessly for the close to 2000 miles I have put on my Talon since installing it. It helps the suspension, carries additional fuel safely, provides a spare tire mount, has a very high quality gate, adds cargo space, and works with my Dragon Fire hitch receiver. It went on cleanly and easily and Dirt Road Fabrication was a pleasure to deal with.

The tooling and experience required to produce a unit of this quality is both expensive and hard to come by. There are no doubt quite a few hours involved in hand fabricating each and every one of them, and DRF have about a 12 week lead time because of the demand for them.

I looked and there is nothing of this quality available elsewhere, short of going to a good race car fabricator and having one hand made. Before I went this route, I was quoted over $3K for a cage with something similar on the back, but other than looking a little cooler than the stock Talon roof, added nothing the Dirt Road Fabrication unit doesn't include.

Well worth the money.
I don't question the quality. Mass production always reduces cost. Hopefully they, or someone, will get that figured out. One at a time is basically custom work. Which is $$$$.
Thank you for the product review. Sounds like a nice bolt-on.

·
Registered
2021 1000 X
41 Posts
I went with Horizonoff-road's version which is very similar to DIRT Road's and is now $749. I am very pleased with it. They didn't charge extra for the spare tire mount, or at least I don't recall them doing so. May as well get ready for it... all Talon accessories are pricey (except Hillbilly brake which I highly reccomend btw). I'm probably 5 grand into outfitting mine and still wanting more.
Best of luck, be safe and enjoy!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check out “EverythingCan Am Off Road” and look at the 2 inch clamp spare tire mount. Have one on my Talon 1000x 4 and works great. Lug bolt pattern is the same as the Talon. Spare tire does take-up a little space in cargo bed, but you can’t beat the price for a spare mount!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check out “EverythingCan Am Off Road” and look at the 2 inch clamp spare tire mount. Have one on my Talon 1000x 4 and works great. Lug bolt pattern is the same as the Talon. Spare tire does take-up a little space in cargo bed, but you can’t beat the price for a spare mount!
Got a picture of it mounted? (and...they are currently out of stock).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went with Horizonoff-road's version which is very similar to DIRT Road's and is now $749. I am very pleased with it. They didn't charge extra for the spare tire mount, or at least I don't recall them doing so. May as well get ready for it... all Talon accessories are pricey (except Hillbilly brake which I highly reccomend btw). I'm probably 5 grand into outfitting mine and still wanting more.
Best of luck, be safe and enjoy!
That's pricey too. lol. Did I mention I'm a cheapskate yet?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got a picture of it mounted? (and...they are currently out of stock).
Do have that picture - but how the heck can a person send it? The price, with tax and shipping, was $140. Mounts on the roll cage in cargo area and no problem getting to the air box. Email address and I could send a picture.]

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you go with the high or low tire mount?
I'm probable gonna buy that ridiculously priced DirtRoadFarication one. It looks really good, give more bed space, and sets that tire back far enough to hopefully settle some of the Talon's bucking.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hand made--your time is worth money too.
absolutely agree. That is why I was hoping them or someone could get jigs and begin mass production. That always make efficiency and productivity increase, and thus price decrease.

Oh well...

·
Registered
2021 Halon 1000x-4 Fox Live Valve
14 Posts
Damn y'all! That spare tire mount is sweet. I had a quote of around $3600 to get tires, wheels, turn signal & horn kit, & side mirrors to get it street legal. Now this....... I got to have it. I like the low tire mount. I think it would work well for the kind of riding we plan to do. We're old!!

·
Registered
2019 Honda 1000R
48 Posts
That is a great extender, but, if you are looking for something that doesn't weigh a lot and don't need a spare tire mount then there doesn't seem to be anything on the market. I just want something light that will hold a cooler and some soft goods. Don't tell me it helps, I have my suspension done with the tire mounted high and don't need or want more weight out back that isn't cargo. Anyone know of some vendor making one?

·
Registered
295 Posts
That is a great extender, but, if you are looking for something that doesn't weigh a lot and don't need a spare tire mount then there doesn't seem to be anything on the market. I just want something light that will hold a cooler and some soft goods. Don't tell me it helps, I have my suspension done with the tire mounted high and don't need or want more weight out back that isn't cargo. Anyone know of some vendor making one?
Are you looking for a tailgate to contain said cooler and soft goods or do you actually need to extend the bed?

There are several lightweight tailgates/enclosures but none of them really "extend" the bed. These 2 are my favorites...

·
Registered
2019 Honda 1000R
48 Posts
I have one now but I am looking for an extended one that gives me more rear deck area without being built out of 2" mild steel and weighing 100lbs.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have one now but I am looking for an extended one that gives me more rear deck area without being built out of 2" mild steel and weighing 100lbs.
Gotcha! I kinda want the same so I am either going to build my own or use one of the prefab units and use some thick sheet to extend the bottom and some small tubing to extend the top and sides.

·
Registered
2019 Honda 1000R
48 Posts
Gotcha! I kinda want the same so I am either going to build my own or use one of the prefab units and use some thick sheet to extend the bottom and some small tubing to extend the top and sides.
I called Dirt Road Fab and left a message for Jared but I haven't heard back. I like his mounting hardware. I will let you know if I get a reply. I was hoping I could connect with him since I am in Utah also.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts