Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though each model will be getting some specific tweaks and changes, there are a lot of features that are shared between these two variants. The X has been designed with maneuverability in mind while the R shines in high speed driving.

• 999cc Unicam® parallel-twin engine, performance-tuned for strong torque and linear power delivery
  • 6-speed Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) with high-low sub-transmission and automatic and manual modes
  • Ignition Feedback Control for faster gear changes
  • On-the-fly changing between 2WD and 4WD via dash-mounted switch that operates at any engine speed
  • Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) for stability under braking
  • Brake Traction Control System (BTCS) directs torque to wheels that have the most grip
  • 44% front weight bias for balanced handling
  • Center console and creature comfort dual cockpits
  • Tuned intake and exhaust for performance and sound quality
  • Hill Start Assist (HSA)
  • Piston oil jets for cool engine temperature and engine longevity
  • Oversized radiator and fan
  • Driveshaft boot protectors
  • Comfortable, weather-resistant supportive seats
  • Clutch temperature warning light
  • LED Headlights with high/low beam

·
Registered
65 Posts
Seems like Honda has placed a lot of tech inside the Talon to ensure that it runs as cool as possible. I would imagine there will be a lot of owners who will be running these things flat out. Would love to see the manual mode in action.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Seems like Honda has placed a lot of tech inside the Talon to ensure that it runs as cool as possible. I would imagine there will be a lot of owners who will be running these things flat out. Would love to see the manual mode in action.
I doubt it would have been possible if it wasn't for Honda's motorcycle division. Some of what they learned from that end of the business was applied here. I couldn't be any happier.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't stress enough how big of a deal it is to see a proper DCT on a sports sxs. Newer models in this segment certainly aren't the barebones machines that they used to be.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Road legal conversions are a big market these days, and rider comfort has become increasingly important. Hopefully we get some more in depth tests to see how this new gearbox handles various terrain.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Usually once this stuff gets to motorcycles, which it has over recent years, finding its way to vehicles like this becomes more likely and to scale.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think the ability to override gearshifts with the paddle shifters, should really help to maximize control over the sxs. Forced downshifts could also help to reduce overall brake wear.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think the ability to override gearshifts with the paddle shifters, should really help to maximize control over the sxs. Forced downshifts could also help to reduce overall brake wear.
Good point, in automotive applications, even with those not off-road oriented, manual mode helps a lot when going on inclines and engine braking on declines.
Basically anything that allows us to experience the Talon to a greater extent is a win.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Too much reliance on the paddle shifters could result in quicker clutch wear. Not sure if it would be any cheaper than replacing your brakes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That can be said to be a concern but its Honda and i have my confidence in their abilities to build quality products.
Only times its been an issue is with American or Mexican built products that also have poor management behind them. On the grand scheme Honda outranks every other brand. So is it really that bad? Or should you be that concerned? I think not.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes Honda is established in the utility segment of sxs, but they have no track record in the sports classification. I have no doubt that the Talon will live up to the pedigree of the rest of their products, but just need to know how comparable it is to segment leaders.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts