Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we finally got out for a ride a few days ago which put the KM high enough to do the first oil change. Got all the fluids and filters dropped, fire it up to fill the filters, the machine ran for 15-20 sec and i got a knock/clunk coming from the engine. Awesome! I don't know if it was there before as it's not super loud and I wouldn't have really noticed out on the trail. Hoping it was maybe something that simply come loose and was rattling around in the back I crawled around grabbing everything that might or could be causing it ...... no luck. So, called the dealer from which it came, they said bring it over and we will have a listen. Did that and he was stumped, it doesn't seam like rod knock as it will go away at lower RPM. Doesn't sound like it a valve. I did go to an Amsoil, dealer figured maybe that was the problem, said he's run into it a few times with Goldwings that they just don't like this oil. Everything being hydraulic in these things and in the Goldwings that it just doesn't work well. Also on a side note he mentioned talking with Honda engineers that they shouldn't see full synthetic until after 5000km. Seems a little excessive but ok, not the first time i've heard that. So, back to the story. Brought it home change the oil back to Honda and changed the filters ( most expensive oil change ever ) Noise persists. Wicked cool.

Anyone have this noise? I have check the clean side of the air box, yes the filters are all in the correct direction and no it was never ran with oil lol. I'm kinda out of ideas. Going to give the dealer a call this morning and see what they want to do. They said yesterday they would have to record the noise and send it into Honda to see what they want to do, if anything. He also mentioned it being under warranty and just running it. My luck the day after warranty ended the thing would send a connecting rod out the side of the block. Not real happy with my Honda right now!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Amsoil is a 10-40 the Honda oil they gave me is a 10-40 also. Ya, i've heard that switching thing also. Also heard that was B.S. too. Was told it was more important to stick with one brand as the detergents in the oil will cause problems with higher milage machines. The reason for running with conventional, and I've heard this with before but thought it was for older engines, is the rings don't like to seat with synthetic. Who knows. No plug that I saw. Is there a plug that they get shipped with that I'm not aware of?! Not sure on the warm up thing as running it with that noise any longer than I have to seams problematic to me. lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
You are right about the rings not seating with synthetic oil. As far as the different brands, I don’t think there’s much difference. I would be more worried about changing from synthetic to conventional back-and-forth. Some oil filters are shipped with a plug in the center of it to keep dirt and debris from getting in there before installation. Not sure if Honda does that or not.
I do remember sticking my finger in to lube up the seal before install now that you say that and looking at the new filter I don't see a plug. I did talk with the dealer again, they said run it for the weekend, if the noise gets worse. If it does shut it down and bring it in. Said it was highly unlikely Honda would give them permission to open it up being the noise seems to be intermittent. If they do it will be out of commission for the summer. Lol

So letting it warm up it seems to, at the very least, get very quiet if not stop all together. Guess we run it and see. It does get a guy a little angry ya spend $30,000 on a machine to wait and see if it's going to shit the bed and there is nothing you can do but wait. FFS. Lol

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
We serviced tons of 'Wings with synthetic, mostly Amsoil, low miles, high miles, and everything in between with zero issues.
Ya, I don't know. Just want he mentioned. It seems like a guy has to be so careful what oil or fluids you add to these bikes or vehicles in general even. The manual recommends 10-30. None of the dealerships carry it around here, just the 10-40.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok so I have another question, seems silly to ask but... When I check oil, if I leave it overnight and check prior to starting, the oil leaves on the dip stick are way too high. If you follow the manual for checking it, all is well. Is this standard with everyone's machines ? Presume it's just draining the oil back into the pan from the cooler and such overnight. Seems odd to have to fill up the system everytime the motor is stopped and started. .

·
Registered
9 Posts
You will always get a higher level after it sits for a while. Start it, let it warm up, then check it. If I remember right, you don’t screw the dip stick in, you just put it in to where the threads start, and pull it out.
Yup, I get you will get a little more if it sits for a while or over night but this is excessive. Like over double the way up the dip stick from the high or full mark. Ya you don't screw it in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So we finally got out for a ride a few days ago which put the KM high enough to do the first oil change. Got all the fluids and filters dropped, fire it up to fill the filters, the machine ran for 15-20 sec and i got a knock/clunk coming from the engine. Awesome! I don't know if it was there before as it's not super loud and I wouldn't have really noticed out on the trail. Hoping it was maybe something that simply come loose and was rattling around in the back I crawled around grabbing everything that might or could be causing it ...... no luck. So, called the dealer from which it came, they said bring it over and we will have a listen. Did that and he was stumped, it doesn't seam like rod knock as it will go away at lower RPM. Doesn't sound like it a valve. I did go to an Amsoil, dealer figured maybe that was the problem, said he's run into it a few times with Goldwings that they just don't like this oil. Everything being hydraulic in these things and in the Goldwings that it just doesn't work well. Also on a side note he mentioned talking with Honda engineers that they shouldn't see full synthetic until after 5000km. Seems a little excessive but ok, not the first time i've heard that. So, back to the story. Brought it home change the oil back to Honda and changed the filters ( most expensive oil change ever ) Noise persists. Wicked cool.

Anyone have this noise? I have check the clean side of the air box, yes the filters are all in the correct direction and no it was never ran with oil lol. I'm kinda out of ideas. Going to give the dealer a call this morning and see what they want to do. They said yesterday they would have to record the noise and send it into Honda to see what they want to do, if anything. He also mentioned it being under warranty and just running it. My luck the day after warranty ended the thing would send a connecting rod out the side of the block. Not real happy with my Honda right now!
My second oil change I am running Amsoil 10w-40 for wet clutch. I'm at 1000 miles on that oil change and the oil still looks brand new. No noises or clunks. I even put in a couple ounces of Lucas oil stabilizer. All is good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My second oil change I am running Amsoil 10w-40 for wet clutch. I'm at 1000 miles on that oil change and the oil still looks brand new. No noises or clunks. I even put in a couple ounces of Lucas oil stabilizer. All is good.
Good to know. Still running mine. It seems to stop at low idle when cold and when the engine gets warmed up at any rpm. No idea what's up, time will tell I'm sure. Lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts