Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the owner of a 2021 talon and only ride township and county roads in rural Ohio. After 400 miles on a new machine I decide to look at the air filter and was shocked and disappointed. The filter was dirtier than any I have ever seen with this mileage and a third of these miles were paved. Very poor engineering on the intake system. I am considering an aftermarket intake system but should not have to. At 45.00 per filter something has to be modified. I am also considering installing a vacuum operated air filter monitor or gage. Hopefully this might help me from changing filters as often just from their dirty appearance. Any comments or ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used to feel your pain, I'm now running a dual snorkel kit with big S&B rechargeable pre filters covered with a filter sock just got back from playing in the Arizona and Utah deserts 1312 miles checked the final filter it's like new, i hadn't yet sealed all the pipe joints so it only going to get better.
Ran all the vent pipes up into top of the cage i can drive through water so deep that your gonna nee a snorkel for yur self IMG_6291[1].JPG
IMG_6291[1].JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to feel your pain, I'm now running a dual snorkel kit with big S&B rechargeable pre filters covered with a filter sock just got back from playing in the Arizona and Utah deserts 1312 miles checked the final filter it's like new, i hadn't yet sealed all the pipe joints so it only going to get better.
Ran all the vent pipes up into top of the cage i can drive through water so deep that your gonna nee a snorkel for yur self View attachment 2206 View attachment 2206
Thanks for the good info.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am the owner of a 2021 talon and only ride township and county roads in rural Ohio. After 400 miles on a new machine I decide to look at the air filter and was shocked and disappointed. The filter was dirtier than any I have ever seen with this mileage and a third of these miles were paved. Very poor engineering on the intake system. I am considering an aftermarket intake system but should not have to. At 45.00 per filter something has to be modified. I am also considering installing a vacuum operated air filter monitor or gage. Hopefully this might help me from changing filters as often just from their dirty appearance. Any comments or ideas are welcome.
I did this to my talon because of how fast the filter gets dirty. Also get a washable filter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rc2 filter can be washed and blown out cost 120$ but have only had to buy 1 just clean it every couple 100 miles with air gun wash it every oil change .Fyi you should check filter more often owners manual says new stock filter every 200 miles or so. Yeah i know reading instructions is pain but when i pay 20k for something i want it to last and reading manual maybe pointless to some but really very help full. Did you check filter when you did your breakin oil change?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Snorkel is the only way to go.

·
Registered
1000X4 Live Valve, on order
9 Posts
This is what I have done, no issues and I’m still on the original filter after 2100 desert (Yuma area) miles.
What are you running with your wheels and tires? They seem thinner and perhaps lighter than normal. BTW, nice job with your videos!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes, the Honda intake design is horrible. The cheapest fix is a snorkel with a filter on top.the best fix is a particle separator/ pre-filter like S&B or KWT. I went with the KWT, it doesn’t require electricity, it’s totally quiet, and it has multiple mounting options. For example, I mounted mine low behind the passenger facing backwards so as not to block my rear view. Especially good for people, with rear windows too. I run very dusty conditions and where I ride in Arizona, we haven’t had anywhere near our normal rain. In fact it went something like 10 months without rain. It’s dusty here. So in those conditions I ran my filter for 2000 miles without even opening the air box to check. I wanted a no hassle effective fix, not add another filter I had to clean or check. Here is my review.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is what I have done, no issues and I’m still on the original filter after 2100 desert (Yuma area) miles.
That looks really good. Nice job! I have a uni filter on the inside of mine, but I like the option of having it on the outside and more accessible. I have gone several hundred miles before having to clean the pre-filter. I bought a second one and keep it in the same TSC box just in case. It is a horrible design from Honda for sure.

·
Registered
120 Posts
That looks really good. Nice job! I have a uni filter on the inside of mine, but I like the option of having it on the outside and more accessible. I have gone several hundred miles before having to clean the pre-filter. I bought a second one and keep it in the same TSC box just in case. It is a horrible design from Honda for sure.
Yes the design sucks to be sure!
having the pre-filter on the outside really makes it super easy to maintain. I had gone on quite a few rides and I probably changed the pre-filter three times. After awhile I thought I better at least check the OEM filter cause it had been awhile and it basically looked the same as the last time which was about 400 miles back. Really the way to go in my opinion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts