Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a hot wire straight from the battery get against the frame and arc over, now the engine won’t start, just crank.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As a new talon owner and unfamiliar with their electronic controls I can't answer specifically. That being said, as a long time mechanic and fabricator, you may have fried the ECU . This commonly occurs when people attempt to weld on vehicles without disconnecting the battery (effectively what happened when it arced to ground). The start circuit (in most older vehicles and offroad vehicles) is not run through the ECU, which is possibly why it will crank and not fire.

The first thing I would do is disconnect both battery leads and hold the positive and negative leads together for at least 30 seconds to discharge the capacitors and force a hard computer reset. Then I would check all fuses.

Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There is a 50 AMP main fuse AND a 15 AMP Ignition fuse that are tired together. I am assuming you blew the 50 AMP main as it is inline before anything else. BUT check both of them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a 50 AMP main fuse AND a 15 AMP Ignition fuse that are tired together. I am assuming you blew the 50 AMP main as it is inline before anything else. BUT check both of them.
I checked the 50amp fuse along with all the other fuses in the box between the seats and they were all good. Is that the ones you are refering to?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I apologize......... I am not by the machine to go look. But the wiring looks like Honda may have put a diode inline with the battery cable? A lot of companies put a reverse bias diode inline as a fail safe along with a fuse. I will look later today.

BUT as mentioned above it is a good idea to "short out" the PCM to allow for a reset. It won't hurt anything to try.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I apologize......... I am not by the machine to go look. But the wiring looks like Honda may have put a diode inline with the battery cable? A lot of companies put a reverse bias diode inline as a fail safe along with a fuse. I will look later today.

BUT as mentioned above it is a good idea to "short out" the PCM to allow for a reset. It won't hurt anything to try.
I was going to try the hard reset suggested by 1SINNER and see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts