Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Talon X
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I have a question, does the powervision do the same thing as the PC5. I understand that the powervision can use different maps, change different things, etc. I guess the question is what would I need the PCV that the power vision cannot do?

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Ok I have a question, does the powervision do the same thing as the PC5. I understand that the powervision can use different maps, change different things, etc. I guess the question is what would I need the PCV that the power vision cannot do?
Found this explanation on a Harley Davidson forum:
The fundamental difference between the two is that the PC5 is a piggy-back and the Powervision is a flash tuner.

A piggy-back hangs off the outside of the factory ECM, intercepting and modifying signals. The factory ECM doesn't even know it's there, it thinks it's still operating a stock bike. Parameters you type into the PC5 software are the difference between what the ECM is doing and what you want. So for example, you specify how many degrees to advance or retard the spark advance from what the ECM is doing, you don't actually specify the spark advance. Similar deal with the fueling. So you're disconnected from what's really going on in that respect. They work OK for pipes and air cleaners. But the farther away you get from stock, the less suitable they become.

The Powervision on the other hand lets you go in and actually reprogram the tables and settings in the ECM that control spark and fuel. So instead of fooling the ECM, you're actually teaching it. You get to specify for example exactly what your spark advance map looks like and exactly what air/fuel ratio you want at all combinations of manifold vacuum and rpm. And you have control of about a thousand other things, if you dare.

There are other flash tuners on the market as well - for example the SE product and the TTS Mastertune. What really sets the Powervision apart from those two is it's touchscreen display unit. It opens up a whole new level of features and functionality, for example the ability to easily autotune right there on the screen with a few taps of the screen (the others can do this but it's cumbersome process involving a PC), the ability to easily read and clear diagnostic trouble codes, the ability to set up gauges to monitor practically anything going on in the motor, trip computrers, on-the-fly adjustments, storing of multiple tunes for ready swapping, the list goes on and on. You practically have to write a novel to describe all the cool things it can do.

There's also a couple of add-on products for it that implement wideband autotuning and closed loop wideband operation.

There's one other kinda sorta similar flash tuner on the market, i.e. with display and control features like the Powervision, and that's the V&H FP3. It doesn't come with a display, instead you control it with your smart phone. That reduces it's cost so it's priced very well - in fact probably as cheap as the PC5. It's not as full featured as the Powervision, for example there are no wideband tuning options. Probably it's biggest drawback however is that the V&H system is a closed ecosystem. Tunes all come from V&H. There's no ability for example to pull your tune into a PC, manipulate it with program, email it, etc. The product has promise, if they ever get around to adding some capability.

Bottom line, if you want the best tuner product on the market and you can afford it, get a Powervision. If you just want something to tweak here and there for minor changes, and you want to save some money, then the PC5 is fine. Although look at the FP3 as well.

I did buy the wideband with the Powervision and love it.

·
Premium Member
2020 Talon X
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It actually came in today but I'm working 2 more nights so I really won't get to mess around with it until Thursday. Everything is still stock on the talon but I believe it's running lean from looking at my exhaust tip, it's colored purple and blue.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Can anyone explain how to use the powervision tuner to reprogram the tire size. Does it come with power increase tunes for stock, as well as tunes when adding a muffler? Are there other pre-programmed tunes on it? Are they all the same power vision tuners from the different retailers? Any opinions on which one is the best? The main change I want to make is the tire size so it wont lug around in too low of gear.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Honda Talon 1000R
25 Posts
Can anyone explain how to use the powervision tuner to reprogram the tire size. Does it come with power increase tunes for stock, as well as tunes when adding a muffler? Are there other pre-programmed tunes on it? Are they all the same power vision tuners from the different retailers? Any opinions on which one is the best? The main change I want to make is the tire size so it wont lug around in too low of gear.
I do not believe that tire size can be changed via the PV3. If you buy tunes off of a company, they can compensate for the size of tires you have on your machine. I use HESS tunes and i love it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts