Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the video I'm posting, this man is advising not to drive the Talon on asphalt.

Go to 9:18 in the video (that has many other tips) to see his explanation.

Since many SxS owners do a lot of driving on asphalt, I thought this may be a good topic for discussion.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I haven’t broke anything in rear on talon, RZR’s are same way - I had to do a bunch of asphalt driving in WV (50+ so not a lot) - finding it hard to understand how the friction coefficient of rubber/asphalt will not allow the rear to scrub and blow the rear diff/axle apart.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm about to get mine street legal in Michigan, have driven very short distance on asphalt in the past, the tires were at 6psi because we were heading to the dunes. It drove like crap. Increase the pressure to to 15psi and it made a huge difference. I would think having the tires at the exact same psi, so the diameter is the same and at a higher psi, which allows a smaller contact patch and the ability to slide a little will help. I'm going to find out soon I hope.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Interested.
He is running oversized (32") tires with a tread pattern that looks like it would tend to make the tires less able to slip on turns than the more mud/sand oriented tires typical to my part of the world, I don't know if he would have seen any issues with tires closer to oem. I also don't know if jumping technique he mentioned was actually what caused all damage, probably not, I just don't know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in Michigan and making my 1000x-4 LV street legal. I have a riding buddy who has a rzr street legal for a couple of years now with over 3500 miles on it. No issues at all. I think as long as you aren't doing U turns and keeping your foot in the gas while on pavement, you'll be okay. I'm running 30" tires and you can hear the tires scrubbing a little when making a 90 degree turn, but it is very minimal. Posi style rear ends on vehicles are the same way. My 2 cents anyways....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.