Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got the Talon X2 and we’re wanting to dog-proof the back cargo area so we can bring our dog off-roading with us. We’ve been looking for something similar to the expedition rack that Razorback Offroad makes for Polaris and Canam (You searched for Expedition rack - RazorBack Offroad™)… We think a bed extender w/ a spare tire carrier might be a good start but we don’t know what to do for the top… does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Depending on what you are trying to accomplish a cargo net may keep fido in the back or I have seen some pretty creative low cost dog cages built from 1.5" PVC painted black bolted in\clamped to the roll bar tubes. I would suggest fido gets a very soft rubber mat in the back for some grip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depending on what you are trying to accomplish a cargo net may keep fido in the back or I have seen some pretty creative low cost dog cages built from 1.5" PVC painted black bolted in\clamped to the roll bar tubes. I would suggest fido gets a very soft rubber mat in the back for some grip.
Thank you! We have thought about using a net in addition to the bed extender which is a really good idea, just can’t seem to find one specifically fitted for the back of the Talon. Do you know of anywhere that sells heavy duty nets for that?

We’ve also considered fabricating a dog box ourselves but before we took that route we wanted to make sure there weren’t any other options we could purchase! That same company that makes the expedition rack also makes heat protection pads designed to keep whatever is sitting in the back protected from the heat of the engine below but they don’t have them for the Talon either so we’ll have to get pretty creative with that lol!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I haven't seen anything specific for the talon but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

my recommendation would be to get a rough measurement of what you need size wise and then poke around on the internet - they usually give the relaxed length and then a stretched length, so my hunch is there should be something very close out there for your need

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Dirt Road Fab extender with a 32" tire mounted to it keeps my 14yr old black lab from jumping out. And it swings open so I can pick him up and put him in easier. Depending on how sunny your pooch is this may or may not work for you.
Thank you! We've been looking at the bed extenders, we may end up going that route because it's functional but also will hopefully keep our dog in the back.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thank you! We've been looking at the bed extenders, we may end up going that route because it's functional but also will hopefully keep our dog in the back.
The swing out bed extender is available with or without the spare mount. If you do opt for the spare mount, you can get a high or low mount. Mine is the low version, I was in a hurry and they had it in stock. The extender allows us to carry our 22qt Canyon cooler as you can see in the pic and still allow for a large breed dog bed in the actual bed. The Talons bed can get really hot due to the engine placement so I cut some 1.5" styrofoam insulation and put under the dogs bed to help keep him cool.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The swing out bed extender is available with or without the spare mount. If you do opt for the spare mount, you can get a high or low mount. Mine is the low version, I was in a hurry and they had it in stock. The extender allows us to carry our 22qt Canyon cooler as you can see in the pic and still allow for a large breed dog bed in the actual bed. The Talons bed can get really hot due to the engine placement so I cut some 1.5" styrofoam insulation and put under the dogs bed to help keep him cool.
Darn where in the world did you find one instock. looking at 14 week order time now.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just stopped by Jared's shop on my way from NW Montana to southern Baja to pick mine up. I ordered it 14 weeks beforehand, when I had my name on R's due in to dealers (MT and ID) in September. Of course those machines never arrived (and may never get there) so I scrambled and looked at every Honda dealer all the way from the Canadian to the Mexico border and was barely lucky enough to find a 2021 RLV in El Cajon outside San Diego.

Jared was great and caught the bed extender at the last moment from being powder coated red which would not have looked right on the RLV. When I showed up at the Dirt Road Fabrication shop and looked at my unit I was very impressed. Jared is a master craftsman and his products are works of art. This well thought out, precision hand-made product is well worth the money. Items of this quality are in high demand and Jared is plenty busy. Well worth the wait!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.