Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen many people complain about the heat in their Talons. I haven't ridden on a hot day yet so I can't complain, yet. But while familiarizing with my machine I did see a lot of light between the cabin and under the hood. The radiator fan pushes it's hot air back towards the cabin and any other area with lower pressure. And all these holes I saw are probably inviting to that heat. I have a half windshield, which will create a lower air pressure in the cabin. It will basically suck that warm air into my space if there are holes large enough. Have any of you experienced the heat, and have you done anything to reduce it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I plugged all of the holes in the front firewall area and this has helped. Gorilla duct tape, expanding foam and pop riveted aluminum covers
The biggest hot air entry has been up past the shifter. Great in the winter but horrible in the summer.
So far I only use a small towel or rag to cover the opening.
I have tried a few other ways, but with no success yet...DRK

·
Registered
19 Posts
I tried several ideas around the shifter and have ended up using a towel in the summer and enjoy the heat in the winter. I have a rear window and a flip up windshield in the front. With windshield open just a few inches the heat coming up through the shifter is greatly reduced. I also covered up the holes under and behind the seats.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I tried several ideas around the shifter and have ended up using a towel in the summer and enjoy the heat in the winter. I have a rear window and a flip up windshield in the front. With windshield open just a few inches the heat coming up through the shifter is greatly reduced. I also covered up the holes under and behind the seats.
I've seen many people complain about the heat in their Talons. I haven't ridden on a hot day yet so I can't complain, yet. But while familiarizing with my machine I did see a lot of light between the cabin and under the hood. The radiator fan pushes it's hot air back towards the cabin and any other area with lower pressure. And all these holes I saw are probably inviting to that heat. I have a half windshield, which will create a lower air pressure in the cabin. It will basically suck that warm air into my space if there are holes large enough. Have any of you experienced the heat, and have you done anything to reduce it?
YES YES It gets a lot of heat from everywhere. I build cars and had some rattle trap around so first look at the little piece of heat reflector above header. Put the rattle trap across the whole back that is in front of engine. Then from E bay someone sell thin rubber pieces 3 total one for the fire wall and both back outside corner that do have open holes. This will stop mud and rocks from ending up inside the car. Used the front piece to make an full aluminum fire wall in two piece to get in as well as to hold a second battery next to glove box(ton of room there) and an extra tail to go down to the drive line. Do have the storage bucket in the front that dose not stop as much as you think. Then really trick was 1/4" dense foam with more rattle trap on out side and went under both front seat and up the back. That did the most to not let the heat in. Shifter took an old school shifter boot upside down and aluminum pop rivits to the top plate edge and ALL heat, air, and mud stopped.
Accept for the fire wall this is all what I have seen others do. It all works really good now. Nothing to clean just hose it out. I am in Arizona and during our summer was really bad. The harder you run the more heat my girlfriend would be unhappy with. Most of it was just time the three rubber pieces are a must for lay out for firewall and the two corners. Best of luck. Sorry no pictures just put it back together

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
I made a rubber sheild that goes where the stocksheild is but i added to it to go all the way down to heater hoses works great for getting heat issues fixed, i have considered removing for winter to see if it will keep cab warm enough in winter months

·
Registered
16 Posts
O
YES YES It gets a lot of heat from everywhere. I build cars and had some rattle trap around so first look at the little piece of heat reflector above header. Put the rattle trap across the whole back that is in front of engine. Then from E bay someone sell thin rubber pieces 3 total one for the fire wall and both back outside corner that do have open holes. This will stop mud and rocks from ending up inside the car. Used the front piece to make an full aluminum fire wall in two piece to get in as well as to hold a second battery next to glove box(ton of room there) and an extra tail to go down to the drive line. Do have the storage bucket in the front that dose not stop as much as you think. Then really trick was 1/4" dense foam with more rattle trap on out side and went under both front seat and up the back. That did the most to not let the heat in. Shifter took an old school shifter boot upside down and aluminum pop rivits to the top plate edge and ALL heat, air, and mud stopped.
Accept for the fire wall this is all what I have seen others do. It all works really good now. Nothing to clean just hose it out. I am in Arizona and during our summer was really bad. The harder you run the more heat my girlfriend would be unhappy with. Most of it was just time the three rubber pieces are a must for lay out for firewall and the two corners. Best of luck. Sorry no pictures just put it back together
My really old buddy Ken showed me the shifter boot upside down trick it works really good. 4”x 7” or there about is what you are looking for

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The heat felt worse when driving down the road to an off road area. Before I knew what the heat problem was to me, I read someone had moved their radiator to another location. Didn't give it a thought at the time. But now, in the heat of the moment, it may be worth some consideration.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i took a sheet of 1/8" rubber and made a shield that runs parallel with the thin factory one (except all the way across) and ran it lower so that it flows the radiator air out to sides into wheel wells. Simple, held on at top with same push pins as factory and down lower with couple wire ties. (besure it won't catch on steering stuff). It is not perfect but stops a large portion of summer heat and guess it wanted heat back in winter, could quickly remove. Car is in trailer so can't take pictures, but might do a search as posted picture before

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.