Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
check out the rules where you ride. A lot of places they are not allowed. DJI has a lot of choices both in quality and price. I raised my drivers seat and put in hard cover under it for transport. I have not used enough for any good pro & cons

·
Registered
87 Posts
As above, you should check out the rules where you ride. National parks, airports, and many other recreational areas forbid by law the use of drones without a pilots license. Yup, the real thing. My son is a licensed drone pilot and the FAA has some stealthy fines for using them in many areas without a license. Still, there are many, many places you can use them without a license. BLM land is ok, as are many other public access areas that are not regulated by the state or federal government. One of the drawbacks of owning and operating a drone is the actual operation of it while trying to do your sport. It takes quite a lot of getting used to and could be dangerous if you have to focus on driving and drone operation. If you have a rider that can operate it that makes it a lot better. Drones all have their own maximum speed so you need to take that into consideration when purchasing. I had a DJI Mavic pro and got to use is so infrequently because of regulations that I finally sold it. Depending on the area where you ride, you need to also consider things like collision avoidance technology, return to home features and flight times. These can get to be quite expensive so losing one or crashing one can certainly cost you money that you'd for sure rather be spending on your ride instead of the drone. I have a GoPro with a mount that attaches to my hat and fine that to be quite adequate along with photos that I take. I ride by myself 90% of the time so I have to do all the video work. Still, as you are probably aware, the footage a drone can provide you with is just amazing. Good luck.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm thinking of purchasing one never owned one before any recommendations and what are the pro's and con's thank you in advance for any useful information.
I bought a DJI Mavic Mini on sale from Costco. I figured it was affordably priced and I would give it a try knowing if I didn't like it I could easily return it as long as I didn't crash it. It turned out to be very easy to fly since it is an entry level unit. It is less than 250g so no license or registration is required. I am a photographer so I was expecting to be disappointed with the photo/video quality. I was pleasantly surprised to find the quality didn't suck. It's not the photographic quality that I am used to but just like a gopro, it's good for what it is.

Here is a recent video example of the DJI Mavic Mini

Like I said, it's good for what it is and at $350 it has been a lot of fun to get cool perspectives of some of our adventures.

Water Cloud Sky Plant Working animal

The pros of this unit is easy to fly, affordably priced, no certification or registration required, Return to Home feature with the push of a button, image quality is ok.

The cons, no automatic following while in motion, no collision avoidance features, image quality is ok.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts