Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000R
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I just put 32’s on the Talon. I was just wanting to see if anyone has had any premature issues with the transmission, axles, or anything like that?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey guys. I just put 32’s on the Talon. I was just wanting to see if anyone has had any premature issues with the transmission, axles, or anything like that?

No adverse effects at all. About 3750 miles with 32s and it's awesome in every way.

I'm sure a power loss can be seen on a dyno but nothing noticed in the real world performance. Still hits the 74 mph top end at the same apparent pace. I did go with Maxxis Rampage tires that are not a heavy tire so I'm sure that helped.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I run 30's and have for about 4,000 miles. Issues I have noticed, experienced or read about...
  • Transmissions seem to take it fine, other than the strange shifting that some experience. The transmission can adapt to the larger tires if you consistently override the shifting with the paddles while in Auto mode but it takes quite a few miles so be patient.
  • Tires with more hard surface traction (basically anything better than stock) tend to eat up rear CV joints and make them noisy. Haven't seen any actually fail but there are several reports of "clicking" joints and it is much more prevalent on machines with non-stock tires. The more you drive on pavement, the earlier it can happen. Mine just started making noise about 250 miles ago so I will be rebuilding or replacing some CV's soon.
  • At higher altitude, you will notice the power and speed loss a lot more than stock. At Sand Hollow (the lowest I have been at about 3,000 feet), I didn't notice much. At ~5,000 feet, power loss is noticeable and I lose about 5 MPH and at 10,000 feet I can barely spin the 30's in the dirt.
  • Depends on how heavy your machine is. My machine with 30's is well equipped and weighs 1900 lbs. My other with 32's has very few added options and weighs under 1600 lbs. the 300 lbs makes a LOT more difference on the performance than I thought. The light machine with 32's is a little quicker that the heavy machine with 30's.
  • And as @nm6r stated, tire weight is a power killer. Both my machines are MUCH faster with lightweight paddles on them. It is very noticeable.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000R
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome. I don’t have a lot of add ons. Just a windshield, lower doors, tailgate and the tires. And my elevation in Tennessee is only like 1050 ft. So. We are getting plenty of oxygen. I got some 1 inch wheel spacers from SuperATV. The aluminum “block” part of the spacer measures 1.5 inch. Is that the way it’s supposed to be or did I maybe get the wrong ones?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Awesome. I don’t have a lot of add ons. Just a windshield, lower doors, tailgate and the tires. And my elevation in Tennessee is only like 1050 ft. So. We are getting plenty of oxygen. I got some 1 inch wheel spacers from SuperATV. The aluminum “block” part of the spacer measures 1.5 inch. Is that the way it’s supposed to be or did I maybe get the wrong ones?
Those are 1.5" spacers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just put 32s on my last week from 30” tire had over 2000 miles on 30s no issues , but the change to 32 seems to shift smoother and feels stable but only got 100 miles so far

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
I have run 35s -- internal gear reduction with portals -- rock crawl and lots of water. Two years only had to replace high so far. Have fun.:cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also put on 1.5 rear spaces, 30 inch tires and no issues, but at baja sea level..lots of research and went with 1.5 so I think you did it correct..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts