Honda Talon Forum banner

Disaster Narrowly Avoided!

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  nm6r 
#1 ·
Took the Talon in to the dealer yesterday, to fix a leaking seal on the drivers side front differential. I am headed out on a 5 day trip to the Eastern Sierras, and pressed for time so I also had them change out the air filter. They had thrown the old filter in the back, so I could see how dirty it was (only moderately dirty). The service writer asked if I wanted him to throw it away, so sure I had him do that. I saw gasket too, and didn't think anything about it.

So, I am out loading the Talon on the trailer, when he comes running out in a panic. He said there were TWO gaskets with the filter (the old one and a new one)....so that means there wasn't any gasket at all on the airbox! I would have sucked dust in the engine and now doubt ruined it! I don't know who changed the air filter, but I hope they are going to sit him down for a very very serious talk....

#2 ·
There are two new O ring type seals that come with the new Honda filter a large and a smaller one. they are installed in a groove in the filter housing top and bottom. The old seals would have been in the grooves and they are hardly noticeable when they are compressed and removal takes something like a pick or small screwdriver to pull them up from the groove. The seals are not actually on the filter but on the filter housing.

#3 ·
There were two of the LARGER DIAMETER rings, that go on the cover. When we pulled off the cover, it had no ring at all, and would have no doubt sucked dirty air.

Just to be sure, I pulled the filter itself off this morning, and the (smaller diameter) ring that was in there looked very compressed. Just to be sure, I put on a new one, thinking the guy might have gotten lazy and not bothered to replace it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.