Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running the desertcraft air filter prefilter in their Talon?

Any good, bad and ugly about it - seems like a descent low cost proud ($) fix to extend the filter life without having to cut into the machine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't have one because it requires you to remove the stock filter to access it. I'm sure it works well and is priced well, just don't want to have to remove all the clips and bolts to get to it.

·
Registered
2021 1000x 4 Live Valve
94 Posts
Wow, I kinda like that. Where can I find one ? Was looking at KWT, but with rear windshield and spare tire, not sure where it would go..

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was originally going to do kwt and I held out because I thought it was big and bulky plus ugly. Then this came along on a beta pre order. After he posted dyno results of no loss of power I signed up and was one of the first to receive. They are getting ready to offer to public. You can do public order on website soon. 10-80dirtsports

enjoy,

Wow, I kinda like that. Where can I find one ? Was looking at KWT, but with rear windshield and spare tire, not sure where it would go..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Keep in mind a kwt is a particle separator. It collects dirt and you dump it out. This is a pre filter to the main filter. Some of you know some people put a uni filter in the air box but it’s a piti to clean it often. What’s nice on this pre filter setup is when it gets dirty you just pull the pre filter in 20 seconds and blow it with air from inside the filter and then put back on and your done all in like 2 minutes. Your main filter will last a very long time worth this setup. The stock intake is in a bad location and can have a cyclone affect with sucking in the dirt. With that said this will save money and time and is very convenient and cost effective. In the right conditions with how the main intake is stock you could have to change the main air filter after one ride. I urge people to look at the superatv video where they show how to change a talon filter. Fast forward it to the removal and see how dirty the filter is. That should never happen with this setup installed. Obviously I’m a huge fan thus far. Hope this explanation helps. Also if there is any naysayers go ahead and educate me as I value most peoples opinion as that’s how people learn, but we have to also sift through the bull. :)

I'm on the site now. Are you happy so far? This would be cleaner than KWT, if it works...
Please, let me know

·
Registered
2021 1000x 4 Live Valve
94 Posts
Keep in mind a kwt is a particle separator. It collects dirt and you dump it out. This is a pre filter to the main filter. Some of you know some people put a uni filter in the air box but it’s a piti to clean it often. What’s nice on this pre filter setup is when it gets dirty you just pull the pre filter in 20 seconds and blow it with air from inside the filter and then put back on and your done all in like 2 minutes. Your main filter will last a very long time worth this setup. The stock intake is in a bad location and can have a cyclone affect with sucking in the dirt. With that said this will save money and time and is very convenient and cost effective. In the right conditions with how the main intake is stock you could have to change the main air filter after one ride. I urge people to look at the superatv video where they show how to change a talon filter. Fast forward it to the removal and see how dirty the filter is. That should never happen with this setup installed. Obviously I’m a huge fan thus far. Hope this explanation helps. Also if there is any naysayers go ahead and educate me as I value most peoples opinion as that’s how people learn, but we have to also sift through the bull. :)
It looks like it will work. Is there a sock over the desert craft filter? How will wet weather affect the filter? The website does not show a total cost. I'm have many questions......

·
Registered
22 Posts
Send them an e-mail and find out. I don’t know on the cost. Yes their is a pre filter cover on the pre filter. Also i wouldn’t run it in the rain probably.

It looks like it will work. Is there a sock over the desert craft filter? How will wet weather affect the filter? The website does not show a total cost. I'm have many questions......

·
Registered
2021 1000x 4 Live Valve
94 Posts
Ok, just saw the cost. I get excited very easy. Man, I wish there were some reviews.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
looks like that desert craft filter is a proud $67.

I see all the ingenious work done by many to fabricate the external uni filters, kit, particle suppliers, etc. - brilliant.

I will get the desert craft and see what happens...east coast - yes - dusty at times but just trying to save main filter.

what is the water concern? - this is just an expensive piece of oiled foam before the talon stock filter - no air box modifications

·
Registered
2021 Honda Talon 1000x Fox Live
4 Posts
I run the Desertcraft pre filter and I am extremely happy with the amount of dirt it stops from entering the oem filter.
I just returned from a two month trip to the Arizona desert. I put over 500 miles on my Talon in fine dust conditions. When I returned home I checked the air filter. I found the prefilter completely covered in a thick layer of dirt. The stock oem filter looked new with the exception of a couple of very small light dirt colored areas. I probably didn’t oil the pre filter throughly. I washed the pre filter a couple of times with K&N filter cleaner and it looks new again. I reoiled the pre filter and reinstalled it. With out the pre filter, I would have had to replace the oem filter. I figure, I just broke even with the cost of the Desertcraft being around the same price as a oem filter. I would recommend to anyone who Doesn’t want to modify their intake system. As mentioned above, the draw back is you have to remove the oem filter to service it and you have to clean the pre filter and airbox.
FYI, I did not notice any reduction in power when the pre filter was completely covered in dirt.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Anyone running the desertcraft air filter prefilter in their Talon?

Any good, bad and ugly about it - seems like a descent low cost proud ($) fix to extend the filter life without having to cut into the machine.
Right after I got my Talon almost 3 years ago and learned the filter would only last me 300 miles in my area and riding conditions, I built a DIY pre-filter almost exactly like the Desert Craft unit. It worked absolutely great BUT I soon went another route because every time you open your air box and remove/replace the filter without changing the gaskets, you are taking a chance with dirt leaks on both gaskets so you must be extra cautious when cleaning a pre-filter housed inside the stock filter housing. And you should probably replace both gaskets every so often. I was not comfortable disturbing the air filter every 250 miles to clean the pre-filter.

I then toyed with a couple pre-filters but at the dunes, they were just too noisy for my liking so I installed an S&B for about 3,500 miles and have since gone with a DIY pre-filter in the inner fender similar to the BVC (OK, it is a total rip off of theirs but I had the filter, parts and CNC to make the cover plate so I just made my own for 1/4 the cost). This current setup had been installed for about 500 miles and works good (I have to clean it a little more often due to its location) but with the S&B and now the pre-filter, I have only opened my filter housing once in 4,000 miles when I adjusted my valves and just check my filter with a scope camera through the water drain every oil change and it still looks brand new and has over 4,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ok, just saw the cost. I get excited very easy. Man, I wish there were some reviews.
I bought 2 of these for our Talons and the quality is top notch! 10-80dirtsports is a great company to order from and work with. He has some other products in his store for the Talon also. I just rode a couple weeks ago with 2-3 other Talons that had this same kit on their Talon and have nothing but good results from the kit too. The Desert Craft filter is a dry filter making it even easier to clean if it gets to dirty on a ride. This is a much less expensive option to the particle separators...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would certainly go the KWT, completely race proven. Many racers have completed and even WON the Baja 1000 in a Talon, and their filter looked incredible afterwards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Personally I think a partical separator is a much better route. This cover just seems like it is another restriction on the motor? Covering a filter doesnt seem logical to me. I chose the KWT over the S7B because it just seemed like common sense. It requires no power, no fans, and no electrical draw. The lights and stereo pull enough amperage. The KWT has been dynoed too, so theres zero HP loss. It's been pretty great, and 1000 miles through the dusty mexican baja desert, my filter looks great still.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts