Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched far and wide to find a jack that was affordable and not huge/heavy so I can pack it somewhere on the 1000X without it taking up all of the limited amount of storage we installed (Milwaukee Packouts). I settled on a Harbor Freight scissor jack for $24.99 minus a 10% coupon. While I was there I picked up an 18" breaker bar (had an extra socket for it in the shop). I put all of that into a Klein Tools 5539LRED canvas pouch I picked up on Amazon for $20 with the handle and breaker bar wrapped in a couple rags. It all fit with plenty of room to spare. I tossed it into the bottom of the big packout and we're good to go. All in for less than the price of the Tusk scissor jack and before you go bashing HF, they have really upped their game these last few years. I also carry a plug kit so if for some reason the jack doesn't work I'll plug it in place and move on.

Harbor Freight Scissor Jack $24.99

Klein Tools 5539LRED (red bag) $22.30 (because I wanted red, other colors were a few bucks less)

Harbor Freight 18" Breaker Bar $14.99

· Registered
2021 1000x 4 Live Valve
109 Posts
You may think about a buzz gun.
I bought a Harbor Freight Drill Driver, put a 1/2 inch head on it. Used this to raise the jack and lift the Talon in about 2 seconds.

· Registered
7 Posts
What about spare? 2 different tire sizes..so I purchased the front tire/rim. Read that front tire...going on rear for emergencys..won't fit without adapter..so had to spring for that. Now..for around 500 bucks..I'm ready for a flat. Geez......oh..and no tire carrier. That's 400!!!!

· Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the only reason I bothered with the jack is the machine has a spare tire. We bought it used with basically no miles on it, someone else outfitted it ~mostly~ the way I would, other than the spare tire, probably wouldn't have done that. Trying to keep the amount of gear we carry "always" to a minimum so I won't be adding a buzz gun, the manual handles will work fine if I ever need them. I'm just happy i was able to get one that was small and I was able to find something tough to store it and the required other tools to change a tire in.

· Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, the only reason I bothered with the jack is the machine has a spare tire. We bought it used with basically no miles on it, someone else outfitted it ~mostly~ the way I would, other than the spare tire, probably wouldn't have done that. Trying to keep the amount of gear we carry "always" to a minimum so I won't be adding a buzz gun, the manual handles will work fine if I ever need them. I'm just happy i was able to get one that was small and I was able to find something tough to store it and the required other tools to change a tire in.
Always good to be prepared. I ran across a guy..flat tire. He had a spare..dealer added it for him. Turns out the lug pattern on the rim was wrong..would not fit. He was not happy...

· Registered
133 Posts
I have the Tusk. It mounts easily and out of the way--mine is on a rear down tube from the roof--and the mount has held up well over about 4000 miles. Have had to use it once, on the heavier rear. Although it is a little hard to turn the handle, it worked okay once I removed the large rock I had placed it on (was in the sand and needed support) and used a shorter rock. It is almost impossible to use if you start like I did with weight on it in the "flat" position, but once I extended it a little by using a shorter rock under it, it got much easier.

I would buy the Tusk again, and am now planning on mounting it to the underside of my extended bed to get it completely out of the way.

· Registered
136 Posts
just a heads up on the jack. Most won't lift car high enough without some type of spacer. I carry a 6" block that I have bolted next to engine in empty space on passenger side. a round log off the side of the trail can get a little scetchy LOL Remember, you don't need it till you need it.

· Registered
38 Posts
Bjniceguy - you bring back a why to have a jack I’d forgotten. I had a lower rear shock bolt come out on a Can-Am. Here in AZ we’re short on logs along the trail, but long on rocks. I remember spending a long time trying to find flat enough rocks to stack! Think I’ll just keep the jack in!🙄

· Registered
2020 Honda Talon 1000X
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I pondered it too because here in the pacific northwest we have plenty of logs, the idea of backing up or driving up onto one seems like a decent solution. Also could winch the front end up off the ground from a tree for changing steer tires. I just went with a cheap jack, I'm too old for that stuff. I'll toss a piece of 2x6 in the box with it for good measure :)

· Registered
136 Posts
being an old machinist used a 5" long piece of 6" x 6" aluminum tubing i had, but i am sure a 4" x 6" piece of lumber and lag bolts would work fine. I put 2 holes in block that matched the jack to bolt to surface by engine so out of the way. bolting to jack when in use helps in off camber situations. I have not used on my unit, but 2 times I have helped people that have broken wheels and could not plug to fix. Much better than 4 guys holding unit tipped up while changing tire LOL Takes not box space

· Registered
33 Posts
being an old machinist used a 5" long piece of 6" x 6" aluminum tubing i had, but i am sure a 4" x 6" piece of lumber and lag bolts would work fine. I put 2 holes in block that matched the jack to bolt to surface by engine so out of the way. bolting to jack when in use helps in off camber situations. I have not used on my unit, but 2 times I have helped people that have broken wheels and could not plug to fix. Much better than 4 guys holding unit tipped up while changing tire LOL Takes not box space
Pictures please.

· Registered
136 Posts
sorry we are going into winter here and mine is stored in an enclosed trailer w/ battery maintainer with trailer backed inside a building with bunch of stuff blocking it in. Would take an hour to get it out where I could get a picture and then put everything back (& it is 20 degrees here this morning ) Just look at passenger side flat space behind rear wheel beside engine. Totally wasted space. Mine is metal so I am not worried about any motor heat, but if using wood, just be sure have clearance for heat.

· Registered
18 Posts
Hey jays0n, just noticed, the $25 HF scissor jack looks exactly like the Tusk scissor jack...and I mean EXACTLY. Only apparent difference is the big ol difference in price.
For what it’s worth, the Tusk jack comes with an easy mount to the tubing. this keeps it out of the way. I also carry a couple of wood blocks in my toolbox.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts