Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new 2019 leftover Talon X on Tuesday. When I went to take it for a ride on Wednesday I noticed it turned over a little slow. Figuring that the battery was a little low from sitting several months at the dealer I hooked up my trickle charger and left it on until Thursday night. Showing that the battery was completely charged and in storage mode I disconnected the charger. Saturday morning I went out to start it and the battery was so low it wouldn’t turn over the starter. I place a Jump box on it started it up and left it running, I also went riding for several hours. At one point I did turn it off for roughly 30 minutes, it did start without an issue. Today I just went out to start the machine and of course the battery is to low to start.
Is it possible something is drawing the battery down?
Did anyone else have this problem?
Or it is possible the battery is not good.
I spoke to the dealer yesterday and they are getting me a new battery. But, I do want to make sure I don’t have a constant draw causing the battery to discharge.
Your thoughts please
Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Honda 1000R
42 Posts
If you let a small battery get too low by sitting, or any other reason - drain - many times they won't recover. If you are going to install the battery, before you hook up the ground, put a multi meter between the battery and ground wire on 12V dc to see if there is a draw. If you don't see anything, then you don't have a draw. I always hook up a trickle charger pig tail to all my small batteries so I can keep a trickle charger on them if they are going to sit for over a week or so. If your open circuit battery voltage is 12.7 to 12.6 then it is fully charged - 12.45 is 75% charged - 12.24 is 50% charged. I learned this the hard way with expensive motor home batteries. During warm weather, they don't discharge as quickly, but if it is cold, then they can go down hill fast. Especially small batteries in UTV's and motorcycles. It can be a pain and lots of work if you have a big fleet.... Lots of people don't understand this and that is why they replace expensive RV batteries every two years. Batteries can only recover so many times from a low condition before they start going south fast.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you let a small battery get too low by sitting, or any other reason - drain - many times they won't recover. If you are going to install the battery, before you hook up the ground, put a multi meter between the battery and ground wire on 12V dc to see if there is a draw. If you don't see anything, then you don't have a draw. I always hook up a trickle charger pig tail to all my small batteries so I can keep a trickle charger on them if they are going to sit for over a week or so. If your open circuit battery voltage is 12.7 to 12.6 then it is fully charged - 12.45 is 75% charged - 12.24 is 50% charged. I learned this the hard way with expensive motor home batteries. During warm weather, they don't discharge as quickly, but if it is cold, then they can go down hill fast. Especially small batteries in UTV's and motorcycles. It can be a pain and lots of work if you have a big fleet.... Lots of people don't understand this and that is why they replace expensive RV batteries every two years. Batteries can only recover so many times from a low condition before they start going south fast.
Thanks I will test the system with the Multi Meter

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
I have not had any problems so far. Do you have any electronics that is not directly connected to an on off switch. My rock lights have a rocker switch that had a led and I installed a separate on off switch to disconnect it. My battery Isolator (for Aux battery) has a very tiny led and they recommend disconnecting it if you do not ride for several weeks. In any case, it sounds like you may have a small drain or jmekeel may be right. First I would charge the battery and connect it and determine if there is a drain on it -- suggest you make a list of any electronic devices you added and check each one, by disconnecting. Of course, make sure no one is playing with the lights when you are away. :) Stay safe and keep smiling

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No electronics, brand new leftover, only had it a week. I'm assuming the dealer let the battery go so dead that it wont recover. They ordered me a new one, it should be in by end of week.
I did a full charge and it drops below 12 volts quickly, then she doesn't have a strong enough charge to turn the starter over.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
I recommend having the battery checked. Process of elimination and you can do that fairly easy. If the battery is faulty you isolated the problem and if not keep troubleshooting.

Or wait for the dealer battery. With the virus running about that maybe your best choice. In any case do stay safe and keep smiling it helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts