Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a total noob to side by sides as this is my first, had it for just under a year. I love it…BUT I noticed the wheelbase is so much narrower that Razr and Canamm. I’d like to learn what’s the best easiest and cheapest way hopefully to add width. Is it just getting new wheels with an offset?or are there spacers to use with the existing wheels? Appreciate your feedback!

· Registered
2021 Talon X4, 32" BFG's and two car seats
51 Posts
Im interested in this too. Only options I have seen are:
1. HCR Long travel suspension gives you 72” width for 7k.
2. Swapping X suspension for R suspension can give you 68” width.
3. Portals give you 72” width for 4K but limits your high speed capability
4. Wheel spacers give you up to 68” width but put A LOT of stress on the wheel bearings.

I am interested in other options also.

· Registered
402 Posts
2. Swapping X suspension for R suspension can give you 68” width.
This is not a straight bolt on swap. You will need to fabricate the front upper link mounts as they are missing on the X4 frame. It will also bind the front CV's with the X steering rack so you will need to swap the rack or limit the X rack. Doing that will make the rig have a ~25 foot turning radius and probably the reason Honda doesn't make a R4 model.

This is the mount point that is missing...

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

· Registered
6 Posts
This is not a straight bolt on swap. You will need to fabricate the front upper link mounts as they are missing on the X4 frame. It will also bind the front CV's with the X steering rack so you will need to swap the rack or limit the X rack. Doing that will make the rig have a ~25 foot turning radius and probably the reason Honda doesn't make a R4 model.

This is the mount point that is missing...

View attachment 3751
With a good fabricator anything is possible.
Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

· Registered
6 Posts
Do you have a thread for this build?
This car has been on again/ off again for almost 2 years. When I had time my Fab guy didn't. Anyway, the chassis fab work was done about 6 months ago and the cage is at the powdercoater this week. Hopefully soon. I'm not really a thread guy but would be happy to answer any questions :) BTW, there is a ready built kit that includes the upper front chassis link- wish I would have know that..

· Registered
6 Posts
@Battleborn, is that the HRC Long Travel Kit for an "R" retrofitted onto an X4?
Yes, exactly. HCR makes a long travel kit for the X's that increases track width to 72" but you only get about 16" of actual rear wheel travel. Their R kit is essentially the same track width but something like 22" of rear travel. So in my mind that means buy a donor car and lop off all the stuff I need for my 4 seat X to become an R :) My car also has the Jackson Racing turbo kit. I'm actually in the shop today finalizing the S & B particle seperator plumbing.

· Registered
84 Posts
I am a total noob to side by sides as this is my first, had it for just under a year. I love it…BUT I noticed the wheelbase is so much narrower that Razr and Canamm. I’d like to learn what’s the best easiest and cheapest way hopefully to add width. Is it just getting new wheels with an offset?or are there spacers to use with the existing wheels? Appreciate your feedback!
I just did new wheels and tires. Wheels are 5+2 offset with 1.5 inch spacers in the rear. Im at 67" wide.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.