Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone converted their X to an R. I was looking at the parts list for both to see what it would take. Would I need to replace the front and rear axles? I don't have an R to measure and compare the lengths of the shafts.

·
Registered
402 Posts
You will need all 4 axles. I have researched this quite a bit. It will work on the 2 seater only, the 4 seater is missing a couple control arm mounts in the rear.

Also, the steering racks are different. The R had less turning radius built into the rack to avoid CV Joint binding and wheel rubbing. If you use the X rack, it will have a better turning radius but the steering must be perfectly centered and the toe must be zero to avoid CV Joint binding.

Here is the list I have...
  • Front upper and lower control arms
  • Front brake hoses
  • Tie rod pipe (ends are the same)
  • Front axles
  • Front shocks
  • Rear trailing arms
  • Rear trailing arm pivots and mounting bolts
  • Rear upper arms and mounting hardware
  • Rear radius rods
  • Rear knuckles
  • Rear brake lines from the frame back to the wheels and all the mounting hardware
  • Rear axles
  • Rear shocks
Edited: forgot some hardware.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's been done but does seem like a pricey conversion. Not cheap but something else to consider is going with an HCR long travel kit. The results might even be better than an R conversion and this works on the X4 as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.