Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to do clutch relearn, followed all the steps of the instructions but computer won’t take the relearn. Swapped Ecu from buddy’s talon and tried again, that didn’t work. Swapped them opposite and that didn’t work, now both talons are in “limp mode” and won’t go past 1st gear. Everytime I try the gearbox square on the dash begins with the 2 second intermediate blink and ALWAYS goes to the half second unsuccessful blink. Any advice from anyone out there please?

·
Registered
259 Posts
walk away, grab a beer, re-read the procedure, and watch the utube videos on the pioneer clutch learn

I’ve never had to do it on my talon, but my job is programming drives, plc’s, etc. and usually it’s ME when the damn thingy I’m working on doesn’t respond - go grab a coffee, clear the mind, and it usually falls into place

btw, you have a hell of a friend

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thanks for the beer comments! Lol definitely got that part correct, and the whiskey part, unfortunately still no relearn success fml

·
Registered
220 Posts
  1. What year and model?
  2. Are you running any tuners? If so, it may not work until you return it to a stock tune.
  3. Are there any PGM-FI or DCT DTC's? If there are, the relearn will not work until all DTC's are corrected/cleared.
  4. Did you make sure the engine is at full temp before trying? If not, warm the engine completely up before you try again.
  5. Idle speed must be normal.
  6. The fan must be off.
Someone uploaded the pages from the service manual here...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2020 4door 1000x
Followed all steps from the manual
No tuners
Have a lot of other mods
Run 35/36” mud tires, on forward A arms, lift, tender springs, NO portal or gear reduction so I’m wondering if we actually have a clutch pack trans issue that simply won’t relearn but I cannot believe no one else has had this issue which makes me believe I’m doing something wrong?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Second gear was slipping and not shifting

first was fine, then Roma would run high in second and the talon wouldn’t shift again until third gear

·
Registered
220 Posts
You are not the first to have this problem. Another owner fried his 1,3,5 clutch (over-boosted his turbo and did brake stall starts) and his wouldn't relearn either. He had to replace his clutches.

35" tires are just too much without some sort of gear reduction. You most likely fried the 2,4,6 clutch (and probably the 1,3,5 is next), especially if you are a mudder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Definitely mudders! and that’s what I was afraid of.

just can’t find anything out there with similar problem, thanks for the advice

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes that is good, however, I’m guessing if I go to portals I won’t have this issue in the future?

·
Registered
220 Posts
With 36" tires, you probably want 45% reduction. You should be aware of some of the facts before you decide to go with portals.
  • Portals will reduce the strain on the entire drivetrain from the engine all the way to the axles. Your clutches will thank you for this!
  • Portals will increase the strain on the suspension and the frame. You can (should) mitigate the front frame strain by installing a front frame stiffener.
  • Portals add width, a lot of width at 4" per side. Your 64" machine will now be 72" and that is before any wheel offset difference you might have. It is not uncommon to see a 10" increase in width if you install a +30mm offset wheel and 10" wide tires. Because of this, it messes with the front end geometry and can make steering a little harder and reduce handling.
  • Portals will increase mantnenece as you must change the portal oil quite regularly (SuperATV recommends every 250 miles).
There are obviously more pros and cons that I failed to mention.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well fuck it, break it and upgrade is the name of the game, going with 8” portals and 42” motohavocs with 45% reduction

·
Registered
66 Posts
yep been there done that. i burned up 1 3 5 clutch beating the hell outa it. replaced it at 1400 miles with 14 lbs of boost. would not relearn. since then i now do not do the dumb things that i did before but i now know what it takes to take out the clutch. at just shy of 2k miles now with no problems. [with the clutch] lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well fuck it, break it and upgrade is the name of the game, going with 8” portals and 42” motohavocs with 45% reduction
Hey I had the same problem, mine would not complete the relearn, but it will still shift. It slips when shifting to third, so I did put 6in portals with 42in motohavocs and have been riding 4 times with no issue

·
Registered
75 Posts
At what point do you have to worry about a clutch relearn?

I have a good list of mods on mine, however the recent addition of 32" tires makes me wonder if I have to do a relearn as well.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
i do it when it seems that it is not shifting very well. i think im getting close again to needing another clutch. my 1 3 5 is starting to act weird. honda says that you should not have to do it after the first time. but i find it works better after. i really hope some aftermarket stuff comes out for the clutchs soon. its getting pricey to change 1 or 2 times a year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts