Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2020 Talon 1000x yesterday and 4 miles in to my first test ride as I took off from a stop sign it was shifting weird and then the Clutch High Temp Light came on and shut the engine off. Leading up to this I was on a flat gravel road cruising around 40-50 area. Gonna to get a hold of the dealer Monday but to say the least I'm concerned that this is happened. Has any one else had this issue, if so what was the remedy?

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
First of all RCO Talon Ohio, Welcome to the forum, hope you find it useful. Second have the dealer find and fix the issue. That is one I have not heard of with a brand new machine so it sounds like something is very wrong with it. Were you using on roadway with launch control engaged? Hope it is an easy fix.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank BlueDog, so I checked the sub-transmission fluid, with dip stick screwed in I was between the correct marks, but checking per the manual it is low. I'm hoping this is my issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know if this could be the problem but Honda had a recall on early Talons because the cooling fan was wired backwards and was not providing sufficient cooling to the engine. Ask the dealer about the recall.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Sparky (electrician?), I saw that on another post, per the pictures on that post it's wired correctly. I also checked the oil and coolant and both are low, the coolant is just below the minimum line. Both the oil and transmission oil have the green marks on the caps, but I'm pretty disappointed with the dealer at the moment. We'll see what they say tomorrow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Electrical engineer. I have also heard of some Talon being delivered with low oil levels. Yes that is the dealers responsibility. I have 288 miles on mine now and no major problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I found a loose ground on the crank case, I hope this is my clutch issue but now I have the I-4wd light staying on. I haven't even driven this today just filled with oil and tightened the ground. Anyone hear of this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dealer will have to turn off i-4wd light. Ran into this problem after a flat on trail. Repaired tire and i-4wd worked but light stayed on until dealer reset it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congrats on the Talon X. Bought mine in january and it's a wierd machine at first then you get used to it and love it. Feel more connected to the machine and terrain than I did with my RZR, although the RZR was easier to drive. Immediately after I bought mine, my father-in-law test drove it then bought his and sold RZR. Hoping Honda quality will last.

Take that machine to the dealer and have them check it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for reply. I drove it around the yard and the I-4wd came off and didn't get the clutch overheating light. True test will come this weekend.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I can't remember exactly where it is but you can take a jumper and short out a connector and it will reset the lights. I will try and figure out where the connector is but I know there is one somewhere.;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just picked up a 2020 Talon 1000x yesterday and 4 miles in to my first test ride as I took off from a stop sign it was shifting weird and then the Clutch High Temp Light came on and shut the engine off. Leading up to this I was on a flat gravel road cruising around 40-50 area. Gonna to get a hold of the dealer Monday but to say the least I'm concerned that this is happened. Has any one else had this issue, if so what was the remedy?
Just picked my 2020 1000x-4 with Live valve last week and I’m having the same clutch temperature/low engine oil pressure on mine. Came on at 156 miles while running 40-50 mph on dirt road as well. Does it still appear to be a grounding issue?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just picked my 2020 1000x-4 with Live valve last week and I’m having the same clutch temperature/low engine oil pressure on mine. Came on at 156 miles while running 40-50 mph on dirt road as well. Does it still appear to be a grounding issue?
Sorry for the late reply, kind of forgot about this. I have not had an issue since I found the loose ground. Be sure to check that both grounds are tightened down all the way. There is one on the frame and one on the engine block.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts