Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Did it yesterday and today, plus a few times before that.
2021 R Live Valve with a Jackson turbo.
And after FOG pushed me a bit I did it in a non-turbo 2021 R-LV. I do have a full muffler system and a minor “chip” installed. No problem.

Without pics it didn’t happen!
Cloud Sky Tire Land vehicle Wheel

Sky Cloud Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have found the secret to climbing with the talon is manual mode. If you let the transmission shift itself in the sand it will do some lazy stuff. These cars beg to be driven and are more capable of being race cars than we are of being race car drivers. peak torque seems to be about 7000 RPM. if you can maintain that best as possible you will climb just about anything. My talon will spin tires in the sand which leads to lots of lost climbing capability. Keep the tires planted and power going to the ground which means not just standing on the throttle and hoping for the best. When I bought my talon everyone was making fun on me saying I bought an underpowered car and I was going to be dissapointed. Im not in the least. After "mastering" shifting it with the paddles It will do anything an X3 or RZR can do, and its SO fun to drive. I also believe learning to drive it in manual makes you a safer driver. I always have power to throttle out of a slide or sticky situation. Instead of waiting for the transmission to downshift, which is fast, but not fast enough to get you out a bad slide.

Chila wall is no problem if you keep it betweek 3rd and 4th gear. Just shoot for that 7000-8000 RPM mark and send it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sport mode on the transmission is good most of the time in the sand, proactive downshifting is super helpful on steep climbs or places where more power is needed. 98% of the time my non-turbo is perfectly fine, and I can hang with most other sleds. Outside of the sand (I mostly do desert trails south of Phoenix) I almost never run sport on the trans.

I agree with you, plenty of power and LOVE the transmission. No rubber in the drivetrain!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I do enjoy the sport mode. I just like being in control.lol. driving to non-turbo car is fun. I always thought it was more fun to drive a slow car fast. I have a Kraftworks turbo on the way and I'm almost sad to let my naturally aspirated Talon go. So much fun to drive. We'll see how the turbo changes that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I do enjoy the sport mode. I just like being in control.lol. driving to non-turbo car is fun. I always thought it was more fun to drive a slow car fast. I have a Kraftworks turbo on the way and I'm almost sad to let my naturally aspirated Talon go. So much fun to drive. We'll see how the turbo changes that.
I think you’ll love the turbo in the sand dunes. I spend most of my winter in the Glamis sand dunes and up until this season have had several sand cars. I occasionally dune with buddies that have sand cars in my 2021 Talon RLV with a Jackson turbo and have to run at WOT in some of the bigger bowls to keep up.
I think how you drive depends on how you like to ride.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have found the secret to climbing with the talon is manual mode. If you let the transmission shift itself in the sand it will do some lazy stuff. These cars beg to be driven and are more capable of being race cars than we are of being race car drivers. peak torque seems to be about 7000 RPM. if you can maintain that best as possible you will climb just about anything. My talon will spin tires in the sand which leads to lots of lost climbing capability. Keep the tires planted and power going to the ground which means not just standing on the throttle and hoping for the best. When I bought my talon everyone was making fun on me saying I bought an underpowered car and I was going to be dissapointed. Im not in the least. After "mastering" shifting it with the paddles It will do anything an X3 or RZR can do, and its SO fun to drive. I also believe learning to drive it in manual makes you a safer driver. I always have power to throttle out of a slide or sticky situation. Instead of waiting for the transmission to downshift, which is fast, but not fast enough to get you out a bad slide.

Chila wall is no problem if you keep it betweek 3rd and 4th gear. Just shoot for that 7000-8000 RPM mark and send it.
I drive 100% of the time in Manual mode. Easier on the car and much more productive power at all times.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I drive 100% of the time in Manual mode. Easier on the car and much more productive power at all times.
Please provide more information as to why Manual mode is easier on the car and much more productive power at all times. I mainly drive my Talon in Auto-Sport mode but would like to make it easier on the car and get much more productive power. And I’m sure other people would like the education as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts