Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1000x 4 Live Valve
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put a 3/4 inch slice in the sidewall yesterday. I believe it is patchable, but worried. Will it be OK, or should I just get a new tire. Hate to think I only got
187 mile out of it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm not sure where you are from but here in western PA I see new Talon takeoff tires pretty regularly on FB Marketplace for sale. I don't know much about the stock tires as mine came new with larger tires and beadlocks but if you have the budget to buy some tires with a higher ply rating you might not have to worry about slices or punctures as much. I have 32" Sedona Rockabillys and I think they are 8 ply rated. I run them at 12psi and haven't had a slice or puncture in 1200 miles. This includes 700-800 miles riding in Colorados Rocky Mtns where I was sure there would be a sidewall slice due to the offcamber, super loose sharp rock trails. When we got home and washed the buggy you could see that about 5" of the sidewalls were "polished" by the rocks. Good luck in your quest!

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you know a reliable tire store, ask them if they can do it. The "boot" type patches are pretty large and may work, but you need an experienced person to see the damage in person. Trust their advice.

The info above about patches being so you can get somewhere and change to a spare, is more accurate with respect to plugs. You can perform a quick repair on smaller puncture in the field with a plug kit, but that plug should then be removed as soon as you can get to a shop to get it patched. Patches are very reliable if done correctly, as long as the damage is not too large (again, have a professional actually look at it).

Also, if you want to get more use out of the tire, consider using it as your spare. If the reputable tire store patches it, then just make sure it continues to hold air over time on your spare tire rack. It is only for "emergency use" and should get you to where you can get needed repairs done.

Getting a flat on a SXS (these are not bikes) is not terribly dangerous, and something we should all expect from time to time, even if running new tires. If the thing starts pulling to one side or doing something else that is unusual, just pull over and check your machine out.

·
Registered
2021 1000x 4 Live Valve
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure where you are from but here in western PA I see new Talon takeoff tires pretty regularly on FB Marketplace for sale. I don't know much about the stock tires as mine came new with larger tires and beadlocks but if you have the budget to buy some tires with a higher ply rating you might not have to worry about slices or punctures as much. I have 32" Sedona Rockabillys and I think they are 8 ply rated. I run them at 12psi and haven't had a slice or puncture in 1200 miles. This includes 700-800 miles riding in Colorados Rocky Mtns where I was sure there would be a sidewall slice due to the offcamber, super loose sharp rock trails. When we got home and washed the buggy you could see that about 5" of the sidewalls were "polished" by the rocks. Good luck in your quest!
Thank you. I am going to replace the tire, and maybe keep this one as a spare.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Put a 3/4 inch slice in the sidewall yesterday. I believe it is patchable, but worried. Will it be OK, or should I just get a new tire. Hate to think I only got
187 mile out of it.
187 mile out of it.
That happened to me. My front tire hada hole on the side wall had to replace tire with only 120 miles on it. These tires that Honda put suck. They are 6 ply. What I did I changed both of my front tires with 8ply and have been holding better. The rears I already have 2 plugs on them (original tires) ones they are done replacing them with 8-10 ply.
I took the puncture tire to the shop and they said that because these are not radial tires like the vehicle tires they cannot put a patch. Anyone have an opinion about this?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Only thing that would work is find someone with a vulcanizer thats how they fix mine trucks and tractors tires, but they are hard to come bye these days almost need a shop that makes retread truck tires

·
Registered
131 Posts
So I did some research on this.

The Tire Industry Association says to never repair the sidewall or shoulder of a tire and to never repair damage over 1/4". This appears to be directed primarily toward on-road tires but should be considered for off-road as well. 3/4" is pretty large, well past TIA's 1/4" limit, and in the sidewall. Personally, if a competent tire company felt it was repairable and did so (you might not be able to find one that will agree to it), I would be comfortable with it as a short term spare only. For your reading pleasure:

·
Registered
2021 1000x 4 Live Valve
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well,
I just took the tire off the rack. Slice is really close to the bead, so a new tire it will be.
Hate that it happened, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I would not even trust it as a spare.
What is the saying, Ya live, Ya loyrn....
Thanks again for all the advise and answers, I really do appreciate it.
Gordo

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.