Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed one of these (with the K&N filter + Outerwears), and I have to say that I am impressed with the performance. Clearly it provides more airflow than the stock setup, and I can indeed feel the difference! Normally, I would never trust a K&N as my only filter, but this is just a prefilter, so if it catches the worst stuff, the stock filter inside can easily handle the rest (and last a whole lot longer!). You can also run an oiled pod foam filter if you wish.

Inspected the airbox after ~100 dusty miles, and the Outerwears was caked (only took a minute to change out), the K&N was still looking good, and the inner airbox and stock filter were clean. Looking forward to not having to disassemble the whole airbox every time to see how the dirty side of the stock filter is looking.

On the downside, one issue I can see is keeping it dry in heavy rain. It is kind of wide open, and not well protected from the elements. The Outerwears is hydrophobic, but it will still suck water under vacuum. I live in the arid southwest (occasional usually short lived summer thunderstorms) so this isn't a huge issue for me...yet, but I will have to think some about how I will handle this.

Another thing they should include in the kit (it is a bit pricey!), is an air dam for the backside of the filter (area toward the airbox side). This is wide open and dirty air can come up form below. It already gets plenty of air, so the additional dirty air isn't any help. I am going to pull out the stock rubber dams and use them as a template for the shape and location of the attachments, and fashion my own, but this is something they could easily include, especially at this price.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I believe that the filter catches a lot of dust there. The dust just boils in the bed. It would be better vented to the outside, or up high under the roof for water protection. Then there wouldn’t be a cover to take off to clean the outer wear. Or just do a warrior snorkel. I ran one of those before I got the Donaldson canister with the Top spin cap that acts like a turbo to keep the dust out. The cartridges are huge, easy to replace, and $23 instead of $50 for the stock filter

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you look at the pics on their website, there is a large vent at the rear into the cargo bed (removable for filter access), that is intended to prevent dirty air from boiling around in there, and seems to work out well.

The area I am concerned with is 90 degrees from there toward the center of the vehicle. When the stock snorkel is removed, it leaves some gaps in this area and dirty air can come up from below. A simple dam would easily close this off, then air could only come in the side and top vents, and this is way cleaner than dusty wheel well air.

A 1 gallon freezer bag fits nicely and easily over the filter, so I will always have one of these in place during transport or when it is not being used. If I get caught in a thunderstorm, I would probably sit it our anyway, so I can just throw one on and keep the intake dry....and hope the frame doesn't become a lightning rod.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I thought that the air was sucked in thru that cover?. If the filter is caked after only 100 mile, I would try to get cleaner air to it.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Wow! that thing is expensive. So, for $240, you get a $30 filter, $20 sock, $20 silicone elbow, and a pc. of bent sheet metal? To clean the sock every ride, you have to remove the 6 screws? Or do they want you to leave off the inner plastic fender and access it from above the rear wheel?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I believe that the filter catches a lot of dust there. The dust just boils in the bed. It would be better vented to the outside, or up high under the roof for water protection. Then there wouldn’t be a cover to take off to clean the outer wear. Or just do a warrior snorkel. I ran one of those before I got the Donaldson canister with the Top spin cap that acts like a turbo to keep the dust out. The cartridges are huge, easy to replace, and $23 instead of $50 for the stock filter
Do you have a write up or pics and parts lists of your Donaldson setup?

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
The housing number is G082528 and the replacement filter is P828889.. That is the 4” in and out housing. They also make a 3 1/2” version. Then it’s just a 4” silicone hose 90 deg. elbow, a 45 deg. silicone elbow1 and a short pc of 4” aluminum 30 deg. or 45 deg. pipe. The piping is all inter cooler stuff. Then I added the top spin as well that acts like a particle separator. I dont have the number for that. You can finf it in Donaldson‘s website.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
Since I have it feeding the turbo, I wanted the 4” so there was no resistance at all. The 3 1/2” would have prolly been fine, but the housings were almost exactly the same size. I did have to make a reducing bushing to adapt to the turbo intake pipe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed one of these (with the K&N filter + Outerwears), and I have to say that I am impressed with the performance. Clearly it provides more airflow than the stock setup, and I can indeed feel the difference! Normally, I would never trust a K&N as my only filter, but this is just a prefilter, so if it catches the worst stuff, the stock filter inside can easily handle the rest (and last a whole lot longer!). You can also run an oiled pod foam filter if you wish.

Inspected the airbox after ~100 dusty miles, and the Outerwears was caked (only took a minute to change out), the K&N was still looking good, and the inner airbox and stock filter were clean. Looking forward to not having to disassemble the whole airbox every time to see how the dirty side of the stock filter is looking.

On the downside, one issue I can see is keeping it dry in heavy rain. It is kind of wide open, and not well protected from the elements. The Outerwears is hydrophobic, but it will still suck water under vacuum. I live in the arid southwest (occasional usually short lived summer thunderstorms) so this isn't a huge issue for me...yet, but I will have to think some about how I will handle this.

Another thing they should include in the kit (it is a bit pricey!), is an air dam for the backside of the filter (area toward the airbox side). This is wide open and dirty air can come up form below. It already gets plenty of air, so the additional dirty air isn't any help. I am going to pull out the stock rubber dams and use them as a template for the shape and location of the attachments, and fashion my own, but this is something they could easily include, especially at this price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed one of these too. I love it. Way easier to work when cleaning the pre filter and protects my filter and above all engine. what I like is that it is hidden. See the pix.
6CB2B147-3426-495E-9DE8-23414D385F6B.jpeg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Installed a KWT separator. Just finished running 1200 miles at the Puaite. Filter was a little dirty but not bad. Dumped the separator at the start of every day. I was very impressed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts