Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2021 Talon X4, 32" BFG's and two car seats
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a custom spare tire mount that Factory UTV fabricated for me. I wanted to keep the added weight of a spare tire low and make the spare tire easily accessible and also retain some storage space in the bed. I started with this mount: Single Clamp Spare Tire Mount - Customizable - Factory UTV. Called Factory UTV to place the order and asked them to fabricate the mount with a 9.5in long straight tube and a 2in clamp.

To install the mount, I had to cut a small hole in the rear plastic (see picture). The mount clamped onto the rear rube of where the left and right sides are welded together. A little bit of excess weld material needed to be ground off the tube to make the clamp fit around the tube. Otherwise the install was easy.

If you are looking for a budget spare tire mount that keep the spare tire low, I highly recommend this one. You can even change the angle of the spare tire to suit what you think looks best.

Attachments

· Registered
39 Posts
I've been looking at making my own mount myself. I want something cheap that is mounted lower and won't block my view from the rear view mirror. The mounts that are also bed extenders cost more than I want to spend. I will probably do something similar to what you did. Nice job.

· Registered
21 Posts
Is this still performing well for you? Is there any slipping in the mount on the bar from riding with the spare tire? I've always wondered about the single point attachment and long term use. This looks like a perfect solution for my need though at a great price.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this still performing well for you? Is there any slipping in the mount on the bar from riding with the spare tire? I've always wondered about the single point attachment and long term use. This looks like a perfect solution for my need though at a great price.
Ive had it installed for about four months and have not had any issues. When I ordered the piece, I was a little concerned that it might slip, but when I received the mount, I realized how heavy duty the clamp actually is. The clamp is a lot bigger and stronger than I anticipated. No slippage has occurred and I would be really surprised if it does. Just be sure to clean off the excess weld slag on the cage where the two rear bars meet and where the clamp is supposed to go, so that you get a good uniform surface to clamp to.

In physics, the farther a mass is from its mounting point, the more leverage it has on that mounting point. In this case, the more horizontal the tire is, the less rotation force it can exert on the clamp. Try and keep the tire as horizontal as possible to minimize the rotation force it can exert on the clamp.

The only thing I would do differently is to make the bar 11 inches long instead of 9.5. This would provide a few additional inches of room for my tool set to lay down under the spare tire instead of in front of it. Since this is a custom piece, you can order it in whatever length you want depending on what you want to store underneath it.

· Registered
21 Posts
Very valid point in reference to the rotational force. I didn't think about that. I ride pretty hard and race so I still find myself being skeptical but I will take your experience as good for the slippage question. I'll have to get a measurement of the boxes that will sit under the tire also. That's a good point to bring up. Thank you for responding so promptly!

· Registered
21 Posts
Hey Jon, I called FactoryUTV and they didn't even know they made one like you described previously haha! I told them the same measurements you listed in your original post. My question here though is did they do any reinforcement on the mount to compensate for the 32 inch tire and wheel? I described to them the tire and wheel setup I have and they seem concerned. Do you happen to know the weight of your wheel and tire? Mine are 55 lbs. At this point have you noticed any hairline cracks in the weld joints of the mount or bending?

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hey Jon, I called FactoryUTV and they didn't even know they made one like you described previously haha! I told them the same measurements you listed in your original post. My question here though is did they do any reinforcement on the mount to compensate for the 32 inch tire and wheel? I described to them the tire and wheel setup I have and they seem concerned. Do you happen to know the weight of your wheel and tire? Mine are 55 lbs. At this point have you noticed any hairline cracks in the weld joints of the mount or bending?
My spare tire is a 32" Tensor. It is 35lbs. The wheel is a factory Talon rear wheel (not sure of weight). The combo probably weighs around 45-50lbs. I have not noticed any cracks in the welds or bends in the tube. There are no reinforcements to the clamp, tube or mounting plate. I supposed it wouldn't hurt to add a few triangular gussets on the clamp/tube for a heavier setup. Like we discussed above, I think that the failure point on this setup would be the clamp rotating, not any material failures in the clamp or tube. Its a stout piece.

What spare wheel and tire do you have? If you are concerned about the welds cracking or tube bending, you may be able to calculate the tube length (slightly shorter than mine) so that the tire touches/rests on the rearmost bed plastic piece when bolted down. This will provide some extra support and relieve some stress on the mount.

Im not surprised they didnt know they made it. This is not a piece they sell off the shelf. My invoice description says "custom":
Font Art Building Brand Number

My invoice number is 38961. Maybe that will help them see what components they used.
Not sure if it matters, but i dealt with Beth.

Attachments

· Registered
21 Posts
My spare tire is a 32" Tensor. It is 35lbs. The wheel is a factory Talon rear wheel (not sure of weight). The combo probably weighs around 45-50lbs. I have not noticed any cracks in the welds or bends in the tube. There are no reinforcements to the clamp, tube or mounting plate. I supposed it wouldn't hurt to add a few triangular gussets on the clamp/tube for a heavier setup. Like we discussed above, I think that the failure point on this setup would be the clamp rotating, not any material failures in the clamp or tube. Its a stout piece.

What spare wheel and tire do you have? If you are concerned about the welds cracking or tube bending, you may be able to calculate the tube length (slightly shorter than mine) so that the tire touches/rests on the rearmost bed plastic piece when bolted down. This will provide some extra support and relieve some stress on the mount.

Im not surprised they didnt know they made it. This is not a piece they sell off the shelf. My invoice description says "custom": View attachment 3576
My invoice number is 38961. Maybe that will help them see what components they used.
Not sure if it matters, but i dealt with Beth.
The tire I run is the Maxxis RZR XT and the wheel is Method Racing 410 15 inch. Your weight and mine aren't far off by any reason. Truthfully, I'm confident the mount will be fine, it was the manager that had concerns with the mount. I'm also speaking with Beth. It looks in your images that your about a half inch away from the plastic and bed frame with the tire, is that accurate? I wouldn't mind figuring the measurements out but I'm away from the Talon for about another week and a half for work. Might be able to get my wife to help look. I agree with you also, I think the clamp slipping is the only reason for concern, and I feel that is unlikely. I like your suggestion with slightly reducing the length to take some load off the mount, so I'm leaning towards a 9 inch tube, but I don't know for sure if that will be enough to still allow me to torque the lug nuts with the tire sitting properly. Got some research to do. I really appreciate you're responses.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The tire I run is the Maxxis RZR XT and the wheel is Method Racing 410 15 inch. Your weight and mine aren't far off by any reason. Truthfully, I'm confident the mount will be fine, it was the manager that had concerns with the mount. I'm also speaking with Beth. It looks in your images that your about a half inch away from the plastic and bed frame with the tire, is that accurate? I wouldn't mind figuring the measurements out but I'm away from the Talon for about another week and a half for work. Might be able to get my wife to help look. I agree with you also, I think the clamp slipping is the only reason for concern, and I feel that is unlikely. I like your suggestion with slightly reducing the length to take some load off the mount, so I'm leaning towards a 9 inch tube, but I don't know for sure if that will be enough to still allow me to torque the lug nuts with the tire sitting properly. Got some research to do. I really appreciate you're responses.
Honestly, I don't recall how i came up with 9.5 in. I did some measuring with the tire sitting where i wanted it and made an educated guess and then added 1/2" because i didn't want the mount to be too short. For me, the $160 gamble was better than spending $400 on something I don't like. Even if this mount didn't work the way i wanted it to, I would have clamped the mount onto the rear roll cage bars and mount the tire vertically.
When the tire is perfectly horizontal, it rests solely on the mount about 3/8"-1/2" above the plastic. I rotated it until the tire made contact with the rearmost plastic (see pic) and then tightened the clamp.

Attachments

· Registered
21 Posts
The Factory UTV unit seems to fit well with my DS18 speaker pods. I believe I can even get a 30" tire in there without making another adjustment. We are hitting up Hard Rock Off-road Park in Ocala this weekend. We'll see if it moves any. View attachment 3577 View attachment 3577 View attachment 3578 View attachment 3578 View attachment 3579 View attachment 3579 View attachment 3577 View attachment 3578 View attachment 3579 View attachment 3580 View attachment 3580 View attachment 3577 View attachment 3578 View attachment 3579 View attachment 3580
Looks nice. I've considered the dual clamp, but when racing I find it better to have the weight as low as possible and off the back a little helps with bucking. If I used a dual clamp like that, I can guarantee myself a flip in some turns.

· Registered
21 Posts
Honestly, I don't recall how i came up with 9.5 in. I did some measuring with the tire sitting where i wanted it and made an educated guess and then added 1/2" because i didn't want the mount to be too short. For me, the $160 gamble was better than spending $400 on something I don't like. Even if this mount didn't work the way i wanted it to, I would have clamped the mount onto the rear roll cage bars and mount the tire vertically.
When the tire is perfectly horizontal, it rests solely on the mount about 3/8"-1/2" above the plastic. I rotated it until the tire made contact with the rearmost plastic (see pic) and then tightened the clamp.
Okay perfect. I think I'll go with a 9 inch tube then. The tire sits well in the bed and with this mount, might even get some friction from the bars going down, helping to keep it in place. I've also considered mounting it vertically and might get my wife to do a quick measurement for me since that could help balance the weight of the oversized fuel tank on the passenger side. I may find multiple uses for this mount in truth. Thanks for that photo, it answered my last question!!!! I'll post an update when the day comes.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay perfect. I think I'll go with a 9 inch tube then. The tire sits well in the bed and with this mount, might even get some friction from the bars going down, helping to keep it in place. I've also considered mounting it vertically and might get my wife to do a quick measurement for me since that could help balance the weight of the oversized fuel tank on the passenger side. I may find multiple uses for this mount in truth. Thanks for that photo, it answered my last question!!!! I'll post an update when the day comes.
Great! I'd like to see the result.
Which oversized fuel tank do you have? I'd sure like to increase my fuel capacity but dont like carrying extra fuel cans.

· Registered
21 Posts
I bought the trail tank fuel cell. It increases capacity to 11.5 gallons total and same price as the Hess fuel tank that only holds 10 gallons. I use the fuelpax for when I want to carry extra fuel, but definitely not for racing. It was $400 and about $470 or something shipped.

· Registered
131 Posts
I think Trail Tanks is still the only company that makes an oversized tank for the talon. It holds 10 gallons.

I previously posted a photo and information about how my installation went (removal of stock tank is quite a bit harder than installation of the new tank because the mounts on the Trail Tanks unit are removable and facilitates installation).

I have 3000 miles on my RLV now and have been very pleased with the Trail Tanks tank.

· Registered
21 Posts
I think Trail Tanks is still the only company that makes an oversized tank for the talon. It holds 10 gallons.

I previously posted a photo and information about how my installation went (removal of stock tank is quite a bit harder than installation of the new tank because the mounts on the Trail Tanks unit are removable and facilitates installation).

I have 3000 miles on my RLV now and have been very pleased with the Trail Tanks tank.
Trail tank depends on if you have a 2 or 4 seater. My trail tank is 11.5 gallon. Hess makes a 10 gallon also, for the same price.

· Registered
21 Posts
Figured I would add to this discussion one more time. I purchased this single post spare tire mount and put it to the test immediately in a race. It performed flawlessly. The mount was beefed up a bit for me since my tire and wheel weigh 55 lbs. Even in some really harsh riding the mount didn't budge and there is no sign of failure. I'm very happy with it. Under $200 for this.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.