Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broke my lower ball joint.

It came installed on the SuperATV 4 inch Portals, no worries it was covered by SuperSTVs warranty and is on the way. Thanks SuperATV and a special shout out to Sharon, -- Thank you. Always treat you fairly at SuperATV.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The replacement arrived today, how is that for service! Thanks SuperATV. They did not even charge me for postage. :)

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow getting the old ball joint out is proving to be a chore if you have portals there is no room for the standard automotive ball joint remover. After fiddling with it a bit I took it to a machine shop and they managed to break a snap on puller. They are looking at options when the snap on truck arrives. I thought this was an easy job. :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
I tore my lower ball joint boots when I put the high clearance A arms on it. I rubber cemented the tears but am worried they are going to prematurely fail. I'd like to install new ball joints but they look tough to replace. Do you have any recommendations or tips?

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi terratrooper, they are in a tough location. You can try and get them out, I broke mine free but then it froze when I tried to get them the rest of the way out. The joint I replaced very well could have been swollen and that may have been the biggest problem. After you get the clip out try using sandpaper and make sure all dirt, and rust are removed also use plenty of penetrating oil. If the ball joint brakes free gently push it out. It just might work but if they jam up again take them to a machine shop. If you are using portals remove them as the shop will probably heat them. Another option is to see if you can get a glue on boot from SuperATV and just replace the boot. Harbor Freight or you local tool store should have an inexpensive tool so you do not damage the ball joint when you take the nut off and gain access to the boot. That would probably be the easiest and fastest way. Not sure if that would work but worth a try and they SuperATV should know if it will fit. You can PM SuperATV on this sight or just give them a call. Keep us posted and let us know how it works out. Note: if you do not have portals they should come out without the problems I ran into.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts