Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Starting to plan for a fall 2022 trip. My wife and I would like to venture east later this year for a week or two trip and spend a few days or so at each of these possible locations. Never having been to this area, I am hoping for suggestions/ recommendations on places to ride, how much time to spend at each place, and what to expect trail wise. For instance, in two full days of riding would we cover most of the trails of interest at Wildcat, or would you suggest more or less days to spend riding there? How would you describe the trails? I have watched a few YouTube videos for these locations but would like to hear your individual likes/ dislikes and trail recommendations. Also, any Avenza maps you would recommend using at these trails would be great.

The wife and I are located in southeast Texas. We bought a Talon back in 2019 and enjoy getting away a couple times a year to ride mountain trails and moderate rock crawling. We have no interest in mud parks or snorkel gear. Don't get me wrong, not saying there is anything wrong with muddin' if that's your bag. It's just not for me. After 51 years in the coastal plains of Texas with nothing but mud and flat trails, I do not enjoy it and will avoid mud if at all possible. Love shallow creek crossings, mountain trails and rocks, just not mud pits for the sake of going deep and getting nasty.

Is there any interest in putting together a Talon group ride somewhere?

Thank you for any input.
Water Water resources Plant Car Tire

·
Registered
2021 Talon X4, 32" BFG's and two car seats
51 Posts
Hello all! Starting to plan for a fall 2022 trip. My wife and I would like to venture east later this year for a week or two trip and spend a few days or so at each of these possible locations. Never having been to this area, I am hoping for suggestions/ recommendations on places to ride, how much time to spend at each place, and what to expect trail wise. For instance, in two full days of riding would we cover most of the trails of interest at Wildcat, or would you suggest more or less days to spend riding there? How would you describe the trails? I have watched a few YouTube videos for these locations but would like to hear your individual likes/ dislikes and trail recommendations. Also, any Avenza maps you would recommend using at these trails would be great.

The wife and I are located in southeast Texas. We bought a Talon back in 2019 and enjoy getting away a couple times a year to ride mountain trails and moderate rock crawling. We have no interest in mud parks or snorkel gear. Don't get me wrong, not saying there is anything wrong with muddin' if that's your bag. It's just not for me. After 51 years in the coastal plains of Texas with nothing but mud and flat trails, I do not enjoy it and will avoid mud if at all possible. Love shallow creek crossings, mountain trails and rocks, just not mud pits for the sake of going deep and getting nasty.

Is there any interest in putting together a Talon group ride somewhere?

Thank you for any input.
View attachment 3606
If you are ever in southern Utah, I HIGHLY recommend Sand Hollow OHV Area. They park itself contains trails ranging from extreme crawling to moderate crawling to gentle scenic trails that lead to overlooks of the southern Utah landscape. There are lightyears of trails outside of the park in the surrounding area. You could spend a week here and only scratch the surface of exploring the area.
The Sand Hollow Sate Park campsite is great too. Sites are widely spaced with full hookups.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I concur, Jon! Appreciate the awesome suggestion. So much ground to cover and so little time! We hauled out to Utah back in November and spent several days riding all over Kanab, including Corral Pink and then spent a few days in Sand Hollow before heading to Moab. We had a great time. We really enjoy off-roading and exploring new places. Looking east for our next haul though. Just not sure where to set our sights for. Thanks again for the great feedback.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think you will really like East Tennessee! We mostly ride that area. You could pretty much stay around Pioneer Tennessee and get to a lot of the trail systems. Ride Royal Blue, Brimstone, Windrock, and Tackett Creek (and trails just all over) are all close enough that you could ride your machine from where you are staying to each place (yea there will be road riding to get to those but its not bad imo). You have pretty much every type of riding except sand around. There is some mud and I try to avoid it also, but on a rain day its hard to not get muddy even if its not in a mud hole. Difficulty ranges from easy to you better know what you are doing and have a machine capable to do it. Most have a bypass if you don't want to attempt it. Awesome views, lots of waterfalls and caves to see. We love it there!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great information, thank you! I'll look into Tackett Creek and Windrock trails also. I'll see what options there may be for RV campgrounds w/ full hookups around Pioneer. Ideally it would be nice to set up the RV at one location and then spend a week or so planning excursions from there.

Does Tennessee enforce any special requirements for operating utvs on the road? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Great information, thank you! I'll look into Tackett Creek and Windrock trails also. I'll see what options there may be for RV campgrounds w/ full hookups around Pioneer. Ideally it would be nice to set up the RV at one location and then spend a week or so planning excursions from there.

Does Tennessee enforce any special requirements for operating utvs on the road? Thanks so much.
Windrock and Brimstone are a pretty good hike...there are plenty of campgrounds with full hookups. If I was going to hit windrock for multiple days and get around it I would stay closer to it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the feedback as it is very helpful. Sounds like first stop may be to spend several days exploring Royal Blue and Brimstone. I'll check out some you tube videos on Windrock to try to learn more. I do enjoy moderate rock crawling, but not set up for anything extreme. I will also add that my wife doesn't love sketchy, so I have to find a happy medium that keeps us both entertained and her not scared to death! May be worth at least a day excursion to check it out or relocating the RV for a couple days. I do have a rack system which enables me to load the Talon on my truck for transporting to trail heads once I drop the RV. This allows me a little more flexibility. Look forward to visiting the area for sure!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.