Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both the 1000X and 1000R will be using the same 999cc parallel-twin engine. This is provide around 104hp and allow you to reach speeds in excess of 70mph. Honda has yet to detail what the torque is, but I would imagine it will be more than adequate.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Both models sound fantastic from the early previews that I've seen. If you want it just a touch louder, there will probably be some aftermarket pipes that hit the market shortly after launch.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Can't wait for Honda to eventually work in an electric powertrain. While it might not have the character profile of a gasoline engine, it does deliver more torque and power, faster than any gasoline powertrain.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are already reports that the Pioneer will be getting an electric variant in 2020. Haven't been all that impressed with the numbers from existing electric sxs's though. I think the Textron Prowler gets like 20 miles of range.

·
Registered
129 Posts
There are already reports that the Pioneer will be getting an electric variant in 2020. Haven't been all that impressed with the numbers from existing electric sxs's though. I think the Textron Prowler gets like 20 miles of range.
Never realized Honda was that serious and it turns out they are lol.
So much to the extend that the battery packs the Pioneer uses, work in other non-ATV/UTV applications.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hmm swappable battery packs sounds like a neat idea. A good workaround for the range limitations of these smaller units. While a hybrid setup could be cool for the Talon I worry what that would mean for maintenance.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hmm swappable battery packs sounds like a neat idea. A good workaround for the range limitations of these smaller units. While a hybrid setup could be cool for the Talon I worry what that would mean for maintenance.
electric systems are far more simple and require less maintenance intervals

·
Registered
46 Posts
Routine maintenance may be less, but how much work can you do yourself on a hybrid powertrain? I'm not all that familiar with them and I think most owners like to do simple upkeep themselves.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ultimately Honda will have to decide what's better for the brands bottom line.

Giving owner the knowledge they need to service these may be the solution to ensure sales.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I expect that the Talon will come with a very thorough owner and service manual. Most of the routine upkeep should be more than manageable on your own, so long as they don't require specialized tools. Anyone planning on running synthetic?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I expect that the Talon will come with a very thorough owner and service manual. Most of the routine upkeep should be more than manageable on your own, so long as they don't require specialized tools. Anyone planning on running synthetic?
That reminds me of the Pioneer's manual that had hundreds of pages of useful information which is insane for what's a relatively simple vehicle. Its not like this is some complex road legal passenger vehicle.
Social media also makes it super easy to reach out to other owners if you need info not found in the manual, most are willing to help.

·
Registered
66 Posts
YouTube continues to be an excellent place to find walkthroughs and guides if you find the written instructions to be insufficient. Not only do they cover maintenance and repairs, but often there are detailed overviews of installing aftermarket kits and parts as well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah, even fundamental knowledge on various Honda systems can help along with side-by-side and ATV's in general. Of course at that point it will take up more time but a solution nonetheless.
However that's why i'm here, some of the more mechanically inclined will post talon specific DIY's and how-to's.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't look for any manufacturer to come to the table any time soon with a electric drivetrain let alone a hybrid in the sport side by side market. Weight would be a big obstacle to overcome along with mass centralization. Plus all the elements dirt, dust, mud, rocks, sand and water being a constant problem for longevity and battery life. UTV's don't have a stable constant environment to operate in like a pedestrian car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts