Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm a new member here, and i am looking forward to purchasing a new 2022 4 seat live valve , but I was wandering how well the 4 seater does on tight trails/blm roads etc? I live in oregon. I would very much appreciate any advice you may have on tight trails with a 4 seater

Thank you guys:)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hi guys, I'm a new member here, and i am looking forward to purchasing a new 2022 4 seat live valve , but I was wandering how well the 4 seater does on tight trails/blm roads etc? I live in oregon. I would very much appreciate any advice you may have on tight trails with a 4 seater

Get used to making a lot of 3, 5 and even 7 point turns.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
173 Posts
My brother in law has a 4 seater and I have a 2 seater. We ride lots of very narrow highly technical old mining roads, I don't particularly notice him having to make multi-point turns. Even if he had to, I don't think it would be any kind of deal breaker as far as purchasing goes.

·
Registered
349 Posts
depends on what you want and where you ride, for me, NE PA, machine barely ever gets over 3rd gear on the trails where I ride, I don't rock crawl, I don't need more travel, I need better and smoother suspension - doesn't mean the R won't work, for me, I just didn't see the need to spend the additional cash, enjoy a tighter turning radius, fits between some very close trees that the wider machine take the bark off of, etc.

where I can open it up, the speed is determined by the size of the rocks embedded in the hard pack and how fast you want to hit them. conversely the wide open haul roads don't require a lot of suspension travel

it is interesting how an $18K 100HP X can keep up with a $25K+ turbo 200HP canned ham and have to stop and push them over the sharp humps or wait for the 3 point turns - I just can't beat them in a drag race

·
Registered
183 Posts
We live in the mountains in NE Oregon and ride the mountain trails, logging roads, etc. Never had to do a 3-pt turn yet (knock on wood) but I doubt it would have been a deal breaker for us. Some of our riding friends have a Polaris General 4 seater and they have never had to do a 3 point turn either. Now I can think of some trails where there would be a road/trail taking off the main road/route at a sharp angle that might require a 3-pt turn if we were inclined to go down that trail. But as far as being a deal breaker? NO, not a deal breaker! And we ride roads from 1,000 ft elevation up to 6,500 ft elevations, with lots of rocks, washouts, etc. Only drug the bottom of the Talon X4 once on a basically washed out water bar accross the road.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for you input, one more thing, any word on the 2022 models?? I talked with the dealer in coosbay oregon, 2 mouths ago, and he's thinking December. Maybe,
Thanks again:)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Our local Honda/Yamaha dealer tells folks around here that basically when Honda has enough parts to build a machine that is on the dealer's wish list, they call the dealer and ask them if they still want it. The problem is, there is no time frame for when they collect all those parts to make the machine. It might sit for a long time waiting for an outside vendor to get the one small part shipped to Honda so they can finish the machine. It's basically a crap shoot when ordering or looking for a machine!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Where about in Oregon? We bought ours in Coos Bay also. Something to consider to help with turning radius is some forward offset a-arms, these will also get you into 32” tires with little rubbing. I did not install the steering limiters and am able to turn the tires a lot further now. Just remember not to bury your foot in the pedal with them turned at that extreme an angle or bad things are likely to happen to your cv joints. We’re running the 2 seater, but the steering and suspension are similar on both X’s.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where about in Oregon? We bought ours in Coos Bay also. Something to consider to help with turning radius is some forward offset a-arms, these will also get you into 32” tires with little rubbing. I did not install the steering limiters and am able to turn the tires a lot further now. Just remember not to bury your foot in the pedal with them turned at that extreme an angle or bad things are likely to happen to your cv joints. We’re running the 2 seater, but the steering and suspension are similar on both X’s.
Hi tooltime406. I'm in roseburg, been talking with Derrick last few months over at honda world. Thanks for the info on the offset. I'm also wandering if I put bigger tires on, will I have any issues with the transmission etc, ? Thanks again for the info :):)

·
Registered
72 Posts

I live in Washington state and have had my 1000X-4 on some pretty tight trails up around Mt Rainier and the machine did wonderfully. The only time I had a turning radius issue was when we pulled off the trail to let others pass that were going the other way and I was limited (space-wise) getting back on the trail. I did a 3pt turn so I wasn't dragging on logs that bordered both side. Are there others that turn tighter? Of course, but I think that you'll find that turning radius is almost a non-issue.

as far as the trans strength is concerned I think it comes down to the driver - if your not reasonable with the machines capabilities and you like to push it beyond what you should be doing and you can probably do a lot of damage - but, if you are reasonable and pay attention to whats going on around you and I am pretty sure you'll be fine. That would be advice for all machines, some people will find a way to break the equipment no matter how robust the design and no matter how well its designed and made. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
59 Posts

My experience with a 4 seat live valve, riding with other side by side vehicle my Honda is good for narrow spots, competition does not seem better in tight situations, but I have never drive a 2 seater Honda..my thinking good in tight rocks but the 4 seater is the only one I would buy..good luck,, I also changed stock dealer tires to 30 inch, road approved tires, I used 1.5" rear spacers giving me standard stock width.

·
Registered
7 Posts

G&C Honda in Shreveport Louisiana has a couple 4 seat x live valve in stock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.