Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running 30 or 32” tires? I ruined one of my stock ones this weekend and have been wanting to go up in size. I didn’t know if bigger or heavier tires would be hard on the transmission. I do climb some big and rocky hills.
Also am thinking about putting in an accessory battery. I’m running 6 rock lights, two 3’ light whips and a sound bar. The stock battery seems to power it all fine but is another battery necessary? Thanks guys

·
Registered
2020 1000X-4
22 Posts
With the stock live valve suspension they do rub a little when cranked all the way left or right in a little compression. Nothing that’s worried me thus far. I have rokbloks too so that thickens the wheel well a little.

·
Registered
2020 1000X-4
22 Posts
My buddy has 30”s and is very happy with them too. You should know the offset on the rims is different front versus back, so either get a 6+1 offset wheel and spare for all 5 and a 1.5” wheel spacer for the rear, or you match the wheel offset and get a extra front wheel and tire to use as a spare. At least then you can use it on the rear and it will get you home.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome thanks for the quick reply’s. I will do a little more thinking on it but I’m afraid if I get 30’s I’ll just regret not getting the 32’s 😂. I have a guy selling some slightly used 32’s for cheap pretty close to me I might buy to test them out before pulling the trigger on a new set. I appreciate the help

·
Registered
58 Posts
My Talon X4 LV came with 14x7 Raceline Mamba beadlocks, 5+2, with 30x10x14 RipSaws from the dealership. Its a great setup for where I ride and I love the tires. I just pulled those tires and put 32x10x14 Rockabillys on tonight. I love how the bigger tires look. It looks like it should have come with 32s. I dont think ill have rubbing issues at all and the Rockabillys measure 31.5" on my wheels.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
I picked up a set of 4 HDs Bead locks (15 ") with STI tractor like treads (30 Inch) for my better half's ride. 4 x 137mm New the wheels were $560 and the tires were over $950 used price was $600
from a friend. I cleaned them up, repaired a couple of scratches and repainted the bead lock rings. They are on a Kawasaki but also fit Talons. Just an example of what is out there in the used market.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just put on 32" Mongrals, no rubbing, but I also put on the SuperATV high clearance A-Arms, otherwise they would have rubbed (it is that close). Only once did I see an issue with the power on a hill and I think that was more me not pushing the gas enough early before hitting the hill, otherwise it handled everything I threw at it in TN for 3 days with no issues and got me through some places my stocks did not get me through 2 months ago (and no flats like I had in my stock). I have an X4

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is anyone running 30 or 32” tires? I ruined one of my stock ones this weekend and have been wanting to go up in size. I didn’t know if bigger or heavier tires would be hard on the transmission. I do climb some big and rocky hills.
Also am thinking about putting in an accessory battery. I’m running 6 rock lights, two 3’ light whips and a sound bar. The stock battery seems to power it all fine but is another battery necessary? Thanks guys
I have 34" on my 1000x and my wife has 34" on her 1000R for the R it's no problem with 34" but for the X I had to buy after market A arms that are 1-1/2" forward to get the 34" to fit and if I make a really deep left turn they still rub a tiny bit but other than that no problems at all as for the battery I have the sound system and a winch and 2 light bars and it doesn't seem to bother the factory battery as it is you generally are running when listening to the radio or using the winch anyway so you should be fine without an extra battery unless you stop and chill with the engine off listening to music at night with the lights on for long periods of time

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm running a 1000 R with 32" Terrabites on 5.2 rims, no rubbing problems. Now 72" wide, love the ground clearance and stability, turning radius has suffered a bit, but I can live with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have 32's and love them except they really slow the machine down. This has been demonstrated numerically many times on Youtube.
I have the the turbo now and are back up to speed. Just be aware it is a dramatic loss in perceived power over stock.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I run STI comps 30” with the STI comp wheels. I haven’t lost any power and they have did great on the rocks and in mud.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 32 on 1000R You will love them on everything except in very rough and steep rock crawling. It to high gear for that. It takes a football field to turn around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2019 talon x - I kept getting flats on my stock tires so i went with 30x10x15 - tusk terrabite aramid 10 ply. They fit great on the stock wheels. No rubbing - great wear, handle hard pack and rocks much better than stock. Also decent in the mud. I do notice alittle less power if i let the rpm drop, may be due to the heavier tire or the fact im getting traction, regardless- non issue, plenty of power/ drivetrain, shifts perfect with 30" tires

·
Registered
23 Posts
  • Had 35" OL 3's originally
    now running 38" OL3'S with shocks cranked up about 2" from stock settings

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm running new 32" beadlocks on superATV heavy duty High clearance A Arms. I also upgraded my axles to Rhino heavy duty. HUGE clearance and terrific ride.

·
Registered
2020 1000X-4
22 Posts
Awesome thanks for the quick reply’s. I will do a little more thinking on it but I’m afraid if I get 30’s I’ll just regret not getting the 32’s 😂. I have a guy selling some slightly used 32’s for cheap pretty close to me I might buy to test them out before pulling the trigger on a new set. I appreciate the help
Here's a pick of those 32's.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts