Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Love my IBolt mount with Lenovo 11” tablet running BobT maps on Orux.

I’ve had numerous Ram mounts and this cheap mount placed on passenger grab handle beats them all.

iBOLT TabDock Bizmount AMPs - Heavy Duty Drill Base Mount for All 7" - 10" Tablets ( iPad , Samsung Tab ) for Cars, Desks, Countertops: Great for Commercial Vehicles, Trucks, Schools, and Businesses https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BKPC4K8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_A0NDWPGWDMG35M8FN3WQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just bought tablet last week waiting on couple different ram mounts. Got one for grab bar an also one for top bar mount it on passenger side let it come over on the mirror some not seen it yet but I think that will work out best out the way. As for east east coast everyone runs lifetime maps an very accurate.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What tablet and mount are y’all using and with what map software? I hear Lifetime trail maps is the best. Any opinions appreciated.
I bought a Samsung tablet for use with Gaia software on a RAM mount. VERY disappointed with Android (how can people use this crap)

I recommend Ipad with with a RAM mounted to the grab-bar.

·
Registered
391 Posts
RAM mount is sturdy and works great.
My Samsung tablet navigates anywhere because it is not reliant on cell service. Always works everywhere perfectly.
My iPad doesn't navigate without cell service so it is completely useless most of the time (how can people use this crap)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use Lifetime Trail maps and it works great, but it only works on a Samsung tablet. I used to use a Ram mount but recently watched a YouTube video of this magnetic mounting system. I haven't been out to the trails to test it but what little riding I've done around the house it doesn't move.
Hood Speedometer Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am confused on the Apple issue. Works fine, works without cell, works. There is no magic to the OS. It is the apps. Google Maps, Alltrails, etc work with no cell. Just like other apps if you don’t have your route saved and you want to build new one with no cell…well you better have the map and the route ready to go.

I use both iPhone or iPad and also TRX7 from Magellan, which is an android based tablet custom solution. Neither is perfect, both are functional. And Ram mounts are great, usually you have to play around with the ram accessories to find the right fit.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I am confused on the Apple issue. Works fine, works without cell, works. There is no magic to the OS. It is the apps. Google Maps, Alltrails, etc work with no cell. Just like other apps if you don’t have your route saved and you want to build new one with no cell…well you better have the map and the route ready to go.

I use both iPhone or iPad and also TRX7 from Magellan, which is an android based tablet custom solution. Neither is perfect, both are functional. And Ram mounts are great, usually you have to play around with the ram accessories to find the right fit.
It's not the OS, it is the hardware. Until recently, most iPads did not have very good GPS (wifi only models didn't have any GPS) and need cell and/or wifi for location. Some of the newer iPads now come with better GPS and will function without cell service but their accuracy can be questionable.

As noted by others, Samsung has the best, most reliable and most accurate GPS. Cell service helps it determine location a little faster but not necessary. Once it hones in, my Samsung tablet is accurate within a few feet regardless of cell service. Right now inside my house, my Samsung tablet sees 20 GPS satellites and has strong enough signals to connect to 19 of them and is accurate within 5 feet. In the middle of nowhere, the reception is very similar.

iPad devices are hit and miss. Sometimes they are accurate, sometimes not and sometimes they don't work at all. Not what I want when lost in the middle of nowhere :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
GPS only is available with cellular on iPads, that doesn’t mean it only works when connected to cellular, it just means they only include the GPS chipset in the higher priced product. I personally have never had an accuracy problem with an iPad GPS or an iPhone.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Apple iPhone with GAIA and ONX (and others). Download GAIA map. Download ONX map. Works fine with no cell coverage. Done, and accurate.

Don't know about how my iPad would work, but for me personally the extra complexity of mounting and powering a tablet that could be damaged on the trail or in a water crossing, etc. is just not necessary. The iPhone has always worked great, including for hundreds of miles in the remotest of Baja Sur backcountry in places like Bahia Magdalena, Tembabichi, El Mangle, the Agua Verde Back Door, Punta Evaristo and many points in between.
Cloud Sky Water Plant Mountain
Cloud Water Sky Water resources Natural landscape
Plant Sky Cloud Plant community Ecoregion
Sky Bedrock Cloud Geological phenomenon Formation

1 - 19 of 19 Posts