Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lightly used 2020 Talon 1000X4. If I let it sit for a week or so, the battery runs down and I have to jump it. Is this normal? I can't get a good answer from my dealer in Tn. I see the stock battery is only a 70 amp hr unit. Per the specs the Talon draws 0.25a sitting there turned off. If I am correct, by my calculations that is 6amps per day, so around day 12, the battery is dead. This appears to be a true fact. Originally I thought this was a problem, but now I wonder if it is a ' feature' of the unit.

I am looking to see if I can install a second battery, probably a Marine duty unit somewhere on it. Am I the only one with this issue? Overall we love the unit on our farm in Tn. Thanks, Bill

· Registered
402 Posts
I have a lightly used 2020 Talon 1000X4. If I let it sit for a week or so, the battery runs down and I have to jump it. Is this normal? I can't get a good answer from my dealer in Tn. I see the stock battery is only a 70 amp hr unit. Per the specs the Talon draws 0.25a sitting there turned off. If I am correct, by my calculations that is 6amps per day, so around day 12, the battery is dead. This appears to be a true fact. Originally I thought this was a problem, but now I wonder if it is a ' feature' of the unit.

I am looking to see if I can install a second battery, probably a Marine duty unit somewhere on it. Am I the only one with this issue? Overall we love the unit on our farm in Tn. Thanks, Bill
That is not normal. Mine has sat for weeks and starts up. Cranks slow but starts and I have never had a dead battery.

The battery is not 70ah, it is 20. I just put a meter across mine and it draws 5 milliamps (.005 amps).

· Registered
368 Posts
your math would be correct if it was. a 70AH battery

put meter in series on amps in battery negative and see what you got, disconnect accessories one a time if you have them until you see the reading close to what Paul measured - I an guessing the clock in the display may be using a little juice and thats about it unless the talon brain has a few memory registers that need some power.

or you may have a ground somewhere draining battery, I think some of the 4 seaters had a problem between the seats with the harness rubbing.

my machine sits for months at a time, I keep it and every other toy, garden tractor, etc, on a battery tender 100% of the time, just started talon the other day in 5 degree weather for the first time in 3+months, started right up.

· Registered
59 Posts
My unit has sat for a couple weeks and always starts. As a precaution I now keep it plugged into a trickle charger when not in use and I also installed a second battery. The second battery can be installed using the many aftermarket options for under $300. We can help with this if need be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.