Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1000 X
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best 200 bucks I ever spent! Like many, I found the Talon stock suspension too stiff for slow speed riding over rough trails we mostly find here in the southeast. Not much out there for us live valve 2 seater Talon owners looking for a less harsh ride either...pony up $1000 to $2000+ to revalve shocks and/or fully respring your machine or, for a couple hundred bucks, give the Bandit Tender Spring kit a try. Not wanting to park my machine on blocks for several weeks to ship my shocks and springs off for a rebuild, I decided to give Bandit a try. After all it was much cheaper, was something I could do myself in a few hours and has many positive reviews from others who installed them. So glad I did...man did it improve the ride. I'm just a consumer, not in any way connected with Bandit other than being a happy customer. BTW, their product didn't come with any instructions and the ones on their site are specific to 1000R's which are different from 1000X's.

On the X 2 seater, you will need to compress the springs a bit (about an inch) to remove the locking collar even with the spanners spun all the way out (preload on my rears was 3/4" so not much to work with). Also specific to the X is the Bandit replacement spring is about an inch longer than the stock tenders (5" stock - 6" Bandits) so will require some compressing in order to reassemble. All required compression was doable with a ratchet strap. Forced to guess, I went with 3/4" preload on the Bandits and figured I'd adjust from there. So far, all is good and the ride is dramatically improved. No more coil bind at rest...my rear tender springs came coil bound from the factory...might as well have been spacers. It's up in the air now resting on tender springs that are available to cushion the ride and man what a difference.

·
Registered
246 Posts
what is your ride height before and after, I did the bandit springs on my X and adjusted to their paperwork and ride is still terribly harsh but I did pick up rice height.

you have a pic on f front and rear installed? 3/4” of preload is what you have adjuster ring set to?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Talon X
63 Posts
what is your ride height before and after, I did the bandit springs on my X and adjusted to their paperwork and ride is still terribly harsh but I did pick up rice height.

you have a pic on f front and rear installed? 3/4” of preload is what you have adjuster ring set to?
Mine did the same thing. Rode HORRIBLE stock, I put bandit tenders on at recommended pre-load, still rode like shit. Messed around with preload and it's much better. I forget exactly what I used, but i'll measure it tonight.

·
Registered
2021 1000 X
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That'd be great McCarthy. I may fiddle a bit more with my fronts.

19PSU88 - Sorry, no pics..it was 100*F and 86% humidity when I installed so rushed to get back inside. I did take measurements though...

Both rears were coil-bound from factory with 7/8" factory preload as measured from LV mount to locking spanner nut. Both fronts had 2.5" preload from factory placing them within an inch of full coil-bind so useless.

All 4 bandit tender springs had to be compressed 1.5" in order to reinstall the rings that lock the shock /springs assembly back together. Per my understanding of Bandit instructions, that counts as 1.5" pre-load before the spanner nuts have been tightened any at all. (Same amount occurred on all 4 shocks).

From that point, I added another 3/8" preload to both front shocks... at rest the Bandit front tenders are 6" long. Installed on shocks with my preload, each was compressed to 5 5/8" and the measure from LV mount to set spanner nut was 3/4". I'm almost certain to increase preload on front shocks 1/4" at a time to see the effect. Before turning a wrench, my front clearance was 13 3/8"; after Bandit install it increased to 13 3/4" so just over 1/2" gain on front. My understanding is that more preload would increase this gain and that the front needs to be an inch higher than the rear.

On the rears, I did these first and simply took the factory preload setting of 7/8" (measured from LV mount to set spanner nut) and softened it to 1/2" as a starting point which left 5 threads show above the set spanners. It was/is the rear bandit tenders that made the dramatic improvement over the coilbound factory tenders on my ride.

Hope this helps. Btw, I'm no shock guy or spring guy or suspension guy... just what I did and it helped.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I do not have LV on my 2 seater X but if I understand you correctly about your settings/measurements it’s way different from mine or others I know who have put bandit tenders on theirs. Maybe you cracked a code…..

·
Registered
2021 1000 X
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Budcon - Blind hog found an acorn if I cracked a code 'cause I knew nothing about suspension when I started. Been reading all I can find and still feel lost on the subject.

Here's where I'm at right now...still adjusting. I should have gained clearance but actually I lost about an inch on the front from stock numbers. Honda lists stock ground clearance as 14.5" on the stock 28" tires. I run 30" Mongrels all 4 corners so shouldn't I expect 15.5" minimum? Wrenching down to achieve ground clearance should have been step 1 on the install. Step 2 is time to worry about preload. So, my approach was backwards given what I've read. Will see how ride is affected after I ratchet down preload to increase ground clearance.

Next, Bandit tenders for R's and X's are quite a bit different. Rec you watch Terry's video on Youtube for R install. He's on this forum as well and will respond to your questions, at least he did mine and seems a good guy..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood. I am thinking you said you measured I believe an inch from mount to top of tender spring. Actually Terry’s video says 4 if I’m not mistaken.. please correct me if I’m wrong terry.

Oh yeA…p.S. GO DOGS!!! Lol

·
Registered
2021 1000 X
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If memory serves, I think Terry said 4" on front and 5" back. Uncompressed, the Bandit tenders I received for the X2 measured 6 to 6 1/8th inches each. I thought maybe they'd sent me the wrong springs after watching his video till he clarified his is the R model which takes, I think, 4 and 5 inch Bandit tenders. At any rate, his installed without requiring and compression and, in fact, he had plenty of room to screw his spanner nuts down several inches before making contact with the springs. Mine didn't on the X. Each required about 1 1/2" compression for me to get both spanner nuts and the locking mechanism back on. Starting from there, shock assembled no threads showing on shock body, I screwed down till I had 5 threads showing and put them back on my X and rode it hard over known terrain. Ride improved dramatically but I lost clearance and had front sitting lower than the back. I actually lost so much clearance on front it sat an inch lower than Honda specs on 28" factory tires/rims. Running 30" mongrel tires should set me an inch over stock clearance. So, I'm leaving the back alone for now and am adding another 2" preload to the front to bring front up to where front clearance measures 1/2" to 1" higher than back clearance and see the resulting ride.

Going in, I expected Bandit would include instructions specifying how much to spin the spanners down. They don't and they won't...referred me to their website for instructions which are for the R. Given that, I've researched, experimented and spent way too much time in this Alabama heat adjusting preload, clearance and ride. It's a better ride for sure without 2 coil bound rear shocks but it's also a lot of tinkering to get right. I'll post final settings assuming I ever reach them and I'll gladly share as I go along.

Liking Kirby and them Dawgs but RTR baby!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Please do. I have had mine on for about a year now and the ride is somewhat better. I would love to see a pic of your also. Man I hope I haven’t had them adjusted wrong this whole time that would suck🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️. At any rate, you in South Al or North Al? The only place I practically ride is Indian mtn & Top Trails. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think you guys are trying to compare Live Valve to non Live Valve and the springs (and any corresponding measurements) are not going to be the same. The LV main springs are longer and I believe that the LV has crossovers (at least on the rear) so these 2 suspensions are completely different.

This is why @rsrolltide's LV measurements are so different than some of you with a standard X.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have a NLV X.

The settings I used were with the bandit paperwork, I picked up I think 3/4” ground clearance and ride is still terribly harsh.

I’m no suspension guru, seems like back off on the preload and sacrifice ground clearance to soften it up.

Comes down to have to throw money at it to get both. Hope I’m wrong, If there is a compromise to stay at stock ride height and soften it up - send your preload measurements.

I gave up after throwing 2 Benjamin’s at it and not getting anything IMO.

Hope I can learn something here.

·
Registered
50 Posts
19PSU88, I really have to agree. I also spent 200$ a year ago with, IMO, very little change. I did however call one of the suspension co about 3 months ago and they told me for 750$ they GUARANTEE a whole different ride but if it came out not to be true I’m out a grand with no change….

·
Registered
2021 1000 X
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Please do. I have had mine on for about a year now and the ride is somewhat better. I would love to see a pic of your also. Man I hope I haven’t had them adjusted wrong this whole time that would suck🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️. At any rate, you in South Al or North Al? The only place I practically ride is Indian mtn & Top Trails. Thanks for your input!
I'm in Walker County, nw AL. Usually ride Stoney Lonesome. Maybe you could show me Indian Mtn sometime. Been meaning to ride it ever since it opened.

·
Registered
2021 1000 X
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a NLV X.

The settings I used were with the bandit paperwork, I picked up I think 3/4” ground clearance and ride is still terribly harsh.

I’m no suspension guru, seems like back off on the preload and sacrifice ground clearance to soften it up.

Comes down to have to throw money at it to get both. Hope I’m wrong, If there is a compromise to stay at stock ride height and soften it up - send your preload measurements.

I gave up after throwing 2 Benjamin’s at it and not getting anything IMO.

Hope I can learn something here.
19PSU88 - You got paperwork with yours? All I got was 4 springs and a Bandit sticker.

·
Registered
2021 1000 X
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think you guys are trying to compare Live Valve to non Live Valve and the springs (and any corresponding measurements) are not going to be the same. The LV main springs are longer and I believe that the LV has crossovers (at least on the rear) so these 2 suspensions are completely different.

This is why @rsrolltide's LV measurements are so different than some of you with a standard X.
PaulF - I've read enough of your posts to respect your opinion. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
50 Posts
RSrolltide, Absolutely man! I’ll show you around Indian mtn only if you show me around Stoney Lonesome! Lol jk I’ve been wanting to go to st lonesome for a longtime but haven’t done it yet. Instant Measage me and we will get each other’s info and plan a trip. I live 4 miles from Al line in North Ga. 8 miles from Indian mtn.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts