Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Saw some post and videos on installing a tablet, with gps capabilities and using it as both GPS and a backup camera.

I found a good camera I want to use, however what other pieces do I need? I understand I need a wireless transmitter? What else if anything?

I see audio and video cables on those, assuming they aren't used and it's all wireless?

If anyone has done this setup, can you link me with what you used and your thoughts etc if you're happy with it.

I already have a nexus 7 tablet with gps capabilities which I plan to mount with a ram mount. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have done this using the camera and transmitter listed below. The camera and transmitter will need 12 volt power and the camera is connected to the transmitter via a wire. The transmitter acts like a wifi hotspot that my table connects wirelessly. The transmitter instructions provide info for the software you need to load on the tablet or smartphone

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have done this using the camera and transmitter listed below. The camera and transmitter will need 12 volt power and the camera is connected to the transmitter via a wire. The transmitter acts like a wifi hotspot that my table connects wirelessly. The transmitter instructions provide info for the software you need to load on the tablet or smartphone

Exactly what I needed, thank you! Are you happy with it? Anything you'd change?

When you say 12v, it needs plugged in to the 12v adapter in the car or can I tap into a hot wire that goes to the battery?

·
Registered
91 Posts
take for what it is worth, but if you use 2nd monitor for backup camera, you can use it continuously to see who / what is behind you on trail (like extra rear view mirror incase your spare blocks center mirror like mine). When I tried the wireless route with the camera being powered with signal from reverse signal & picture on laptop, I had a lag with both it coming on & the actual signal o screen. It was a few years back, so stuff may be better now. If you use something like below that is wired, you only need to get power from the front (rear camera is powered thru the cable you run for video). You can run wireless using the provided stuff (skipping the cable), but would need power from rear that you can probably steal from rear lighting. I have my monitor mounted to the cage bar where uyou would put center mirror. The camera is waterproof but I bag the monitor when power washing the car (i have not clue if wireless transmitter or recever are waterproof). Been using this unit for several years no issues. If you put the provided plate on bottom of camera, it stays pretty clean from mud & dust. I use same system on my enclosed trailer when towing too (with additional cables).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
take for what it is worth, but if you use 2nd monitor for backup camera, you can use it continuously to see who / what is behind you on trail (like extra rear view mirror incase your spare blocks center mirror like mine). When I tried the wireless route with the camera being powered with signal from reverse signal & picture on laptop, I had a lag with both it coming on & the actual signal o screen. It was a few years back, so stuff may be better now. If you use something like below that is wired, you only need to get power from the front (rear camera is powered thru the cable you run for video). You can run wireless using the provided stuff (skipping the cable), but would need power from rear that you can probably steal from rear lighting. I have my monitor mounted to the cage bar where uyou would put center mirror. The camera is waterproof but I bag the monitor when power washing the car (i have not clue if wireless transmitter or recever are waterproof). Been using this unit for several years no issues. If you put the provided plate on bottom of camera, it stays pretty clean from mud & dust. I use same system on my enclosed trailer when towing too (with additional cables).

This is a good idea, this is what I originally wanted to do, use it as a back/rear view camera.

Are you happy with the quality of the camera and the monitor?

Is the monitor nice and crisp and easy to mount?

·
Registered
2020 Talon X4 Live Valve
35 Posts
I went the separate monitor route with a switch that I can turn on and off. I will say that I am pretty happy with it. I am glad I don't use it off the tablet because I find we leave it on allot of the day and this way I can always see what's going on behind me and see the navigation. We just got a kit off amazon and I also put a bag over the monitor when I wash it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mounted mine last night, just finishing the wiring tonight or tomorrow. Happy I went this route it'll be great to have visibility out back all the time. The pics attached are just roughed in, still have some finalizing/wiring to do. She's solid and doesn't move once tightened down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts