Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Any light truck tire (like the BFG KM3) will give you the best wear on asphalt in exchange for some traction. These will be the hardest rubber compound and will last quite a long time.

There are some DOT legal UTV tires (like the Tusk Terrabite) that are middle of the road compromise with decent traction and wear. These are a medium compound and you should get a few thousand miles out of them.

Any purpose built tire (like the Rockzilla) will wear fastest on pavement. These tend to have the softest compounds and will wear out fast if used on asphalt.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Kind of thought that would be the case. Actually looking into the terrabites, seem like one of the better choices as far as all around goes. Thanks for your $.02
Personally, I run the Aramid Terrabites and I like them as a good compromise. Decent street tire at 16 PSI and you can air them down to 5 or 6 and they are pretty good rock crawlers.

One thing you need to be aware of is they are a bitch to seal on beadlock rims. The bead bundle is too thin and they don't clamp down good enough. Mine will go completely flat within a week. They supposedly "updated" the bead for better sealing but they would not elaborate on what the update was and how it helps so I don't know if the newer ones are better or not.

The new Tusk MegaBite is the same rubber compound as the Terrabite, just more open tread pattern. They should last about as long but clean out better from mud and not throw rocks as bad. However, they are not DOT approved if that is a requirement in your state.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Those are the 10 plys correct? Im guessing that’s a tire thing not a certain brand beadlock issue?
Yes, they are rated as 10 ply. And yes, the Terrabites tend to leak on any beadlock brand except maybe the Tusk beadlocks. Most beadlocks have a 10mm clamp gap and the bead on the Terrabite is only 11mm and it doesn't squash it enough to seal properly (supposed to have 20% squash). The Tusk beadlock might have a little tighter clamp gap so they don't leak as bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Personally, I run the Aramid Terrabites and I like them as a good compromise. Decent street tire at 16 PSI and you can air them down to 5 or 6 and they are pretty good rock crawlers.

One thing you need to be aware of is they are a bitch to seal on beadlock rims. The bead bundle is too thin and they don't clamp down good enough. Mine will go completely flat within a week. They supposedly "updated" the bead for better sealing but they would not elaborate on what the update was and how it helps so I don't know if the newer ones are better or not.

The new Tusk MegaBite is the same rubber compound as the Terrabite, just more open tread pattern. They should last about as long but clean out better from mud and not throw rocks as bad. However, they are not DOT approved if that is a requirement in your state.

When your terribites get worn down, are you going with another set, or are you going to try the megabites out? Or are you going a different route

·
Registered
7 Posts
Lots of road runners in the area of WI where I'm from. Most are running the BF Goodrich KM3's. The increasing price of utv specific tires have some switching over to 15" light truck tires. Some of the lighter weight truck tires I'm seeing are BFG KO2, Goodyear Wrangler Authority, and Achilles Desert Hawk to name a few. I just mounted up a set of Kenda Klever XT's that I am looking forward to testing but not today, -23°. Good luck finding the right tire it can certainly get overwhelming.

·
Registered
402 Posts
When your terribites get worn down, are you going with another set, or are you going to try the megabites out? Or are you going a different route
Nothing wrong with the Terrabites but I will try something else. The Terrabites are a little too asphalt friendly so they are not as good on slick rock as I would like. I am considering the Megabites but only if they have truly fixed the bead issues (the Megabites use the same carcass as the Terrabites).

The compound choice is my dilemma. I need something soft and decent for rock crawling but need something for occasional (10-20%) asphalt use and the soft tires wear out fast when used (even 10%) on asphalt. For comparison, my (fairly soft) stock tires were half gone in 600 miles with my driving style.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I ride east tn mostly brimstone. Lot different types trails expect rock I try to avoid rocks it can. I don’t want any power loss as mostly ride trails an lot hills here. The efx motoclaw is also an interest of mine good looking ride an supposed to ride great.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've heard some good things about the Terra Masters on asphalt. Does anyone have experience with them. I like that they have an A and B side depending on your riding, but like @PaulF said, it's a dilemma finding that perfect medium.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Lot guys up size never have any problems tho I’m thinking 30s.
True but you stated you "didn't want to lose any power". If you go with anything heavier or bigger than stock, you will in fact lose power. The heavier and larger you go, the more power you will lose. Go too big and/or heavy and the machine won't even shift into 6th gear.

I own 2 R's and have 30's on one machine and 32's my second machine. The jump from stock to 30's is noticeable but tolerable. 32's suck a lot of power at the altitudes I normally ride (5,000-10,000 feet) but work fine below 3,000 feet. Also consider if you have a 4 seater, you will weigh a lot more when fully loaded and anything over 30" will probably rub.

Lots of variables but in general...
30's on a 4 seater, especially if you are above 3,000 feet should work fine. 32's at sea level but they will probably rub.
30's on a 2 seater if mainly above 5,000 feet.
32's on a 2 seater if mainly below 5,000 feet

·
Registered
129 Posts
I also like the terra masters. An I understand all that about the size an weight vs power. But we are also riding a Honda for a reason. Everyone I rode with has rzr an if a 900 can turn a 32 I don’t think I’d have any problems whatsoever. Even tho I’ll stick with a 30 which tho is choice.

·
Registered
368 Posts
anyone know how much the stock maxxis tires weigh? seems that data is a little elusive for me to find.

those tusk megabytes per RM weigh 34.8/35.6 so say 35.2# each.

adding rotational mass is probably the worse thing to do to ride to kill hp at the wheels, gas mileage, etc., so interesting data point from Paul with heavier tires even at 30" a felt difference in the ride.

to each his own on tire size, brand, type, bling factor, etc. - all good - I'm looking to go with the megabytes at 30", seems like a good pattern/compound/cost with a descent weight for my east coast riding.

·
Registered
402 Posts
anyone know how much the stock maxxis tires weigh? seems that data is a little elusive for me to find.

those tusk megabytes per RM weigh 34.8/35.6 so say 35.2# each.

adding rotational mass is probably the worse thing to do to ride to kill hp at the wheels, gas mileage, etc., so interesting data point from Paul with heavier tires even at 30" a felt difference in the ride.

to each his own on tire size, brand, type, bling factor, etc. - all good - I'm looking to go with the megabytes at 30", seems like a good pattern/compound/cost with a descent weight for my east coast riding.
Stock tires and wheels are very light. Someone on the other forum weighed theirs and came in at...
Front tire 23, rim 14.2 total 37.2
Rear tire 30.4, rim 14.6 total 43

Keep in mind these are slightly used so add a pound or 2 for new tires.

You will be adding 30# of rotating mass (40# if you add beadlocks). The Terrabites are about 10# heavier (12.5# with a beadlock wheel) EACH up front and you will feel that weight up front the first time you drive it, it loses a little bit of that nimble feeling it has with the stock tires. You will not notice the extra weight in the rear (other than some power loss).

I really like the Terrabite for an all around tire but would not recommend them for strictly trail riding. The tread is too square so you gain stability on pavement and rock but you lose the handling in dirt and loose terrain. If you mainly ride trails, you may want to consider a more rounded tread like the stock tread profile.

·
Registered
368 Posts
thank you Paul, you always have great data and no bs info,

its always a trade-off with all this stuff

I'm going with the 30" megabytes on stock wheels, fairly lite for a 30", look more rounded on the edges, not much road riding in PA (legally anyway), we do a couple of trips to WV each year as well and end up doing a little road riding, but overall less than 10% on asphalt......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.