Honda Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are bead lock rims really necessary...for me?

1. I am a new SxS owner living in Ohio, and got hooked on these machines by renting one down at the Hatfield McCoy trails. I don't go crazy with it, and love the trails. Intending on hitting trails in KY, WV, OH, TN.

2. Never heard of bead locks until I rented a SxS at Hatfield McCoy and saw some. My Kawasaki rental had none, but I made it through The Rock House anyway. I was absolutely amazed at the sideways pressure those tires (without bead locks) took while staying on the rims.

3. I have no idea how often these SxS tires break a bead on hard trails like those; I never saw any flats that weekend.

So, is it really that necessary to get that upgrade? Just follow air pressure recommendations and quit worrying?

·
Registered
119 Posts
This reply will probably not help you decide. But, I have beadlocks because I thought they would help to easily remove my tires for repairs or to put new tires on without using a tire machine (paying a shop). Not necessarily the case. The tires bead seats so securely to the inner rim lip that it is extremely difficult to remove without mallets or pry bars. Good luck on your quest.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Tire shops hate beadlocks because they take more labor for them to mount and dismount. They are just lazy! Beadlocks allow you to run lower tire pressure, and are stronger when hitting rocks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've run non-beadlocks down between 6-8psi in the sand and never had an issue blowing a bead. That being said, I was running between 15-20psi in the desert when I was drifting a corner, lost a bead when I contacted a rock and rolled a car so.....

·
Registered
191 Posts
IMO not needed, no worries, this is my 4th sxs over last 10 years and I’m just a weekend warrior cruiser on the rocky trails in PA with a trip to H&M a couple of times a year and never popped a bead. Throw in a couple Atv’s long away and I’ve never had issues. Just needed a plug or 2 over the years from a puncture. Great if you have em or want em.
Just got back from H&M this past weekend and most machines did not have beadlocks and didn’t see anyone on the trails with a popped tire.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you do get Beadlocks, Get the Alba Racing - Crusher Beadlocks. They are the very best. Billet aluminum instead of forged. Best on the market. I have 38" Super Swamper TSL SX Bias ties on mine. This is what the winning rock bouncers mostly use. I just like hill climbing with a little rock crawling too. You can lower your tire pressure down to 6 pounds if you want. They have differant color rings with black wheels. I use black on black because my Honda Talon 1000R is green and Didn't want clashing colors. The edges of the holes are machined and looks crazy cool.
The Price is only $269 each with a little shipping. Everyone loves these wheels. Don't buy the cheap forged wheels when you can get these for the same price.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You have to admit they look cool though. It’s a bling factor if nothing else!
I am 75 yrs old, and recently bought headlock wheels, running 12 lbs in Baja sand washes, feel more comfortable having bead locks, plus If I have a tire issue near home I feel I can drive home to repair tire, run tire flat on deadlocks. Factory tires and wheels, had a flat and no spare tire, damaged the rim but replaced wheels and tires something everyone eventually does. I am very happy with my new 15x30 tires and 6-1 off set deadlock wheels. with a 1.5 rear tire spacer.

·
Registered
1000X4 Live Valve, on order
16 Posts
Pilotom, did you keep any of your stock tires and wheels when you went to beads? I'm down there late this week at El Dorado, hopefully with my new Talon. If you still have one or so I'd like to buy it from you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pilotom, did you keep any of your stock tires and wheels when you went to beads? I'm down there late this week at El Dorado, hopefully with my new Talon. If you still have one or so I'd like to buy it from you.
I have five 20" rims with 35" tires for sale. $1000 I paid $2125. The four on the ground only have around 400 mles on them. the spare has never been on the ground.

·
Registered
1000X4 Live Valve, on order
16 Posts
I have five 20" rims with 35" tires for sale. $1000 I paid $2125. The four on the ground only have around 400 mles on them. the spare has never been on the ground.
Thanks 4u. That's a very good deal but i don't want to go to 35's/20's at this time.

·
Registered
2021 1000X Live Valve
95 Posts
I am running Method 410 rims with "bead grip". I find it is a great system, and for me makes a bead lock redundant.

·
Registered
28 Posts
When you ride hard ypur going to roll a tire off the bead on stock wheels once your stranded on trail by yourself with bead rolled off a couple times their worth the money it never happens when you want it to

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't ride hard, but i like the trails. Trees, rocks are always part of the trail. I like doing light rock crawls, bead locks are a must for rocks, imo.
And yes Ticster, they look cool too.

·
Registered
1 Posts

1. I am a new SxS owner living in Ohio, and got hooked on these machines by renting one down at the Hatfield McCoy trails. I don't go crazy with it, and love the trails. Intending on hitting trails in KY, WV, OH, TN.

2. Never heard of bead locks until I rented a SxS at Hatfield McCoy and saw some. My Kawasaki rental had none, but I made it through The Rock House anyway. I was absolutely amazed at the sideways pressure those tires (without bead locks) took while staying on the rims.

3. I have no idea how often these SxS tires break a bead on hard trails like those; I never saw any flats that weekend.

So, is it really that necessary to get that upgrade? Just follow air pressure recommendations and quit worrying?

Beadlocks serve 1 purpose IMHO, and that is to allow you to drive with a flat. This is key if you do any racing or if you are taking long trips into the woods. Being able to drive it back to the truck & trailer, or being able to complete a lap to get back to the pits, is worth all the $ you pay for them. I went with some Tusk beadlocks and they are reasonably priced and have survived a full race season in the Northeast which is some rough/rocky terrain.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Very few of us have the necessary HP or Torque to spin a tire of the bead. Not to say that it can’t happen, but unless your drifting your car with low tire pressure all the time or crawling some really treacherous trails bead locks aren’t probably necessary it’s more of a bling thing..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts