Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled this little number when my back tires got caught in a rut around a left hand turn. I know ill get the usual "you should haves" from you guys so spare me. My left hand came off the wheel when it hit the ground. I wasnt reaching to brace my fall. The impact just knocked it off. No damage to the car other than powdercoat and a broken mirror. No injuries. Just goes to show how quick it can happen. I could have avoided this in 100 different ways, but I guess now I know the limit. I dont regret a single second of it.

2021 Live valve in 2wd suspension in normal. Enjoy!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Pulled this little number when my back tires got caught in a rut around a left hand turn. I know ill get the usual "you should haves" from you guys so spare me. My left hand came off the wheel when it hit the ground. I wasnt reaching to brace my fall. The impact just knocked it off. No damage to the car other than powdercoat and a broken mirror. No injuries. Just goes to show how quick it can happen. I could have avoided this in 100 different ways, but I guess now I know the limit. I dont regret a single second of it.

Sounds like you're alright though, no injuries?

I rolled my 2021 1000x 4 live valve a few weeks back. I have tree kickers they saved my ass. Just one scratch, I'd highly recommend them.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
looks like...fun... lol. I have not rolled ours....yet. The plan is to never roll it. Plans don't always go accordingly.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sounds like you're alright though, no injuries?

I rolled my 2021 1000x 4 live valve a few weeks back. I have tree kickers they saved my ass. Just one scratch, I'd highly recommend them.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I did the same thing with my X4LV. The factory Honda sliders/kickers/nerf bars really protected the machine with only some minor scratched to the graphics. No more donuts for me!

·
Registered
305 Posts

Glad you are ok. Do you run 2wd most of the time? Probably one of the best features on the Talon is i4WD. I always have it on except on pavement. One time I forgot to turn it back on after having to run a bit on pavement. I was going pretty good and saw a turn I wanted to take. I hit the brakes and the rear tires locked up and I start sliding. I wasn’t goin to make the turn so I aborted. If I had it in i4WD, I would have not lost control due to the electronically balanced braking. It’s like traction control on a corvette.

if you don’t use it, try out some hard braking off then the same thing on. Also going around corners on say a slippery hard pack dirt road or trail.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
glad to hear you didn't get hurt

confirms my personal decision to keep the window nets up at all times
I wish my window nets could connect. The guy who welded up my cage didnt add the tabs back. The nets are hanging down on the doors. Now that the cage is coming off for touchups ill be adding teh window net tabs back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad you are ok. Do you run 2wd most of the time? Probably one of the best features on the Talon is i4WD. I always have it on except on pavement. One time I forgot to turn it back on after having to run a bit on pavement. I was going pretty good and saw a turn I wanted to take. I hit the brakes and the rear tires locked up and I start sliding. I wasn’t goin to make the turn so I aborted. If I had it in i4WD, I would have not lost control due to the electronically balanced braking. It’s like traction control on a corvette.

if you don’t use it, try out some hard braking off then the same thing on. Also going around corners on say a slippery hard pack dirt road or trail.
Full disclosure I had one of the most stressful weeks of my life with work. I packed up the Talon and told my wife I was going to go blow off some steam. Took it off the trailer, cranked up the tunes and started to decompress. Enough to not notice I never switched it into i4WD. I was having so much fun with the ass end hanging out I never even though of it UNTIL we flipped the car back over. I only turn 4wd off to make sharp turns. It seems to have a sharper turning radius in 2wd. I must have turned it off when we were moving into our new house squeezing all of our junk into the garage. Lesson learned, I check every time I get in the car now. Its 4wd or nothing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wish my window nets could connect. The guy who welded up my cage didnt add the tabs back. The nets are hanging down on the doors. Now that the cage is coming off for touchups ill be adding teh window net tabs back.
Thanks for sharing. I somehow think I would have had the exact same response as you in the video.

I was able to cut off the tabs from the oem cage and weld them onto the new one. I was able to attach the top rear of the nets to the new cage without adding any loops.

btw, I also use I4WD all the time except for pavement and tight turns. I forgot to turn it on after a short pavement run and got sideways on a slippery trail in the rain. My non-Talon friends were laughing at me for getting myself stuck sideways until I put it in 4wd and maneuvered out like I was on pavement.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Thanks very much for sharing this video! This really opened my eyes at how things can go bad real fast when your tires get caught in an unexpected rut in the road. And also thanks for explaining how your hand came off the wheel even when you didn't want it to. Another eye-opener for me.

This should help all of us to be more careful and aware, even though most of us (ME!) still like speed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts