Honda Talon Forum banner

Anyone tried the KWT Particle Separator?

15K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  TOGR 
#1 ·
KWT X2 Particle Separator for 2019 - 2021 Honda Talon — Best Particle Separator for ATV and UTVs - KWT Filters

This one is passive, no electric fan to force the vortex that separates the dirt from the air, so much easier to install. And it doesn't have the odd intake like the Honda S&B separator so may be more compatible with other accessories like rear windows and spare tire mounts (which I have both). It is about $50 less than the Honda S&B, when bought with the standard clamping system.

I would love to hear if anyone has tried it.

#5 ·
Yes I have, check out my review. 😎👍🏻

#6 ·
KWT X2 Particle Separator for 2019 - 2021 Honda Talon — Best Particle Separator for ATV and UTVs - KWT Filters

This one is passive, no electric fan to force the vortex that separates the dirt from the air, so much easier to install. And it doesn't have the odd intake like the Honda S&B separator so may be more compatible with other accessories like rear windows and spare tire mounts (which I have both). It is about $50 less than the Honda S&B, when bought with the standard clamping system.

If you type KWT into the search bar, you will see all the various posts about it.👍🏻

#7 ·

I have been using one for well over a year now. I did testing on the KWT unit for ken, the designer and owner of the company, and have been using it ever since. It is a very effective and worthy option that will save you a tremendous amount of Honda filter money over time. As you know, it does not require any wiring, has no electric motors to go bad and it makes no noise. It is easily mountable in a few convenient locations and can be used with a rear windscreen. If you search for KWT on this site, you will find many posts on the KWT. If I can be of any further info, just ask.

Attachments

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
A member a of this forum sent me privately a test document from S&B claiming the KWT was highly inefficient, in fact no better than just the filter alone. KWT responded here. FAQs — Best Particle Separator for ATV and UTVs - KWT Filters

Based on this alone, I would never buy any S&B product.
S&B's test is more accurate than you have been lead to misbelieve. S&B somewhat twisted the test to make it what they wanted and then KWT twisted one minor part of S&B's results to invalidate the entire test. Don't ever base your opinion/results/efficacy on any companies website propaganda, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Truth is, they both work but the S&B eliminates about 5-10 times as much dirt as the KWT. As far as I can tell, the KWT is about 80% effective and will make your filter last about 5 times as long (20% of the dirt gets through so it takes 5 times as long for the filter to plug). The S&B is over 95% effective and will make your filter last 20 to 30 times as long (less than 5% of the dirt gets through so the filter will last at least 20 times as long). They are both worth every penny and the S&B will cost less in the long run but requires power and makes a little noise.

Here is my machine in very dusty and sandy conditions in Utah. This filter has over 2,000 miles on it with an S&B (my first few filters lasted around 300 miles each)...

KWT with 2,000 miles on it per @HavasuDave 2000 KWT Review...

I don't care what some companies "Test Results" say. Real world test results say both separators work. One just happens to work better than the other.

#11 ·
They are both propaganda and my statement stands. I would never buy a product from S&B. You win by having a great product, not by disparaging your competition. If you resort to that, you don’t have a great product and are trying to hide that fact. It is just lazy and a sign of a poorly run company.

And if you actually are providing full disclosure about your pictures, the KWT picture was with their Generation 1 product which has been updated and improved.

#12 ·
And if you actually are providing full disclosure about your pictures, the KWT picture was with their Generation 1 product which has been updated and improved.
OK, Full disclosure. That pic is from the latest and greatest X2 model, I got a screen grab from this recent review here...

#15 ·
I have the KWT particle separator. It is nothing short of amazing. No electrical and no obnoxious fan noise.

I sat in a rzr that had an S&B mounted the same as the Talon. Even wearing headsets, the fan noise was nothing short of horrible. It did blend in with the ambient noise at around 20mph but anything slower was unacceptably loud.

#16 ·
I
I'm running the KWT and am very pleased with it. The filter looks new after 1200 miles of moderately dusty but very sandy conditions. I can dump the tray in less than five minutes and it's ready to go.The sand in the tray was one weekends ride. I rode in a talon that was running the S&B, and while I'm sure it works fine, the fan was very annoying, did not care for that aspect.

#18 ·
I View attachment 2031 View attachment 2033 I'm running the KWT and am very pleased with it. The filter looks new after 1200 miles of moderately dusty but very sandy conditions. I can dump the tray in less than five minutes and it's ready to go.The sand in the tray was one weekends ride. I rode in a talon that was running the S&B, and while I'm sure it works fine, the fan was very annoying, did not care for that aspect.
Some kind of a prefilter system is required on the Talon due to the poorly designed system. As for the filter, I think they have a good stock filter.
I have the S&B on my Talon and believe it to be the best prefilter system currently available.
Mine is mounted above the roof and has a protective frame work around it. I also have the RC2 filter which is cleanable with compressed air or washable. I highly recommend the RC2 filter.
I can not hear the S&B with the engine running and no headset on. but I do have a full safety glass rear window which helps.
And I also wear head phones for communications and blue tooth to my phone which really helps ride sound quality.

I drove a friends Talon that had a Uni filter prefilter setup mounted in the same location as most people mount the the KWT. He did not have a rear window and when you stepped on the gas pedal, it was extremely loud and annoying.
I have not rode in a Talon with the KTW filter, but would think you would get a certain amount of air intake noise also if you are not running a rear window.
I think the KWT is a fairly good system, but not up to par with the S&B.
That's just my two cents for what it's worth...DRK View attachment 2050 View attachment 2051
Most people mount their S&Bs up high or above the roof facing forward like yours, definitely the best place for the cleanest air. I‘ve never seen one mounted low facing backward, so it may do a better job but the test would be to see one mounted in the same location on the same type of vehicle to know for sure. I would have mounted mine high facing forward, but that would have blocked my rear view and chase lights so I opted to mount it low and out of the way. Mounting to the side might be a better location and guys with rear windows do that. I tried it for a while with the first version KWT and I do think it had better results there, but it also blocked some of my view to the rear, so I moved it back.

#17 ·
Some kind of a prefilter system is required on the Talon due to the poorly designed system. As for the filter, I think they have a good stock filter.
I have the S&B on my Talon and believe it to be the best prefilter system currently available.
Mine is mounted above the roof and has a protective frame work around it. I also have the RC2 filter which is cleanable with compressed air or washable. I highly recommend the RC2 filter.
I can not hear the S&B with the engine running and no headset on. but I do have a full safety glass rear window which helps.
And I also wear head phones for communications and blue tooth to my phone which really helps ride sound quality.

I drove a friends Talon that had a Uni filter prefilter setup mounted in the same location as most people mount the the KWT. He did not have a rear window and when you stepped on the gas pedal, it was extremely loud and annoying.
I have not rode in a Talon with the KTW filter, but would think you would get a certain amount of air intake noise also if you are not running a rear window.
I think the KWT is a fairly good system, but not up to par with the S&B.
That's just my two cents for what it's worth...DRK Automotive tire Automotive design Slope Composite material Tints and shades
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

#20 ·
I would like to see the results of the S&B mounted like the KWT also.
And the KWT mounted like my S&B, We might all be surprised at the results.
Let's hope someone puts this to the test....
For the last 1000+ miles, my S&B has been mounted about 2" behind my back window. It is a huge dust bowl back there and has no ram air effect and it still works as good as when I had it on the roof like yours. There is really no reason to run it backwards. You just need a couple inches between the S&B and the rear window and it works perfectly. Also, running it backwards would spit all the ejected dust right into the cab.

With the back window, I can only hear it with the engine off. If I am next to a structure, I can barely hear it with the engine running. As soon as I start to move, I never hear it at all. Plus mine is wires to come on only after the engine starts so forget it is even there most of the time.

#23 ·
I am very happy with my KWT, mounted as most are, behind the passenger seat headrest. Picture below is my original filter after 3000 miles, almost all of them in Baja. I am sure the S&W is every bit as good.

However, if I had it to do over again, I think I would just go the Uni pre-filter route. Much cheaper, simpler, and very effective.

Grille Rectangle Textile Mesh Art

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.