Honda Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Anyone have experience on the Rubicon trail with their Talon?

My Buddy is heading there in August with his modified Tacoma so I’m sorely tempted to join him.

if so or run similar, any highly suggested mods. Please keep in mind I’d rather not mod at this time what I don’t have to vs using this and an excuse to mod.

Currently:
X4 Live valve
32” BFG K3
Superatv front lower control arms
Winch w recovery gear
Rear hitch w shackle
Light bar front and light pods rear (
Front and rear Windshield

thanks,

s

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have wondered if some of the more difficult sections have bypass routes in case your vehicle cannot do that particular section? Does anyone know, I have never been there myself?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Get yourself a good skid plate and your pretty much there, and to answer another posters question, yes there are bypasses for the worst spots in the trail. That being said your still going to through some tough spots, the one that bugged me most was Cadillac Hill which has no bypass. It would be nice to have a spare tire, a good patch kit and air source if not. We went through it in our 1974 CJ5, but I have done enough trails with the Jeep and the Talon to know the Talon is going to get through the trail without any major problems if you know how to pick a good line.

Hi All,

Anyone have experience on the Rubicon trail with their Talon?

My Buddy is heading there in August with his modified Tacoma so I’m sorely tempted to join him.

if so or run similar, any highly suggested mods. Please keep in mind I’d rather not mod at this time what I don’t have to vs using this and an excuse to mod.

Currently:
X4 Live valve
32” BFG K3
Superatv front lower control arms
Winch w recovery gear
Rear hitch w shackle
Light bar front and light pods rear (
Front and rear Windshield

thanks,

s

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been through many times with modified landcruisers. I'm sure you will get through but will be on 3 wheels a lot of the time. It will be stressful and will require a few people helping from time to time as you will fall into holes between rocks that are too deep to drive out of. Fortunately the Talon is light enough to yank out. Personally. I would not put my Talon through such abuse.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been through many times with modified landcruisers. I'm sure you will get through but will be on 3 wheels a lot of the time. It will be stressful and will require a few people helping from time to time as you will fall into holes between rocks that are too deep to drive out of. Fortunately the Talon is light enough to yank out. Personally. I would not put my Talon through such abuse.
Thanks for sharing real experience as well. I do prefer making choices that lessen stress, though as you know there's a bit of a fine line between stress/adrenaline/challenge. That said, I don't like the idea of risking significant damage.

In addition there's the logistical issue of needing to drop the Talon at start and then driving 2 hours out and back (I think) to drop the trailer at the finish.

I enjoy a real challenge but not into undue punishment...will consider...

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just took my 2021 stock Honda 1000r from lone lake to Buck Island this last weekend. I noticed instantly that the rocks in areas are so big that they will swallow up my 28” tires and at times have to power through. I was able to make all obstacles but did end up with some damage to my side plastics and undercarriage. Your bigger tires will most definitely help just concerned that your gearing will be a bit taller than what mine is with 28” tires. I love to know how the tires work on the trail. I had one scary moment when I was stuck between some rocks and was powering out of it when my trans went into a neutral state and then my gages started to flash the engine light and the wrench light. I turned it off and jump out thinking that I broke a u joint but nothing felt broke so I got back in and started it back up and all was good. I hit the gas and drove out like nothing happened. Other than that I was extremely impressed with the talon performance supper stable never felt like we would roll over and sticks to the rocks no slipping. My next year plan is to get 32” tires, rock sliders and go to Rubicon springs and back out about another 2 hour drive in from Buck Island. I used about a half tank of fuel. Please let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have both a jeep and a talon. I have been through rubicon many times. Now for the disclaimer. IN MY OPINION. I will not take my talon on rubicon. The trail is being run by mostly jeeps on 40s. That creates alot of big holes. Even as capable as the talon is rock crawling I just don't want to subject it to that. If you do go try going late in the season when most of the trail has settled in and people have stacked rocks in some of the harder spots. I have no doubt the talon would do great, but you will have to throttle through some stuff which is never good. Remember it's just an opinion. Have fun. Rubber side down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As a newbie to rock crawling, is it essentially unavoidable to hit your undercarriage and scrape?

I go slow but once the rocks get a certain size it just seems unavoidable.

if going slowly totry to minimize the force of the impacts, can one avoids damage with a skid plate or is damage also inevitable?

My Tacoma Buddy uses the rock sliders in a big way. Are they the same effectiveness on a Talon?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts